Why do we have the second hardest scheduale?

NJYAJ09

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
just doesnt make sense... why didnt the NFL give it to a team like Philly, New England, or Carolina?

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
We play six games in one of the better divisions and NFC West is paired with the AFC east, which is probably the best division in the league. That leaves only six opponents chosen on their record:

Saints
Panthers
Lions
Falcons
Giants
Bucs

Not the easiest opponents, but it could be worse...

lrk27

Veteran
Reaction score
BACH said:
We play six games in one of the better divisions and NFC West is paired with the AFC east, which is probably the best division in the league. That leaves only six opponents chosen on their record:

Saints
Panthers
Lions
Falcons
Giants
Bucs

Not the easiest opponents, but it could be worse...

Actually, only the Lions and Giants are based on record, the other four are NFC south, which the entire NFC West plays this year. Every team in each division has 14 common opponents and 2 games based on the previous years record. So each team in the NFC West will play the same 14 teams and the final 2 games against a team from the NFC East and NFC North that finished in the same standings position last year.

So looking at last years records, the Cards have the easiest schedule in the NFC West.
Seattle - 14+ Minnesota, Dallas
St. Louis - 14+ Philly, Green Bay
San Francisco - 14+ Washington, Chicago

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a big deal, because everyone in our division has a tough schedule. The NFL has implemented as near a perfect chedule system as you can get, IMO. Also, I'd recommend checking out this thread: http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33939

Spanky makes some good points in his post. For all but two teams our schedules are identical to thre rest of the division.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
lrk27 said:
Actually, only the Lions and Giants are based on record, the other four are NFC south, which the entire NFC West plays this year. Every team in each division has 14 common opponents and 2 games based on the previous years record. So each team in the NFC West will play the same 14 teams and the final 2 games against a team from the NFC East and NFC North that finished in the same standings position last year.

So looking at last years records, the Cards have the easiest schedule in the NFC West.

Okay, I didn't realize that there were "paired" divisions within the conference.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
lrk27

Good explanation Irk. :thumbup:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
NJYAJ09 said:
just doesnt make sense... why didnt the NFL give it to a team like Philly, New England, or Carolina?

Because WE'VE got the best friggin' team in the NFL.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This topic comes up every year and it's always the same reason. See, we really sucked last year, so that means everyone who plays us this year gets an easier schedule. The newer schedule system takes our sorry record even less into account, since all but two games are predetermined every year through 2010. Next year, we play the AFC south and the NFC East. Our SOS will depend mostly on how good those divisions are this year. Hopefully, we'll have a good record actually making other teams schedules harder instead of easier.

KAZ

Reaction score
Instead of feeling sorry for our team...perhaps we should expect better, not the best, but better!!!

Give me a break.

It is a rotating schedule...deal with it. With high picks every year you would think we might get better some year???

Stop your whining and play the GAME!

Sorry boys, but the Cardinals don't need a give....me!

Just Show it on the field .

We are not any different than any team so let us produce!

Step up and play the game...born in 1969...been faithful since 1969 and tired of the blame. Been there and done that...different state and city!...however not a different scenerio!

KAZ

CaliCards

Registered
Reaction score
The Cards shedule is good enough

:cool: If a team wants to see how competitive they are, they aught to play tough games.

Last season the Cards had a soft shedule, begining with the Lions, now Green is here and we drafted better, so its time the players get on the field and prove they are wothy of their pay checks.

CardsRep03

Registered
Reaction score
All of the games are tough so get used to it. The playoffs are even tougher. We won't get any creampuffs in the playoffs so let's get used to it now. When we make the playoffs it will be business as ususal.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
NJYAJ09 said:

From an eariler thread:

The schedules make perfect sense, and there is nothing arbitrary about them:

The 16 game schedules are determined by the followin criteria:

6 games of both home and away contests against your division "rivals".

4 games against all teams from another division in your conference. The converence rotates each year, so that over a three year period, every team plays each other at least once. (This year, we play all 4 teams from the South, where as last year we played all 4 teams from the North. Next year, we will play all four teams from the East.)

2 games against the teams from the other 2 converence divisions that finished the previous season in the same positon as our team. (ie. we finished 4th in the NFC West last year, so we play the Giants, who finished 4th in the East, and the Lions, who finished 4th in the North.)

4 more games against all teams from a division in the AFC conference. Much like the 4 games in the NFC, these rotate every year, so we play everyone in the AFC at least once every 4 years.

That makes 16 games. It is our turn to play all the teams from both the AFC East and NFC South. It just so happens that, based on last years record, most of the teams in these two divisioons happen to be very good.

I hope this helps you understand the schedule format. Personally, I like the system, and I don't want the NFL making a special "Cardinals Exemption" where we only get to play weaker teams because traditionally, we suck.

Go Cards!!!

Sam Wise

Big, Dumb, Stupid Looking
Reaction score
To be the best you have to beat the best..................welll ususally.

Here is MY prediction for this year

Week 1 at St. Louis We lose , but it is close. Our secondary will let us down in the 4th
Week 2 vs. New England We lose I have no delusions they are still the team to beat.
Week 3 at Atlanta Loss We can't contain vick and I question if we have anyone who can cover Dunn in the flat.
Week 4 vs. New Orleans WIN McAllister isn't as good on grass, and they have more ?'s on defense than we do. Besides it would be a nice B Day present.
Week 5 at San Fran Win They suck and we have had the taste of victory give us more!!!!!
Week 6 BYE
Week 7 vs. Seattle Loss we are brought down to earth by the division winners
Week 8 at Buffalo Loss They are pretty good this year.
Week 9 at Miami Still a Loss, Their D is that good.
Week 10 vs. New York Giants Win, we set a Cardinals single game sack record vs. one of the worst O lines in the NFL.
Week 11 at Carolina Loss That D line is ferocious, but we will keep in close.
Week 12 vs. JETS, jets jets jets Win, Fairly even talent overall. We win because we are the home team and Fans will support the Red birds(maybe)
Week 13 at Detroit Win, vengence be ours.
Week 14 vs. San Fran Win Our fisrt blow out.
Week 15 vs. Rams Toss up, but I favor us, 3 game win streak breeds confidence.
Week 16 at Seattle Loss Painful as they try to secure home field for the playoffs.
Week 17 vs. Tampa Bay Toss up they just don't scare me that much anymore, but they still have a pretty good D.

So somewhere between 6-10 to 8-8, I'll split it and say 7-9. Green will not be satisfied, but as a fan I'd call it respectable.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05