whos has been your biggest lost in the sports world(death)

BIGTONY

Registered
Reaction score
I KNOW ITS A BAD SUBJECT.BUT THINGS LIKE HAYWOOD IT BRINGS THE BEST OUT OF SOMEBODY.. maybe top 3 1..walter payton that was sad when he past away.i could still see him winning the superbowl just 20 years ago..i think i was like 8 years old. 2.. derrick thomas what a stud...played ball like know body could..he was a defence machine... 3.. lou gehrig ..i never seen him play..but that whole speech..that was awesome..in my personal life..some might know who i am..but im know thin rail..im not rich or not poor..but im very happy... god gave me a beatiful wife..and a awesome little boy..his name is nick 7 years old.i love my family so much..god gave a gift in both of them.. sometimes when your body is't perfect you use that as your shield..i would never think a big guy like me could have a wonderful wife and child..but i have allways been positive...i think thats what lou gehrig did too me...even though he was dying..he still said he was the greatest man on the planet... SO I SAY TOO MYSELF ALLWAYS BE HAPPY AND THANK GOD FOR ALL THE GOOD THINGS WE HAVE IN OUR LIFES..AND NEVER NEVER GIVE UP ON OUR CARDINALS..

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Reggie Lewis of the Celtics. Died of heart failure while shooting baskets at age 28. His death was extremely tragic.

Second is Len Bias. Such a total waste of talent.

The Celtics franchise has never recovered from either player's death, though Bias' was a bigger blow at the time.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JV Cain was the first physically dominant, well-conditioned athlete I can remember dying so unexpectedly. (It took place before drugs became so prevalent a part of our society).

Darryl Kyle's death shook me up the most, because he didn't die violently, in an accident or from a drug OD - he passed away at an early age from natural causes just like an older relative (or the really scary thought - "one of us") might.

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
I remember Joe Delaney of the Chiefs when he drowned trying to save the kids who were struggling in a pond.

That shook me up - I was a Raider fan at the time & Joe was a thorn in the Raider's side, but it was a reality check for me.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Hey yo BigTony! What's up? Long time no hear!

Good to see you back online!

Anywhoo...

I would have to say to Darryl Kyle's death really hit me the hardest. By all accounts, he was an excellent person, a devoted family-man, and we all saw how good he was on the field. When my wife wondered why I was so distraught over his passing I told her "he's the kind of guy you hope your son grows up to be, a true role-model..."

I think that sums it up...

seesred

Reaction score
Many years ago Benny Kid Parret. Died in the ring after being knocked out. I was a young kid but the sight of someone death in front of my eyes has never left me. I've hated boxing ever since and will not watch or support the idea of a man trying hard to kill another man by beating in his brain. Other deaths such as High School football players scare me as my Grandson plays Pop Warner. Even though I love to watch him and get into the game it sometimes scares me.

GBR

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by BIGTONY
I KNOW ITS A BAD SUBJECT.BUT THINGS LIKE HAYWOOD IT BRINGS THE BEST OUT OF SOMEBODY.. maybe top 3 1..walter payton that was sad when he past away.i could still see him winning the superbowl just 20 years ago..i think i was like 8 years old. 2.. derrick thomas what a stud...played ball like know body could..he was a defence machine... 3.. lou gehrig ..i never seen him play..but that whole speech..that was awesome..in my personal life..some might know who i am..but im know thin rail..im not rich or not poor..but im very happy... god gave me a beatiful wife..and a awesome little boy..his name is nick 7 years old.i love my family so much..god gave a gift in both of them.. sometimes when your body is't perfect you use that as your shield..i would never think a big guy like me could have a wonderful wife and child..but i have allways been positive...i think thats what lou gehrig did too me...even though he was dying..he still said he was the greatest man on the planet... SO I SAY TOO MYSELF ALLWAYS BE HAPPY AND THANK GOD FOR ALL THE GOOD THINGS WE HAVE IN OUR LIFES..AND NEVER NEVER GIVE UP ON OUR CARDINALS..

While I can't say that the death of any particular sports figure has ever personally effected me, I have to agree more people need to thank god for what they have.

I visit the chapel at my hospital reqularly on break just to say thank you.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I am a NASCAR freak.

Both Alan Kulwicki (spelling ???) and Davy Allison had an effect on me when they died.

Walter Payton's death bothered me as well.

BIGDADDY_REDBIRD

Registered
Reaction score
The sad reality of life is death. Nothing has affected me greater than the loss of 11 year old Jacob "Jake the Snake" Polluck. As a Coach & Parent, The pain in knowing that we control nothing, scares me because all we want to do is protect our children. Florence Griffith- Joyner's loss was tragic. But when it's adult you say "Hey it was their time" albeit sooner than expected. but when it's a child :confused: you just hurt & try to understand that God is doing his work, & he does'nt make mistakes..

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Surprised that nobody has mentioned Hank Gathers. Such a sad story, a young, strong man, seemingly invincible, collapsing and dying doing what he loved the most, playing basketball. Watching clips of Bo Kimble shooting left handed free throws in honor of Hank, and never missing still gives me chills. The sportscentury of Lou Gehrig and Walter Payton really show how loved these two were, with many grown men openly weeping at the thought of their death. Both extremely well done, and really moving.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ASUCHRIS
Surprised that nobody has mentioned Hank Gathers. Such a sad story, a young, strong man, seemingly invincible, collapsing and dying doing what he loved the most, playing basketball. Watching clips of Bo Kimble shooting left handed free throws in honor of Hank, and never missing still gives me chills. The sportscentury of Lou Gehrig and Walter Payton really show how loved these two were, with many grown men openly weeping at the thought of their death. Both extremely well done, and really moving.

Gathers really tore me & my bro up - we were really big fans of the team. Hank, Bo, Scooter et al were a fun team to watch.

Lyle Alzado dying bothered me a bit too. He was a guy who nothing on the planet scared him and was about the most meanest intimidating guy I can remember watching. To see him wither and die like that was really shocking.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Brook Berringer, senior QB for the '94 Huskers. Had just won a NC in come from behind fashion. Had an outside chance at getting drafted. Died in a plane crash.

Jake Young, two time All American lineman at NU in '88 and '89.
Killed in the Bali terrorist attack last year.

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Originally posted by CardNots
Thurmond Munson, Catcher - NY Yankees. Died in a small plane accident. I want to say early 70's.

August 2, 1979.

But always remember...YANKEES SUCK!

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by PortlandCardFan
I am a NASCAR freak.

Both Alan Kulwicki (spelling ???) and Davy Allison had an effect on me when they died.

Walter Payton's death bothered me as well.

I met Alan a few times years ago when he was starting out on the old ASA circuit with guys like Rusty Wallace, Mark Martin, and Joe Ruttman. Bobby Allison would sometimes race with them at the ASA races too. A friend of mine raced short tracks in Wisconsin, and Alan would sometimes be roaming around in the Pit area as a fan. He was one of the few that raced and owned his own NASCAR team instead of driving for an owner. He also went to school for Engineering, and came up with modifications in the NASCAR garages that the other NASCAR teams adopted and still use today. He also had a sense of humor when he ran his “Polish victory lap” after his first NASCAR victory. He was an impressive individual. Rest in peace Alan.

Last edited:

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Originally posted by Houdini
I met Alan a few times years ago when he was starting out on the old ASA circuit with guys like Rusty Wallace, Mark Martin, and Joe Ruttman. Bobby Allison would sometimes race with them at the ASA races too. A friend of mine raced short tracks in Wisconsin, and Alan would sometimes be roaming around in the Pit area as a fan. He was one of the few that raced and owned his own NASCAR team instead of driving for an owner. He also went to school for Engineering, and came up with modifications in the NASCAR garages that the other NASCAR teams adopted and still use today. He also had a sense of humor when he ran his “Polish victory lap” after his first NASCAR victory. He was an impressive individual. Rest in peace Alan.

Yeah... I always get a kick out of Rusty running a Polish Victory lap after he won a race to honor Alan. I think Alan will be the last Driver/Owner to win the Championship for a long, long time.

Ryan Newman sounds alot like Alan Kulwicki.

My current favorite drivers are Mark Martin, Matt Kenn... ah hell all of Rousch Racing.

I think it was Houdini that mentioned Dale Earnhardt got to him. I never liked him as a driver but I do have to say that he did a lot for NASCAR and it truely shocked me when he died in that accident.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Thurmon Munson's loss definately hit me the hardest.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Cory Stringer yet. I worry about all of our linemen every time I see them sweating it out in the hot Arizona practices/games.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wilt Chamberlain

I am not a big Laker fan but that team with Wilt, Jerry, et al was a great, great team.

I was always in awe of Wilt and his power. He was a bizarre character off the court but one of the greatest to ever play.

I was saddened by his death. Being 50 myself it seems far, far too young that he died.

Big Tony, enjoy that family and be sure to continue to give God the glory for that!

Peace!

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
Brook Berringer, senior QB for the '94 Huskers. Had just won a NC in come from behind fashion. Had an outside chance at getting drafted. Died in a plane crash.

Thats the one!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05