Who wants to talk some Husker football!?

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
I question the legitimacy of Southern Miss...not because they are bad but because the BCS (don't get me started on a playoff system because we will never agree on that) says they are bad by their conference affiliation. That is what the current system comes down to. Affiliation.

Now, let's play with the Huskers schedule. This year they are home to PSU @Southern Miss (I thought this was in Lincoln but...), Home to Utah St and home to Troy State.

Next year, their Non conference should look like this (as an pure example: @PSU, home vs Southern Miss, @USC, home vs New Mexico St.

The next year: Home vs USC, @ NMSU, home vs FSU, @ Michigan St.

So next year they are Home vs. Southern Miss and @ Pitt. they have an open which I hope they fill with a quality opp. we shall see how the new AD does. They played Penn Stat last year so that series is over for now. We do have USC scheduled for 06 @USC & 07 Home.

So what is your opinion on a playoff? I think they need one bad! The BCS sucks!

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I question the legitimacy of Southern Miss...not because they are bad but because the BCS (don't get me started on a playoff system because we will never agree on that) says they are bad by their conference affiliation. That is what the current system comes down to. Affiliation.

Now, let's play with the Huskers schedule. This year they are home to PSU @Southern Miss (I thought this was in Lincoln but...), Home to Utah St and home to Troy State.

Next year, their Non conference should look like this (as an pure example: @PSU, home vs Southern Miss, @USC, home vs New Mexico St.

The next year: Home vs USC, @ NMSU, home vs FSU, @ Michigan St.

Hey Southern Miss beat Illinois last year ;)

Alot of Husker fans were thinking we would loose to Southern Miss this coming year but with the new coaches there seems to be a new intensity so we shall see.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by EndZone
So next year they are Home vs. Southern Miss and @ Pitt. they have an open which I hope they fill with a quality opp. we shall see how the new AD does. They played Penn Stat last year so that series is over for now. We do have USC scheduled for 06 @USC & 07 Home.

So what is your opinion on a playoff? I think they need one bad! The BCS sucks!

But I am only offering one patsy opponent per year and they, like most other schools, schedule 2 patsies.

I don't mind the BCS overall. I would like a playoff obviously but it must be a playoff in which every D1 team has an "equal" chance...just like the NCAA tournament. There are 11 D1 conferences and each conference champion should get an automatic bid. Then there are 5 at large bids that can be handed out to the top 5 non conference winners based on BCS rating...with no single conference getting more than one at large bid. The at large bids will almost always be from the 6 power football conferences that are currently covered under the BCS.

No independents will be taken into the system thus forcing Notre Dame among a few others to get hooked into a confernece affiliation. They piss me off for so many reasons and I am sick of ND thinking they are high and mighty and above the rest of college football.

I think this is the only way a playoff system will pass the legal test (bet all your money lawsuits will be flying if a playoff comes along that excludes a bunch of teams because they are not in the Big 6).

Where the BCS is good, is that it keeps people talking alot about college football. In a cloudy sports world, anything, good or bad, that keeps people talking about your product is a good thing.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be wild in Hattiesburg. Southern Miss takes it football seriously. And remember, the last time the two played, Nebraska only beat USM 20-13 in Lincoln.

It will definately be the biggest football game ever at USM. It will be like the FSU @ Louisville game last season, but with more intense fans.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to go take a Husker - hope the crapper's free.

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
If you smack the no. 1, 2 or 3 team in the country in the championship game, does it really matter who you played in week two?

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dback Jon
It will be wild in Hattiesburg. Southern Miss takes it football seriously. And remember, the last time the two played, Nebraska only beat USM 20-13 in Lincoln.

It will definately be the biggest football game ever at USM. It will be like the FSU @ Louisville game last season, but with more intense fans.

That is going to be good. It easily could be a Husker loss.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All right, a serious legal question for Husker fans:

"A Husker football player and Husker cheerleader get married in Nebraska. Then, they move to another state and get divorced. Legally, are they still considered to be cousins?"

Thanks in advance for the answers. :D

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Who would have known that Husker football would dominate the college football discussion.....?

We'll, I would have.

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
Who would have known that Husker football would dominate the college football discussion.....?

We'll, I would have.

It's because they dominate college football :D

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by EndZone
It's because they dominate college football :D

Except for Big XII games against the Texas Longhorns in Lincoln.

1-4 against the Longhorns since the inception of the Big XII. That is a terrible record against a team that never wins a big game and had John Makesussixandfive, and Mack "coach February" Brown at the helm. Sure the cornhuskers had one of their worst teams ever in 2002 but to lose to a team quarterbacked by the most overrated QB in Texas history, who only played because his daddy was famous, on one of the dumbest plays in Nebraska football annals? And fumbling away a perfect season in Austin in 1999 losing to a Texas team that only scored 12 points in their last 2 games that season.

How can Nebraska win all those NC's and have a 3 year (47 games) home winning streak and then just blow up whenever they play the Longhorns.

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It is because I moved to Texas and jinxed us. Now that I live in Arizona it won't happen anymore.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
All right, a serious legal question for Husker fans:

"A Husker football player and Husker cheerleader get married in Nebraska. Then, they move to another state and get divorced. Legally, are they still considered to be cousins?"

Thanks in advance for the answers. :D

Assuming they aren't brother and sister, then yes. Nebraska legal precedent has stated for years that the blood ties wouldn't change even when they divorce. The landmark case for this was Billy Bob vs Betty Jo 1971. The assumption was they wouldn;t be cousins still but the Nebraska Supreme Court ruled that even though divorced they were still cousins. Many families round the state were brought back together because of this ruling since so many of these divorces had divided the family units.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Texas has officially replaced Ohio State as the biggest bunch of underachievers in college football history.

Wow. That IS saying something!

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Texas has officially replaced Ohio State as the biggest bunch of underachievers in college football history.

If the Huskers got recruiting classes like either of those schools....

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Huskers got recruiting classes like either of those schools....

...they would still run the option even though they have passing game threats. Cmon 11, one hard push into the 20th century for the Huskers offense.

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
...they would still run the option even though they have passing game threats. Cmon 11, one hard push into the 20th century for the Huskers offense.

That's what they said in the '80's.
That was three championships ago.

I say run the OzBone until someone can stop it.
Then huck one for an 80 yard TD.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's what they said in the '80's.
That was three championships ago.

I say run the OzBone until someone can stop it.
Then huck one for an 80 yard TD.

But it is harder and harder for them to run it effectively against the top teams they face because those players are so damn fast now. and they can recover from their mistakes easier than Baylor and Kansas can. They need to update themselves again. Run the hope-bone all you want but you have to start throwing the ball some to keep these fast defenses honest.

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
But it is harder and harder for them to run it effectively against the top teams they face because those players are so damn fast now. and they can recover from their mistakes easier than Baylor and Kansas can. They need to update themselves again. Run the hope-bone all you want but you have to start throwing the ball some to keep these fast defenses honest.

I don't think it's the scheme or the speed that's the root of their problems right now. It's players. The scholarship limitations are the equalizer right now.
Miami's defenses in the 80's and 90's were way too fast but eventually, when NU's defensive philosophy changed to speed as well, it pretty much became a wash.
In 95 Miami had one of the fastest D's around (Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp). That didn't stop the fullback Schlesinger from busting two second half TD's right up the gut.
Speed doesn't always win.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's the scheme or the speed that's the root of their problems right now. It's players. The scholarship limitations are the equalizer right now.

It is not just scholarship limits, but also Title IX. Nebraska has always been famous for its walk-on program, but Title IX even limits that, to a degree.

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dback Jon
It is not just scholarship limits, but also Title IX. Nebraska has always been famous for its walk-on program, but Title IX even limits that, to a degree.

Absolutely. I think it hurt a lot of the top programs football wise.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread should have been started in the College Sports board. Who started it, a Nebraska fan? :D

"N is for Knowledge." :thumbup: