Worst 3 Cardinal moments of all time.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I took this post off of another board that posed this question a while back. I was really curious as to everyone's top 3 worst Cardinal moments. Many of us have been fans so long, I'd love to hear you guys stories on the moments that get your pressure up. Mine:

1. When we lost to the horrible New York Jets in Arizona when they were at the time I think either winless or had 1 win. Seth Joyner got kicked out the game for stepping on Adrian Murrell's chest and we just got served from then on. Murrell had a stellar day and I remember him breaking like a 70 or 80 yard run to seal it. What made that day so bad was that I was with two of my boys in D.C. at the time (eagles fan and Cowboys fan) and they roasted me the whole way back to Philly, as both their teams won. The bar even put me in the back to watch the game because it wasn't on any of the regular tvs.

2. The Sunday night game against Denver in 2001. I was taping the game, and stopped it midway through the 2nd quarter. Rod Smith was destroying us, and Terrell Davis was unstoppable. We looked like a high school team out there.

3. The eagles game last year where McNabb beat us on a broken foot. How we didn't knock him out the game and find a way to win, after we had jumped on them with an early score was beyond me. The harassment I took that week was unbearable.

dishonorable mention: The Chiefs debacles (both the blowout, and the Steve Bono run!) the Tito Paul game against the Vikes where he cried after Chris Carter sizzled him all day, and the game we lost to the disgraceful Patriots about 10 years ago in Sun Devil when they too got their first win of the year against us. And almost any Cowboys blowout when they were smacking us around regularly in Texas Stadium.

Last edited:
OP
OP
phillycard

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
100% only you would notice something like that. LOL!! I'll edit for your sake.:D

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Only THREE? Worst 30 would be more appropriate.

I would have to say the worst Cardinal "moment" since leaving Chicago was the entire 2000 season.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The day Buddy Ryan was hired, MNF overtime tie game vs. Giants, loss vs. Bucs in season finale to end season '77 season at 7-7 after 7-3 start. there are many more.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tough call. But, here's my three:

1. The Monday night game against Dallas when Buddy ran off the field before the game was over. He should've wanted to run and hide the way we got whipped in that game.

2. A game against Minnesota in '97 when we went from being ahead 19-10 (with the ball on the two, first and goal) to losing 20-19 in the last three minutes of the game. Butler hit the post on a 20 yd FG attempt and they hit the TE on a 60yd bomb in the last thirty seconds of the game to set up the winning FG. Horrible. Made me want to puke.

3. The Bugel game against Philly when we ran the ball six times, I think, from the one and inside the one and couldn't score. Jeez, that was bad.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
3. The Bugel game against Philly when we ran the ball six times, I think, from the one and inside the one and couldn't score. Jeez, that was bad.

I thought that was against the Lions?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was only 13 at the time, and don't fully remember the details, but it went something like this -

The Chicago Cards were playing the Bears on Dec. 14, 1952. They were leading 7 - 3 late in the 4Q and were about to receive a punt that would pretty much ice the game. Billy Cross fielded the punt on his one-foot line, tripped, fell backward into the end zone and fumbled away the ball. Bears won it 10 - 7.

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
I don't know about 3 worst, but my all-time worst Cardinal memory was the call on E.J. Junior for roughing the passer (Theisman - who deserves to be 'roughed' any time of any day) against the Redskins, allowing the Skins to keep the drive alive and win 29-27 on a last second FG, when a Cardinal win would have meant playoffs - December 16, 1984.

I hate Joe (spit) Theisman and the Deadskins!!! :barf:

OP
OP
phillycard

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
AJ is right.

Originally posted by Ryanwb
I thought that was against the Lions?

And I will now correct that original post, and put that Eagles game as number 3. I remember little Johhny Bailey trying to crack the goal line, while Johnny Johnson sat his punk ass on the sidelines in full uniform! I also remember that we should never have been in that position because Jay Taylor had on the previous Eagles possession intercepted the ball and ran intentionally into the ref because he was mad about an earlier pass interference call. Ridiculous!!!

MadRob

Rookie
Reaction score
*Neil Lomax forced to retire...

*After 4-0 in preseason, I think it was a practice that got Rosenbach hurt that started a horible season I believe in 1992 in which there had been high hopes before the injury...That of course resulted in the firing of Bugel and the hiring of Buddy...

*That Dallas game a couple years ago that got Tobin fired...

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Or how about when Rosenbaugh didn't show up for 1993 training camp. He was just a no-show, then "retired."

Oh and my three...

3. Buddy running off the field early

2. Bono's disgraceful run

1. "You've got a winner in town"

YRUGSFS

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
1. My worst Cardinal moment was when they moved to AZ.
2. Last years draft when they traded down and drafted Pace and
Johnson.
3. Gave Graves the GM responsibilities.
4. Signed Emmitt Smith
5. Sued ASU
6. Fired Gene Stallings
7. Fired Don Coryell
8. Drafted Kelly Stouffer in the first round
9. Brought George Boone back into the fold
10. Had the highest ticket prices in the NFL when they moved to AZ

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by YRUGSFS
2. Last years draft when they traded down and drafted Pace and
Johnson.
3. Gave Graves the GM responsibilities.
4. Signed Emmitt Smith
5. Sued ASU
6. Fired Gene Stallings
7. Fired Don Coryell
8. Drafted Kelly Stouffer in the first round
9. Brought George Boone back into the fold

hmm, no mention of any game. You're obviously not a fan. You're just a basher. Take a hike.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by phillycard
Seth Joyner got kicked out the game for stepping on Adrian Murrell's chest and we just got served from then on.

I figured a correction with "I was at the game" might not be enough so I found a link with proof.

- - - - - - - - - - -

http://starbulletin.com/96/10/28/sports/story3.html

Arizona played nearly three quarters without outside linebacker Seth Joyner, who was ejected for throwing a punch at Murrell after the fourth-year running back stepped on his chest.

"He had the opportunity to step over him and he chose to step on his chest," Bankston said. "I mean, what man would let another man step on him like that?"

Joyner was ejected for unnecessary roughness. On the way out, he threw his helmet and kicked a pylon.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

We saw it from the South Endzone. I've never seen a helmet bounce so far. Seth was really upset, and rightfully so.

Still it was a 3-pt game with almost an entire quarter left...

FanOfTheGame1

Riding The Pine
Reaction score
Originally posted by MadRob
*After 4-0 in preseason, I think it was a practice that got Rosenbach hurt that started a horible season I believe in 1992 in which there had been high hopes before the injury...That of course resulted in the firing of Bugel and the hiring of Buddy...
Bugel was fired after the 1993 season, with a record of 7-9 that year and only one loss by more than a TD. This was probably their best season in AZ, even more so than 1998.

Firing Bugel and firing Stallings are probably the two worst moments. The continual effort to shove a stadium down the throat of a community that didn't and still doesn't want it, is the third.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by FanOfTheGame1
The continual effort to shove a stadium down the throat of a community that didn't and still doesn't want it, is the third.

It passed an election fair and square. :wave:

You are more than welcome to never darken it's door.

jon_nyaz

The art of music
Reaction score
These are my three lowest moments:

1. Cardinals cutting Chris Gedney for "medical reasons"

2. Watching Rob Moore, Coby Rhinehart and someone else that I can't remember right now all have season ending injuries in the same pre-season game in 1999 - - what an omen THAT was!

3. Tuning into KGME (which I think were the call letters back then) and listening to the daily "Pennies for Andre" update. If you aren't aware of what this was, a local sports radio station decided to try and raise enough money for sign Andre Wadsworth and get him into camp. Their strategy was to get donations from the then current season ticket base of about 35,000 Cardinal fans. I think they raised something like $421.

OP
OP
phillycard

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Re: Re: Worst 3 Cardinal moments of all time.

Originally posted by Brian in Mesa
I figured a correction with "I was at the game" might not be enough so I found a link with proof.

Thanks Brian, I didn't have all the facts together. Either way it was still bad.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by YRUGSFS

That's ironic, because my two favorite moments were their coming here and having the lowest tickets in the league every year that I've had them.

Sorry you're so jilted about those ticket prices. Oh the pain you must have endured.

Waaaaaaaaaa. Waaa Waaa Waaa.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
That's ironic, because my two favorite moments were their coming here and having the lowest tickets in the league every year that I've had them.

Sorry you're so jilted about those ticket prices. Oh the pain you must have endured.

Waaaaaaaaaa. Waaa Waaa Waaa.

Section - that troll has done nothing in any of his posts but attack the Cards for coming here and raising ticket prices when they came. Ironically, nobody cared about the ticket price when the Cards were 7-4 and had just beaten the Niners at home. The complaining began when Lomax went down and the team lost the rest of their games that year... :rolleyes:

Again, it all comes down to this: winning solves everything.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score

2. Watching Rob Moore, Coby Rhinehart and someone else that I can't remember right now all have season ending injuries in the same pre-season game in 1999 - - what an omen THAT was!

Actually there were 5 injured severely.

Even though it was a pre-season game....I don't think we ever recovered from it......it's my #1 nightmare for sure....it was beyond awful.

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
I don't remember the game (I think it was Dallas or Minnesota 4 or 5 years ago) where the Cards had a lead in the 4th quarter. The Cards had the other team backed up on a fourth down and 40 yards to go or something like that and the team converted, then went on to win.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duckjake
Only THREE? Worst 30 would be more appropriate.

I would have to say the worst Cardinal "moment" since leaving Chicago was the entire 2000 season.

NO!

Some fans are officially scarred!

So bad that it is painfull.

The Cardinals are like a bad tooth you can take the pain but after a while it hurts like hell.

They are so bad all the time that the moments that they are humiliating are un-countable. Like the stars.

This team has been mediocre to awful for WAY to long.

If the Cubs can almost make it to the world series then the Cardinals SHOULD be able to eventually get there heads out of the ground and turn the ship around!

Stupid Cardinals!
:mad:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05