Why Do You Follow the Cardinals?

Why do you Love the Cards?

• A. I love the team. You watch them long enough, and you love them because you've discovered that th

Votes: 55 64.7%
  • B. I love the players. It doesn't get better than KVB, Wakefield, McKinnon, and Shipp.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C. They're the home team. You root for 'em, just like the song.

Votes: 29 34.1%
  • D. They've got way cool unis. Red and White, with a bird. Who woulda thunk it?

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by kerouac9
Also, how funny is it that no one likes this team because they like the players?

I like the players because they play for this team.

Players that I liked before they joined the Cards:

Ray Thompson (at UT)
Levar Fisher (at NC STATE)
Wilson (NC State)
Boldin (as I said, I'm a closet FSU fan)
KVB (I'll admit it, I like crazy white dudes like him)
Wendell Bryant (He was my fav. Wisconsin player)
Hodgins (Big, beefy fullbacks are awesome)

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
Only six years? I'm shocked.

That's just the season ticket portion. I've been a fan since they moved here, and went to games as I could. But there's something about the commitment that sets you off.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
For the moment.

Ok the Cardinals don't win a lot, but winning is not everything.

1. Beat the Cowboys in 1998. First time I actually wanted to watch a specific football team throughout an entire season.

2. Buddy Ryan - Yes, he was a horrible coach but the defense was really fun to watch. Those 8 men in the box schemes were funny as hell.

3. Chuck Cecil - I think Cecil was fined more, and had more devastating hits then when he was with any other team.

4. Adrian Wilson - Popping McNabb's ankle with a monstrious hit and two plays later taking an interception to the 2 yard line. I almost shook the life out of my cat (always sleeps on me while I watch football) while it was all happening. Unfornutenately, the Denver Bronco's saviour couldn't get the ball in the endzone from 2 yards away. And the rest of the game was horrible.

5. You got to give it to him. Jake Plummer to Martay Jenkins to beat the Eagles on a last play prayer.

6. Giants stadium (I was in the crowd). Gramatica get hurt celebrating, and Tillman is doing the kickoffs. Later in the game Jake heaves a prayer on 4 and 35 to the back of the endzone in triple coverage and hits some TE for a touchdown. Only problem Giants came back to score and win the game by throwning 6 straight slants to Toomer and Hilliard and scores the winning TD.

These are all moments that stick in my mind. They keep my interest in the team. For some reason since the Cardinals have been bad for SO LONG it is exciting when they do ANYTHING right.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Also, how funny is it that no one likes this team because they like the players?

Chuck Cecil
Rob Moore
Marcel Shipp
Eric Swann
Jake Plummer (Yes, I liked him up till the past 2 years)
Jeff Blake
Ronald McKinnon
Rob Fredrickson
Ricky Proehl ( when he was young and would get lit up)

But my all time favorite is Big.
Cause if I don't like him he'll kick my *ss!

For this year I am rooting for James Darling, who is a very underratted LB.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by RugbyMuffin
Rob Moore

Man, Rob Moore was a dick. When he signed with the Broncos last off-season, he was all over Fox Sports Mountain saying that he could've played in 2001, but didn't want to be a Card anymore.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's not surprising. Most of us follow the team because we've been with them since they started in Arizona, or others have followed them since the St. Louis days, so we follow the team. Players come and go, but but the team is here to stay. I don't think picking the other choices is saying that you do not like the players. If you love the team, you support whoever is wearing their uni on the field.

Indiana Hoosier

Registered
Reaction score
While growing up during the late 40's and early 50's we attended Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Sterling, Illinois and on Sunday at the end of Mass the good Father would say lets go "Bears" during the season. This always kind of irritated me so I became a Cardinal fan (both were in Chicago at the time). I have been a long, long, time suffering fan, but I always say wait until next year. Just can't get them out of my blood!! Always a Cardinal fan.

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
I'm a huge NFL fan. Growing up in Minnesota, I was fortunate enough to follow the "Purple People Eaters" during their heyday. After each game, I morphed into Alan Page, rushing the ball carrier on a snow covered hospital parking lot. The 4 Super Bowl losses were tough to take, but the NFC Championship wins over Smell A, and the Cowgirls were sweet.

Came to Arizona in 1986. No internet, no direct TV, no way to follow the Viqueens.

The Cardinals came to town in 88, and I knew AZ was going to be home, so I jumped in with both feet.

A person had to KNOW someone to get into a game at Metropolitan Stadium, so when the Cards got here, I bought season tickets, and have had them every year since. I'm a fan of this team because it's ours. Our day will come...and it will be sweet.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Man, Rob Moore was a dick. When he signed with the Broncos last off-season, he was all over Fox Sports Mountain saying that he could've played in 2001, but didn't want to be a Card anymore.

I did not know that <--- said in my best Johnny Carson voice!

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
It was the hometown team, at first.
Now, even if I moved, it's too late. It's Cardinals all the way.
Season tickets were the first thing I bought when I graduated that wasn't beer.

I don't have any gradiose tales of being a fan since I was a kid. I can't talk Cardinal football with my 84 year old grandma like I can the Huskers.
I'm a newbie. Only six years (?) into the thick of it, which for all intents and purposes means going to the all the games and facing the "horrible reality of this program" head on.
But, I'm also there every game despite how brutally miserable it might appear to some.

I can't be brought down. I don't know why people even try.
If you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong. So to me the record is secondary. It doesn't make them any less frustrating, but I just don't really care enough to let it get in the way of cheap comedy.
Well, that and the fact that bandwagon fans are losers.

I don't drive the bandwagon, but I do rotate the tires occasionally, and I change the oil every 17K miles.
Pricless...

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I got hooked on the NFL as a kid watching the 85 BEARS, it was all down hill from there!

I was a suffering Bears fan till the cardinals came to town. Now I am a suffering Cardinal fan!

The cool thing about loving an underdog, is unlike other teams where you dont get to excited untill a TD is scored, Cardinal fans go crazy over a single first down(or at least I do!)!!!

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
I've always been a huge NFL fan and grew up following the 49ers (was lucky enough to start with a dynasty), the first year I moved to the valley I bought a flex pack, didn't even like the Cardinals but I loved football. The first game I saw we beat the cowboys and the fans ripped down the goal post and proceeded to march it around the stadium, to this day, it is still one of the greatest things I've ever seen in person! I have been a Cardinals fan ever since and always will be dispite the owner. I had season tickets every year after in section 10, 2 rows up from the field on the 5 yard line. I moved to GA this year and it killed me to give those tickets up! Screw the Falcons I'm a Cardinal fan!:thumbup:

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Got hooked on the Cards in the early 60`s when the Cards played the Browns on TV.Charley Johnson to Bobby Joe Conrad and Sonny Randle and Jackie Smith.Plus the Greatest football player who was one of the TOUGHEST players of his era (Larry Wilson).Also a Cardinal Baseball fan (Stan The MAN Musial) and Bob Gibson.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more Beerz, it's like drugs you get hooked slowly then you can't quit.

First you make the 'Let's go a live game", then it's all downhill from there.

But you said it, go to games, enjoy games, pray for a win. Look for good treament program after game/season, when it all else fails we know that all will be well come training camp.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
BW

Originally posted by BW52
Got hooked on the Cards in the early 60`s when the Cards played the Browns on TV.Charley Johnson to Bobby Joe Conrad and Sonny Randle and Jackie Smith.Plus the Greatest football player who was one of the TOUGHEST players of his era (Larry Wilson).Also a Cardinal Baseball fan (Stan The MAN Musial) and Bob Gibson.

I would echo BW's statement.

Hey BW....are you the same BW52 that posts on the Cards baseball forum BOTB?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
my dad is from st. louis.

one sunday morning some 29 years ago, he said "son (I was an impressionable lad of five) "this is the team that you will root for" and he pointed to the st louis cardinals in the NL east (baseball) standings in the sports page of the daily oklahoman.

I took it to heart, and I have unequivocally supported every st. louis team since then, except for the rams.

it broke my heart when the football team moved to arizona, but I continued to support them (fanatically), and now time has healed the wound.

I loath bandwagon fans, because it is the antithesis of what I am. My loyalty is unshakable. The cardinals could go 0-16 for the next twenty years and they would still be my favorite team.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I support the local teams.

If the Cards left, it wouldn't bother me as long as we got another team. I would probably still be a fan, in the extent that I have watched them for so long, but not like I am now.

The only team I am 100% loyal to no matter what is the Suns. The Valley's original sports team.

ChiCard

Registered
Reaction score
Saw my first Cardinal's game in 1958 at the old Comisky park with my Dad. Hating the Bears & Cubs ran deep in my family. Sat in the endzone at Soldier field with my dad for the last game they played in Chicago in 1959. When they moved I was crushed but my dad nor I ever threw in the towel. He would drive out to Pontiac, IL on sundays ,which was about 100 miles from our house, pull off the side of the road, and listen to KMOX. He died in 1978 right after Ed B came along and of course I had to brainwash him so I had someone to comiserate with me. IT's in my blood and I can't let go of it. I've said it before. If someone told me I could make a deal that my beloved White Sox would go 0-162 for 5 years and during that time the Cubs would win 5 straight world series' BUT the Cards would win 1 SuperBowl I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I grew up in Orange County, CA so I was a Ram fan. Probably still would be, but when they moved to St Louis in '95 I cut all ties to them forever. I threw away all Ram memorabilia that I had and switched to the Cards. Now I am Big Red all the way!

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Originally posted by ChiCard
If someone told me I could make a deal that my beloved White Sox would go 0-162 for 5 years and during that time the Cubs would win 5 straight world series' BUT the Cards would win 1 SuperBowl I'd do it in a heartbeat!

It's a deal! Lets get this done ASAP! :thumbup:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I cheer for this team for one reason and one reason only they are my home team. If I move or they were to move my allegiance would change.

I can't say I cheer for them because they have given me a lot to cheer about though.