Why do so many fans hate Hedo?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read that Turkoglu is working hard in practice, putting in extra time, etc. I'd guess that his problems isn't poor attitude, but simply a lack of skill. Obviously he's still an NBA-caliber player, but he's not at the level that any decent team would think of as being in their top three.

His contract is pretty hefty to boot. I think he has 4 years left on that 53 million dollar contract right? When you put up that kind of cake.....Hedo being on OK player is what people are having a hard time with. He needs to play like a #3 here or people or going to skewer him.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
His contract is pretty hefty to boot. I think he has 4 years left on that 53 million dollar contract right? When you put up that kind of cake.....Hedo being on OK player is what people are having a hard time with. He needs to play like a #3 here or people or going to skewer him.

It's too late to be upset over Turkoglu's contract. It is what it is. The best the Suns can hope for now is that he becomes a contributing member of the rotation. Yes, he'll be overpaid for the next four years, but that's the way it goes.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really? Where's your proof of that? It certainly isn't anything he's said and not by his actions. The only problem he has right now is that he isn't integrated in the system enough yet. There is no evidence whatsoever that he is a malcontent here.

Proof of what? My expectation that he will be unhappy here? You cannot prove a prediction until it happens. So far his attitude is fine.

If you are interested in the logic, it works like this.

Toronto+Hedo does not get the ball in his hands = Hedo not happy with Toronto
Therefore
Phoenix+Hedo does not get the ball in his hands= Hedo unhappy with Phoenix

Hopefully some other factor will change the equation. This isn't rocket science.

About him being unhappy in Toronto? That is well documented:

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/01/hedo-turkoglu-unhappy-with-role/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/395992-hedo-turkoglu-i-am-unhappy-with-toronto

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baske...rtedly-close-to-trading-unhappy-hedo-turkoglu

I think this conversation has run its course. I am now just repeating myself. You don't agree. That's great. I hope you are right.

Last edited:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
His contract is pretty hefty to boot. I think he has 4 years left on that 53 million dollar contract right?
I don't remember the details, but not all of that money is guaranteed. He gave up some of the guaranteed money in the last year or two to come here.

Vellasco

Reaction score
I've read that Turkoglu is working hard in practice, putting in extra time, etc. I'd guess that his problems isn't poor attitude, but simply a lack of skill. Obviously he's still an NBA-caliber player, but he's not at the level that any decent team would think of as being in their top three.

write it to your signature. let people remember you with this. I saw many unfair critics about him but this should be top of the list.

Vellasco

Reaction score
its really painful to watch hedo under this system, he can contribute some but will be never enough for ya. You dont need him much but Magic do. Trade him asap before AS game , take Bass and Anderson and be happy with some low post players.

Vellasco

Reaction score
Not if he keeps playing like this, especially at his pay level. And Orlando has moved on from him so not sure he would still fit there.

I said "some" but its still not stopping your bias, well what can i say. Yes he is scurb , ok?

Orlando offered him 9 mil for 4 years before he leave there, and this off-season Otis wanted him back, BC and him talked but it went nowhere. May be your new GM can handle it and find a way to satisfy both parts.

I know you will not love him no matter what he do (at 4 or at 3). He is hustling, he is trying but you are skipping those things. Cuz He is not what you looking for. He is just not suitable for your system. Get rid of him asap.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
write it to your signature. let people remember you with this. I saw many unfair critics about him but this should be top of the list.

Oh please, you act like it's my fault he's shooting 30%. Did you read the rest of my post? I said he's obviously still an NBA-caliber player. He's just not at the level of a top-three player on a good team. That's not unfair; it's just a fact. Maybe he used to be, but he isn't now.

Vellasco

Reaction score
Oh please, you act like it's my fault he's shooting 30%. Did you read the rest of my post? I said he's obviously still an NBA-caliber player. He's just not at the level of a top-three player on a good team. That's not unfair; it's just a fact. Maybe he used to be, but he isn't now.

Tell me whats the relation btw Poor shooting percentage and skill? may be its just my poor eng.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Tell me whats the relation btw Poor shooting percentage and skill?

Is this a serious question?

Shooting the basketball is a skill. It is a skill at which Turkoglu is behind his peer group, which is starting NBA wings with big contracts.

Other skills that Turkoglu lacks -- again, relative to his peer group -- are creating off the dribble, rebounding, and defensive footwork. All of these things are skills. You often hear analysts talk about a player's "skill set." These are the things that he does particularly well.

I've always liked Turkoglu as a player, but it's clear that age is catching up to him, and quickly. He was always below average in athleticism (again, by the standards of NBA wings), and now his compensating skills are deserting him. He simply doesn't have the tools to be a top-50 player anymore, probably not top-75 either.

Vellasco

Reaction score
Yeah it was serious question and you send it to sky with your language skills!

You turned POOR SHOOTING PERCENTAGE to SHOOTING then again add new things like lack of dribble , rebounding, def footwork. I bet in your next post you will add more to them with your elastic discussion style.

Lets deal with my original Q then discuss others. If shooting percentage in a small time interval gives a hint about someones skill, Kobe has lack of skill too in your logic in some days (or say in 5 games)

Btw, Hedo played in 3 regular season games and hit %41 2's and %50 3's. You are saying %90 of the league players have lack of skill, rite? off course you are not. You just jumped it from wrong angle.

He has never been a athletic player. You are talking like he lost his athleticism within a month? He isjust smart guy who cover up his lack of lateral quickness and his low verticals. He is what he is in Phoenix. He was not sent to you in a pandoras box.

I bet those are not enough against your poor naked observations about him. He has lack of skill or you meant some one can loose his skills in a month or so huh.

PS: I can write two full pages about his Toronto Adventure but i wont cuz its waste of time, no one can win against biases.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm not going to argue with you about Turkoglu. I don't know who you are or where you came from, and I don't care. I have nothing against Turkoglu, but his Orlando days are ancient history. Maybe he needs to play off of a dominant big man, which he had in Orlando but doesn't have (and won't have) in Phoenix. I'm not interested in making alibis for him; that can be your job.

You talk about the Boston-Orlando series as "last year playoffs," which it wasn't, and how his recent fall-off has happened "in a month or so huh," which I guess means that you've decided to wipe the last 12 months off of the record books. He didn't play well for the Raptors, he was horribly inconsistent for Turkey in the world championships, and now he looks awful in Phoenix. I'd invite you to dispute those observations, but instead you've decided to accuse me of "biases," so we're done. And, most likely, so is he.

I hope Turkoglu turns it around, and then we can both be happy. Instead, you'll just have to take solace in telling me that Turkoglu's problems are someone's fault other than his.

Vellasco

Reaction score
I'm not going to argue with you about Turkoglu. I don't know who you are or where you came from, and I don't care. I have nothing against Turkoglu, but his Orlando days are ancient history. Maybe he needs to play off of a dominant big man, which he had in Orlando but doesn't have (and won't have) in Phoenix. I'm not interested in making alibis for him; that can be your job.

You talk about the Boston-Orlando series as "last year playoffs," which it wasn't, and how his recent fall-off has happened "in a month or so huh," which I guess means that you've decided to wipe the last 12 months off of the record books. He didn't play well for the Raptors, he was horribly inconsistent for Turkey in the world championships, and now he looks awful in Phoenix. I'd invite you to dispute those observations, but instead you've decided to accuse me of "biases," so we're done. And, most likely, so is he.

I hope Turkoglu turns it around, and then we can both be happy. Instead, you'll just have to take solace in telling me that Turkoglu's problems are someone's fault other than his.

- Almost all of the NBA clubs having a Center.
- Hedo doesn't need just Dwight to be efective. He was efective with Gortah too. He just needs to be played as Point Forward and P'n Roll partner who have size and quick legs.
- Sorry but, Celtics and Magic met last year at ECF and Celts beat 4-1.
- He did played OK with Raptors, 11.5/4.6/4.2 stats is not bad for a spot up shooter.
- He was not inconsistent at WC. His performance increased game by game.
- He is not awful at Phoenix. You just dont know how to use him yet.

Man, Arguing Hedo with your kind of persons really was not my intention. I just couldnt stop myself for "skill" stuff and the conversation just got stretched unnecessarily. my bad.

PS. We are agree on bold part if you read my previous posts. He cant turn it around in Phoenix, so we are agree on basic argument. You don't need to know me to see this.

Ok, Thats enough, as you said we are done.

Last edited:

Trifecta

Veteran
Reaction score
So is Hedo the Turk going to be this years scapegoat for yet another ill-constructed SUNS team?
Hilarious.

Not to me he aint. It was the poor construction of this team that brought Turk here in the first place. So I'm not making him a scapegoat for anything. His poor play and terrible contract were well known before the Suns in their infinate wisdom decided to trade for him.

Doesn't mean we can't be frustrated with his poor play though.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So is Hedo the Turk going to be this years scapegoat for yet another ill-constructed SUNS team?
Hilarious.

I hope not. Right now, Channing Frye should own that particular distinction.

You know who would be good right about now?

Dwayne Jones.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I hope not. Right now, Channing Frye should own that particular distinction.

Based on salary and expectations, both are failing. I'm just thrilled that we decided to make all of our personnel decisions without a GM. One in a line of sage personnel decisions.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Obligatory...

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
It is going to be a month or two before any real judgments can be made about Hedo in Phoenix.

I still think he is a quality big time player. Players like Hedo are boring in the regular season but their value is shown in the playoffs. I guess we will see.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on salary and expectations, both are failing. I'm just thrilled that we decided to make all of our personnel decisions without a GM. One in a line of sage personnel decisions.

Well when you look at it from an overall perspective you have two guys eating up 78 million in cap space over the next several years that many feel are under performing. If neither of them end up being solid contributers that's going to hurt. Now factor in Hakim's 18 million and you have approximately 96 million dollars over the next several years tied up in players that are role players.

Now Warrick might turn out to be a bargain but who knows. It just seems like that is alot cap space (almost 100 million) to be tied up in these 3 players. I just have a hard time believing that the Suns couldn't find someone somewhere in a trade or hold off a bit (because they are not winning a title) and look for a trade down the road. I would rather invest that nearly 100 million over the next 4 to 5 years in one very good player versus a bunch of role players.

Having said that If Hedo turns it around and Akim can produce on a regular basis it takes some of the sting out of it. If they don't, the Suns are probably going to be very active again in shedding salary to get out from some of these contracts. I think the front office is really screwed up right now and the current hirings don't do anything to sway that.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I guess we could try to get decent players to come in and play for free.

There's nothing wrong with Hakim's contract. There might be something wrong with trying to take a backup tweener forward and expect him to be your star power forward but that says nothing about the reasonableness of his contract.

Frye is not bad value for his contract but it's not great value either. Hedo is a huge question mark. Right now, he appears to be horrible value but hopefully that will change. That change may come in the form of finding the best way to use of him or the best place to trade him.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Players like Hedo are boring in the regular season but their value is shown in the playoffs.
But not tying up the Power Forward position, especially in the playoffs. Ironically, that will be the decision of management, not him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hilarious.

No. It seems there is always the henpecked player. Funny that last year it was probably JRich because everyone wanted to dump his contract--even though he was one of the most productive players on the floor.