Who would you guys cut?

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Everyone seems to be upset that we haven't spent 80 million on a FA. I would like to know where all the people are that were saying that we were a playoff team last year. There is a huge something to be said for continuity and I believe we only have 6 open roster spots.

I personally would like to see them sign one of the Tackles out there and I believe that their plan is to probably draft Joe Thomas (I really think he will be there at 5). If he is not there, I think they trade down a couple and draft Levi. Either option is making Gorin expendable. The other option is to trade into the teens and get the best LB in the draft then go Tackle in round 2 getting another late second rounder.

If these moves come together I think we have REALLY improved all areas of weakness in the off season and with the better coaching would have a real chance to make the playoffs.

Remember that we were 4-2 in the division with a game we should have never lost to St. Louis, seems to me that we are going about it the right way.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone seems to be upset that we haven't spent 80 million on a FA. I would like to know where all the people are that were saying that we were a playoff team last year. There is a huge something to be said for continuity and I believe we only have 6 open roster spots.

I personally would like to see them sign one of the Tackles out there and I believe that their plan is to probably draft Joe Thomas (I really think he will be there at 5). If he is not there, I think they trade down a couple and draft Levi. Either option is making Gorin expendable. The other option is to trade into the teens and get the best LB in the draft then go Tackle in round 2 getting another late second rounder.

If these moves come together I think we have REALLY improved all areas of weakness in the off season and with the better coaching would have a real chance to make the playoffs.

Remember that we were 4-2 in the division with a game we should have never lost to St. Louis, seems to me that we are going about it the right way.

Good post BD. Some people just don't like to hear that the Cards might actually have a plan.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

1. We only had 32 mil in cap space, which should have been more than ample to upgrade at least one position where we needed it.

2. I was a believer that we would go 10-6 or 11-5 this year. That's before RG decide to take a nap when FA started and let our divison rivials specifically SF to improve thier rosters drastically.

3. Although there is something to be said for continuity there is also something to be said for incompetance (Rod Graves). Not only that but also there is something to be said for having back-ups start in key posistions. Particualry on the O-line.

4. We were 4-2 last year. That's before SF got a shutdown corner and now has a great coner tandem to match our WR's. And a good LB corp. to match up well against our offense. I have a feeling Leinart will see a lot of Mr. Banta-Cain and Mr. Lawson this season. We also let our best Olineman and have yet to replace him.

5. IMO RG set this team back for at the very least this year. IMO we will be picking in the top 5 again next year. And probably every year as long as the Bidwills are the owners and RG is here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good post BD. Some people just don't like to hear that the Cards might actually have a plan.

The plan is slow in developing. As a matter of fact it is past Biblical proportions... thinking about Moses wandering in the wilderness for only 40 years. I also like your use of the word "might." :)

Duetto

Rookie
Reaction score
Plan, you've seen it...... hire a new coach, figure a way to desolve cap space to look like we went nuts in FA.... deposit season ticket money.

RG increase was prorated to how much he could save the B's. His raise was well earned.

Plan complete.... see ya on the other side of a 4 win season

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can't cut anyone. At this rate, we don't have enough bodies, much less "players."

OP
OP
Big Deal

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am looking at this in the perspective that I would rather keep players like Fitzgerald, Rolle, and Leinart than I would having some of these crap free agents making 3X as much as they are worth.

People need to stop crying about what SF did, there is no way in the world we would have paid 10 million a year to that guy. Now all of the sudden Banta-Cain is the next coming? Sweet Christmas!

I will go on record right now stating that I believe we will beat SF both times next year.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I am looking at this in the perspective that I would rather keep players like Fitzgerald, Rolle, and Leinart than I would having some of these crap free agents making 3X as much as they are worth.

People need to stop crying about what SF did, there is no way in the world we would have paid 10 million a year to that guy. Now all of the sudden Banta-Cain is the next coming? Sweet Christmas!

I will go on record right now stating that I believe we will beat SF both times next year.

:thumbup: Without a doubt...and we'll go at least 4-2 in the division again.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say Berry or Warner would be the most likely to get cut. Not until after the draft though.

But, I think we stand pat and cut no one.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
I'd say Berry or Warner would be the most likely to get cut. Not until after the draft though.

But, I think we stand pat and cut no one.

Why would we cut Berry or Warner? Experienced, capable, winning veteran players with great attitudes and the ability to coach up our younger players...both class acts in the community...there is no chance either will be cut...none

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would we cut Berry or Warner? Experienced, capable, winning veteran players with great attitudes and the ability to coach up our younger players...both class acts in the community...there is no chance either will be cut...none

I said that based on maybe taking a DE at #5 or a QB on day. I just picked them as most logical due to their age and high salaries. Either one would clear cap space.

I don't want to see either one cut.

seesred

Reaction score
There is no way we cut Warner or Berry this year. We need both those Vets and Berry if he can stay healthy will be a force this year as his body is well rested. We are talking cuts to early. We already cut players by not signing some of our restricted guys like Machlin and Davis by not putting a tender to him. I doubt we will see anyother cut down moves unless a spectacular offer comes our way for a player.

GBR

ny redbird

Reaction score
There is no way we cut Warner or Berry this year. We need both those Vets and Berry if he can stay healthy will be a force this year as his body is well rested. We are talking cuts to early. We already cut players by not signing some of our restricted guys like Machlin and Davis by not putting a tender to him. I doubt we will see anyother cut down moves unless a spectacular offer comes our way for a player.

GBR

Macklin & Davis were both unrestricted free agents.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I would cut Calvin Pace, and JJ Arrington. To free up a little space.

Then I would trade Bryant Johnson for draft picks, and free up some more space.

Why Johnson? Cause the Whiz will be running more 2 TE and I formation sets. Thus Johnson is expendable, and we can gamble that LeRon McCoy can take over the 3rd spot.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would cut Calvin Pace, and JJ Arrington. To free up a little space.

Then I would trade Bryant Johnson for draft picks, and free up some more space.

Why Johnson? Cause the Whiz will be running more 2 TE and I formation sets. Thus Johnson is expendable, and we can gamble that LeRon McCoy can take over the 3rd spot.

Agreed with Pace and Arrington. Long before even thinking about Warner and Berry.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plan, you've seen it...... hire a new coach, figure a way to desolve cap space to look like we went nuts in FA.... deposit season ticket money.

RG increase was prorated to how much he could save the B's. His raise was well earned.

Plan complete.... see ya on the other side of a 4 win season

Sigh. Nothing done to use up CAP space this year puts extra cash or profits into the Bidwills' pockets, this year or any year. There is no connection between the two. If anything, the Cards accelerated their outflow of cash, thereby lessening returns.

Dan Bickley also made that mistaken connection this morning in the R&G.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
I would cut Ross but since he is the closest player we have to an OT I guess we would have to keep him.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05