Who's your Haddadi & what does he do?

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Finally got to see Haddadi in action a little tonight and I wasn't very impressed. He moves decently for a big man and has big hands, but he's very limited offensively and looks pretty weak strength-wise for a 7"2 wide-framed guy. He reminds me of a weaker Iranian Jake Tsakalidis with better hands but worse offense.

With Gortat going down and Jermaine O'Neal missing a few games for his daughter's surgery, the guys rooting for the Suns to lose as many games a possible to get the best lottery chance should be pretty happy.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, he plays center. And with Frye, Gortat and O'Neal out, he's the only center left on the roster.

He is also the only Iranian to ever play in the NBA.

And finally, he has worn the highest jersey number ever worn by a Sun.

Other than that, there's not much else to say.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen him play, I think it's time for tiny ball. I'd start Marshall, Dragic, Tucker and the Wonder Twins (or maybe Duds instead of Marshall). I'd try to outpace our old SSOL teams and I'd leave every outside shooter uncovered.

Steve

Errntknght

Reaction score
I think we should bend over backwards to give our 'doubtful' players every opportunity to prove themselves. Start Haddadi, Beasley, and Diante along with whichever duo had the worst last practice. Then forget to substitute. The Laker pick is gone so we need to make a run at the top spot

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok, I think we can now say after the Rockets game that this thread is off base.

He has good hands, has a knack for getting open around the basket, blocks and alters shots, and can get a few rebounds. A decent back up, no doubt.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I think we can now say after the Rockets game that this thread is off base.

He has good hands, has a knack for getting open around the basket, blocks and alters shots, and can get a few rebounds. A decent back up, no doubt.

I have no idea what we have in him, I just wanted to sit him and go small because there is no way this team should succeed playing small ball. We lack the athleticism and shooters for that kind of game.

As for Haddadi, from a long term perspective, I'd like to see what he can do once he's in basketball shape. I'd also like to see him get into the gym and strengthen his hands, forearms and wrists.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Which is more likely?

1. There's a reason that Haddadi has barely gotten off the bench in eight seasons in the NBA, and he just happened to have a fluke good game shortly after bouncing to the Suns.

2. The Suns have uncovered a diamond in the rough, a center with good size and solid role-playing ability, who somehow managed to languish in complete obscurity for his entire professional career.

Personally, I'll go with #1.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is more likely?

1. There's a reason that Haddadi has barely gotten off the bench in eight seasons in the NBA, and he just happened to have a fluke good game shortly after bouncing to the Suns.

2. The Suns have uncovered a diamond in the rough, a center with good size and solid role-playing ability, who somehow managed to languish in complete obscurity for his entire professional career.

Personally, I'll go with #1.

Probably closer to something in the middle.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Probably closer to something in the middle.

Nah, probably closer to #1.

There's a reason guys are in the NBA, they can pretty much all play. The difference between bad players and good players (and good players and great players) is their ability to produce on a consistent, night after night basis.

Sure Hadadi had one good game, wake me when he strings 10 in a row. Otherwise he's what he is, a deep bench player you keep around because he's cheap, tall, and provides 6 fouls on an opposing big man.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There's a reason guys are in the NBA, they can pretty much all play. The difference between bad players and good players (and good players and great players) is their ability to produce on a consistent, night after night basis.

Sure Hadadi had one good game, wake me when he strings 10 in a row. Otherwise he's what he is, a deep bench player you keep around because he's cheap, tall, and provides 6 fouls on an opposing big man.

Sounds like an asset to me, especially if we ever start playing defense the way we've occasionally talked about playing. Obviously there is a reason this guy has spent his 5 year NBA career on the bench but the Rockets game was not his only decent performance and he's still young enough to improve with regular playing time. I don't think we have a star in the making but it's not inconceivable that he could work his way into a solid backup role. Unlikely perhaps but not inconceivable.

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There was no place for a player like Haddadi in the DAntoni/Gentry system, but it seems to me that there is in the more convential offense/defense this team is now playing. He is a big body that takes up space and rebounds. He has had a few more than a handful of good games over the years and was a very well-liked player in Memphis.

It can't hurt to keep him around, especially if Gortat is on the block. There is a place for the Mark Eaton style players of the world.

Last edited:

Errntknght

Reaction score
Haddadi rebounds and blocks shots at a higher rate than any other Suns player and thus far that is during a 'down' year for him. (But, I know, if he plays longer minutes the rates may well drop some from fatigue and being a better known quantity.) His terrible FG and FT percentages this year are also way down, about 60% of his (5 year) career averages. He's 27 but he's probably not played that much bball in his life so he still might have some upside. (His whole career has been with Memphis so his minimal PT is due to only one coaching staff.) I believe, with more PT and feeling like he is a contributor to the team, he could well be a fine backup C. Who knows, Hunter might be able to get him to defend and block shots without committing so many fouls.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the warts will become apparent with more exposure but so far I really like Haddadi. He's having another decent game tonight against Denver and he's looking like a real basketball player out there.

Steve

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's see. Tonight our one game flash in the pan played 19 minutes, scored 13 points, grabbed 8 rebounds, was 5-5 from the line, and blocked 2 shots.

:shrug:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
He looks pretty damn good for a back-up Center. Definitely seems to be better than I expected. He rebounds the way a Center should, he blocks some shots, and alters others, seems to be able to score around the rim, and he seems pretty active and hard-working. He appears to be a really good guy/ teammate as well. For as little as he makes, he is a good back-up Center.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its only two decent games, but he does at least seem to be playing better than Robin Lopez did for us. Lopez was a better offensive player, but a horrible rebounder for his size and frame. Sometimes big guys just don't click until later, with a guy like Haddadi, maybe much later. His game is dependent upon size and effort, not athleticism, so he could be effective until a much later age than many. The guy could have 10 productive years left--that is if he can be productive at all.

Last edited:

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Two... ;)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to have Haddadi as a third center. He has played very limited minutes prior to his arrival in Phoenix.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you're going to make that kind of demand as a Suns fan, you're going to get plenty of sleep. We don't have much of a history of centers stringing together 10 straight good games. It's probably happened before (maybe even by Gortat) but offhand I can't think of a post-Alvan-Adams center that has done it for the Suns. Regardless, I highly doubt he will be the kind of player that can string together 10 straight good games.

I think we've lucked out with this guy. I figured he was just a throw-in to make the deal work and he'd never even suit up for us. But, after watching the last two games, I think we've found someone whose floor is that of a very good 3rd big man and his ceiling has yet to be established. Even if he tops out at very good 3rd big man, he's truly a big man and we've rarely had that luxury in Phoenix.

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you're going to make that kind of demand as a Suns fan, you're going to get plenty of sleep. We don't have much of a history of centers stringing together 10 straight good games. It's probably happened before (maybe even by Gortat) but offhand I can't think of a post-Alvan-Adams center that has done it for the Suns. Regardless, I highly doubt he will be the kind of player that can string together 10 straight good games.

I think we've lucked out with this guy. I figured he was just a throw-in to make the deal work and he'd never even suit up for us. But, after watching the last two games, I think we've found someone whose floor is that of a very good 3rd big man and his ceiling has yet to be established. Even if he tops out at very good 3rd big man, he's truly a big man and we've rarely had that luxury in Phoenix.

Steve

Yup. Having a big guy who will rebound the ball is something of a rarity for the Suns. I would have loved to have that on the floor over the years when the Suns were letting teams back into games with 2nd, 3rd, and 4th shots off the offensive glass.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake