Will Vujanic Be The Next Tony Parker?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
azcentral: 'That kid' Parker is growing on Spurs

Washington Post
May. 6, 2004 12:00 AM

SAN ANTONIO - Bruce Bowen saw a name flash across the television three years ago and could not fathom what he was hearing: "With the 28th pick in the 2001 NBA draft, the San Antonio Spurs select . . . Tony Parker."

"No way, can't be that kid," Bowen, the Spurs shooting guard, said to himself.

Not the kid whose father, Tony Parker Sr., counseled an immature malcontent in the French League almost a decade ago, when Bowen was doing more complaining than playing for Evreux.

Not the koala-bear cute, little 12-year-old, who introduced himself in a halting Parisian accent, "You are Bruce Bowen, yes? Hi. Nice to meet you."

Not the kid who would grow up, find Bowen on the right wing, find Tim Duncan underneath the rim, find a way to direct the San Antonio Spurs past the Los Angeles Lakers and to a championship at a mere 21 years old - while still managing to look 12.

Not the unquestioned floor leader, who skittered past the Lakers, scoring 30 points on 13-of-23 shooting in Wednesday's 95-85 win, which gave San Antonio a 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven Western Conference semifinal series. This, after making Gary Payton look 38 in Game 1 on Sunday, the point guard who stopped and popped for 20 points and 9 assists in 42 minutes.

That kid? That kid.

"It wasn't until I saw his face come across the screen that I was sure," Bowen said. "I remember thinking, 'It's him, with less hair.' "

Three years later, the growth spurt has not abated. Parker's sudden development since being drafted and starting at 19 has again made the league do a double-take - and rethink conventional playoff wisdom.

In pro basketball, scouts and general managers contend that the evolution of a point guard does not genuinely begin until the third season. That's when a three-year veteran begins to understand the nuances and subtleties of when to pass, when to shoot, when to tell the franchise player when he is not in the right place on the floor for an offensive set.

Parker has orchestrated the offense like a 10-year veteran and deflated the defensive confidence of his counterpart, Payton, who was left muttering that he feels left out in Phil Jackson's triangle offense.

Before Parker's workout for the club in 2001, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich never wanted a European point guard, much less one from France.

No offense to Parker, but Popovich just could not remember many Parisian playground legends.

But there was Parker in the summer of 2001, passed up by Orlando and Boston late in the first round. He reported to training camp slight and smallish for a prototype point guard, 6 feet 2 and maybe 170 pounds, and it would take him a full season to win over Duncan.

Everyone who had seen Parker and Vujanic play in Europe have said that Vujanic has been more impressive. He is older and more experienced than Parker was, but Parker has shown that a it is possible for a Euro to become a very good NBA PG.

The fact that it takes time to become a quality PG suggests that the Suns may end up using JJ at point, with Vujanic and Barbosa playing mostly SG

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Excellnt question George!

I think Vujanic is every bit as good as Parker.

I don't think JJ on 1 and Milos on 2 would be a good idea. JJ is not a point guard by any standards, whereas Milos can play both positions equally well.

I guarantee you guy will not be dissapointed with Milos- kid is an amazing player, he is as tough as PG's get, very quick (though not as quick as Barbosa or Marbury), excellent shooter, good slasher, and a very very intelligent player.

Stefan

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
I think Barbosa has so many great points....I would be hesitant to replace him on so many of your whims.... remember Barbosa's age and this is his first year in the best league in the world!

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Isn't Vujanic already older than Parker is now?

This is why Vujanic may be more ready to contribute right away than Parker was in 2001. It does open up the question of whether Vujanic has the same "upside", but unless every scout is crazy he should be able to be a decent combo guard. The NBA guy most people compare him to is Wade:

Dwyane Wade
Miami Heat
Position: G
Height: 6-4 Weight: 212
College: Marquette '05
Player file | Team stats

2003-04 Statistics
PPG 16.2
RPG 4.0
APG 4.5
SPG 1.41
BPG .56
FG% .465
FT% .747
3P% .302
MPG 34.9

Wade only had 4.5 assists per game on a team with some good offensive players, but they did pretty well.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The NBA guy most people compare him to is Wade:

Those comparisons don't mean squat. Before the draft, Stoudemire was compared to Ben Wallace.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
True, but having seen Milos play many times, I think Vujanic- Wade comparisson is about as accurate as it gets.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Zarko said a while back that Vujanic was better than Parker, maybe that is so. If he is as good, I will be happy.

:thumbup:

Errntknght

Reaction score
Let's hope Milos Vujanic is in the same league as Tony Parker next season... literally as well as figuratively.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still haven't had a chance to watch the championship game, but from one I saw in that first game Vujanic is about as fast as Steve Nash. I don't think he's quite as quick as Tony Parker.

Joe Mama

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I do not think that Wade is an accurate comparison for Vujanic.
Wade is more of a slasher and more athletic while Vujanic seems to have a better jumpshot.

Vujanic reminds me of a poor man's Steve Nash.

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
hcsilla said:
Wade is more of a slasher and more athletic while Vujanic seems to have a better jumpshot.

But without the bad haircut. :D

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hcsilla said:

Wade is also taller and much stronger than Vujanic. I thought Vujanic looked like an average defender in the NBA. Wade on the other hand is a good defender. I doubt we will ever see Vujanic throw down those ferocious jams like Duane Wade either.

Joe Mama

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Wade is also taller and much stronger than Vujanic. I thought Vujanic looked like an average defender in the NBA. Wade on the other hand is a good defender. I doubt we will ever see Vujanic throw down those ferocious jams like Duane Wade either.

Joe Mama

In terms of playing style, Vujanic may be closer to Marbury than Wade. The issue has more to do with Wade being more of a combo than a true point guard.

Statistically, a pure point guard would have from 8 to 10 assists per game and maybe 8 to 12 ppg. A combo guard might have 4-5 assists per game and 16 to 20 ppg.

In any case, assists are one of the more deceptive statistics. Marbury has never been a pure point guard and most of his assists come from drive and kick out plays rather than classic point guard assists. Some point guards get most of their assists on fast breaks rather than in the half court which is fine, but somewhat deceptive. A PG on a slow team may be doing an outstanding job, but not get the same assist stats as a running team.

In any case, I think the Suns will increase their number of assists as they become more familiar with their teammates. D'Antoni has been stressing "pass the ball" and it started to show up late in the season. I'm hoping they will move to more of a high post offense, but that approach does not create as many assists for the PG as some other offensive schemes.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Statistically, a pure point guard would have from 8 to 10 assists per game and maybe 8 to 12 ppg. A combo guard might have 4-5 assists per game and 16 to 20 ppg.

In any case, assists are one of the more deceptive statistics. Marbury has never been a pure point guard and most of his assists come from drive and kick out plays rather than classic point guard assists. Some point guards get most of their assists on fast breaks rather than in the half court which is fine, but somewhat deceptive.

If all of that is true, then there aren't any "pure point guards" at all in the league, and there haven't been for years.

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
elindholm said:

In any case, assists are one of the more deceptive statistics. Marbury has never been a pure point guard and most of his assists come from drive and kick out plays rather than classic point guard assists. Some point guards get most of their assists on fast breaks rather than in the half court which is fine, but somewhat deceptive.

If all of that is true, then there aren't any "pure point guards" at all in the league, and there haven't been for years.

I would guess that TJ Ford is closer to a pure PG than most, but I suspect that the direction the NBA is going is for PGs who can score a lot of points.

If anything, the elimination of the old illegal defense rules has pushed this trend along. Now, if a guy can't shoot (or at least accurately), opponents will drop off and double guys who can. PGs without accurate jumps shots find it hard to find anyone to pass to. Poor shooting PGs constantly face situations where no one is open but there is no one covering the PG. I don't think it is entirely an accident that Eisley's productivity dropped dramatically after the rule change. The way NBA teams play defense is one of the reasons I am so sketptical about Livingston. I don't think poor shooting guards have a chance unless the team runs all the time.

BTW, I am really doubtful that that the Nets can get it done against the Pistons because Detroit won't let Jason Kidd run. If the Nets rely on Jason to hit jump shots, it will be a very ugly series.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
SirStefan32 said:
True, but having seen Milos play many times, I think Vujanic- Wade comparisson is about as accurate as it gets.
Wow those are strong words. Wade is one heck of a PG prospect.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I suspect that the direction the NBA is going is for PGs who can score a lot of points.

Yes, exactly. As all players become more versatile, the old prejudices about what players can't do fall by the wayside. It makes no sense anymore to say that so-and-so isn't a PG because he can score. He should be able to score. Similarly, we are no longer surprised (or shouldn't be) by PFs who can shoot from 18 feet (or beyond).

The system of using a player's position to limit his expected skill set has outlived its usefulness. It probably still works fine in high school, or even at the lower college ranks -- but in the NBA, players are, for the most part, just players. You need some who are big and some who are small; some who are quick and some who are strong; some who can post up, some who can penetrate, and some who can shoot. Pigeonholing them into labeled positions seems, to me, to be a pointless exercise.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05