Will Raja Get Suspended?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
IMO, Raja is not a dirty player as I have not ever seen him intentually try to injure another player (which he could).

I assume you mean during a play. Kicking a guy in the balls, twice, after the play is over is pretty clearly an intentional attempt to injure.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of the dirtiest players the Suns have ever had were also some of the most popular. A.C. Green and Danny Ainge come to mind.

When Ainge came to town, someone from the Suns -- I can't remember who -- said, "He's a jackass, but now he's our jackass." This is right after Ainge pulled the dirtiest of tricks on the Suns as a member of the Trailblazers in the WCF. Bastard. But it was OK as long as he pulled that crap in a Suns uniform. He wasn't a bad guy, then, just really competitive.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I never liked Ainge as a Suns player. In fact my brother once got me his autograph specifically as a taunt. I thought he was pretty good as a coach, though.

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
Anyone remember Ainge’s famous inbounds pass off a Houston defender’s face in the playoffs?

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
I just hope Raja concentrates more on playing hard defense without having to resort to cheapshots. In the past week he's been ejected from one game and tried to kick a guy in the balls.

The ejection from the Pistons game had nothing to do with cheapshots. He got the first T for arguing with the ref, admittedly a dumb thing to do. The double technical called on Raja and Rip Hamilton was Raja's second T so he was out. He doesn't usually sugarcoat anything, so from his post-game explanation of what led up to the double T it sounds like Hamilton got exactly what he wanted. He might have been sorry, though, because when they switched Marion over on him he slowed down considerably.

That's the biggest problem I see with Raja's temper -- if other players know they can get to him with trash talking and goad him into techs, they'll concentrate on doing exactly that and they'll probably step it up in the playoffs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, Raja is not a dirty player as I have not ever seen him intentually try to injure another player (which he could).

I assume you mean during a play. Kicking a guy in the balls, twice, after the play is over is pretty clearly an intentional attempt to injure.

This was not an intent to injure like Fortson did to Zarko. There is a difference between inflicting a little pain and trying to injure a player seriously. If Raja wanted to injure a player seriously he could do it easily by committing a hard foul when a player is off balance or in the air. I guess my view comes from when I was younger and played some playground basketball. When there were no referees or referees who refused to make the call sometimes some playground justice needs to be applied... not to seriously injure but just make a statement. I'm not saying it's right but sometimes it has to be done. I just wish Raja would learn to give the clean hard foul to make his statements. I understand Raja had to work very hard to make it to the NBA level unlike some of the glamour players who can dish it out but can't take it in return.

Last edited:

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
This was not an intent to injure like Fortson did to Zarko. There is a difference between inflicting a little pain and trying to injure a player seriously. If Raja wanted to injure a player seriously he could do it easily by committing a hard foul when a player is off balance or in the air.

You mean like if Raja tackled a player by grabbing him around the head/neck area and proceded to throw him to the ground?

But he wouldn't do such a thing right? Just inflict a little pain by trying to kick someone in the balls.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean like if Raja tackled a player by grabbing him around the head/neck area and proceded to throw him to the ground?

But he wouldn't do such a thing right? Just inflict a little pain by trying to kick someone in the balls.

In regard to Kobe, he was throwing elbows intentionally in the Playoffs. Whether he connected is almost immaterial although I think he connected with Raja at least once. Throwing elbows can seriously injure a player but the referees refused to call it. Perhaps Raja should have thrown a few elbows Kobe's way which would have been worse but I don't think Raja wanted to seriously injure him.

In regard to Raja kicking at someone's private parts while laying on the floor, I'm not totally sure of what transpired prior to the replay. I don't think Raja goes around trying to kick players in their private parts although I have seen a number of players that have done something similar while they were in a prone position no less.

If you choose to think Raja is a dirty or cheap shot player so be it. However, remember Raja gets under the skin of many players who give him a cheap shot to get him off. Then when Raja returns the favor all is not well because Raja may have dared touch a team's star player. IMO, Raja is from the school that players put their pants on one leg at a time and if a player is dishing it out he should be able to take it.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Bargnani didn't do anything to Bell before the groin attack. It was simply a cheap shot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bargnani didn't do anything to Bell before the groin attack. It was simply a cheap shot.

Perhaps, but I'm not 100% sure. Things don't always follow back to back. Maybe you might feel differently if you had Raja's view of the situation.

Just curious, do you think Raja would have been justified throwing elbows back at Kobe in the Playoffs last year? I think throwing elbows would have been more serious than throwing Kobe down. Or perhaps Raja should have just complained to the referees even though it was quite obvious what Kobe was doing... and the referees chose to ignore it.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Bell Suspended

Just reported on KTAR that Raja was suspended for the kick the other night. Well deserved suspension, that stuff shouldn't happen.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
620 just reported that Raja Bell is suspended for tonight against the heat.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Raja Bell Suspended

Just reported on KTAR 620 said he got a one game suspension for kicking Bargnani in the groin. Not sure if he'll appeal

asudevil83

Reaction score
i think this is the 4th time this has been posted in 3 different threads in one minute.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess they consider that throwing a punch, eventhough he didn't connect.

We shouldn't need him, and maybe it gives a chance for James or Jumaine to step in and play 15 min.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I guess they consider that throwing a punch, eventhough he didn't connect.

We shouldn't need him, and maybe it gives a chance for James or Jumaine to step in and play 15 min.

I wanna see some more of Jumaine. I think he has potential to be first of the bench come playoff time. He can d up and can shoot. I really hope D' Antoni starts playing him more

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanna see some more of Jumaine. I think he has potential to be first of the bench come playoff time. He can d up and can shoot. I really hope D' Antoni starts playing him more

Nope, Barbosa and KT will be the first ones off of the bench. He could be the 8th and only other person though.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Barbosa likely will start in his place, with Banks and a Jones or two probably getting more playing time.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Hope we see some Jalen Rose/Marcus Banks tonight. Barbosa in Bell's role and Rose/Banks sharing Barbosa's job.

JuevAZD

Reaction score
I don't think there is much to appeal. He did kick (twice) and fortunately both swings missed. I guess he could appeal intent vs deed, but I think it is the intent that got him one game. If he connected I would imagine the suspension would be a bit heavier. Raja is my favorite player on the team but I do think a one game suspension is warranted. Hopefully he can serve the game tonight vs Miami and then forget it ever happened.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Did Raja ever address what happened? Other than the replay during the game, I have not seen any mention of the incident anywhere. Was he asked about it in the post-game press conference?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05