Would it make sense to give the Pats a Call?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Might it be sensible to give the Pats a call and offer our 4th rounder for Ryan Mallett? If they are willing to deal with the Texans, why not us instead even if we have to offer more than just our 4th? He is 6'6", 250 lbs, and has had several years of tutoring under Tom Brady and the Patriots disciplined system.

If he has the big arm that we would want, why not go for it. Would be less of a gamble and cost less than drafting a qb next year with a 1st or 2nd round pick. And he would be ready to play immediately.

Maybe we should beat the Texans to the punch and get our next qb now. What sayeth you "coaches"?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDK. I've never, ever liked Mallet as an NFL QB. He seems like a real meathead. A white version of Jamarcus Russell is how I've always thought of him.

So, no. I wouldn't. I don't think Arians would touch him with a ten foot pole either.

I think we just need to face reality that when we passed on Manziel and Bridgewater (twice on Bridgewater), a QBOF just isn't a big priority for the Cards.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Mallett has one year left on his current contract. You'd be paying him on even a modest extension four to eight times what you'd be paying that fourth round pick for four years of contributions.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
If we're looking QB, the question is 1 year of Mallet or 4 years of McCarron/Savage/Mettenberger (or someone else you really like).

I'd rather just wait personally. Are any of these guys better backups for 2014 than Stanton? Do we truly believe any of them are starters down the road?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Pats got burned by the decision to draft him. I'm sure they were expecting at least a 2nd rounder within two years. You're losing it Bill!

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
Thinking Mettenberger would be the guy to sit behind Palmer, getting him late is a good idea and the potential, arm strength and smarts seem to be a fit

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
For Mallet to sit a few years behind CP, he'd be ready to retire by the time he had a chance to start. JMO.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
We should call Houston and try to pry Whitney Mercilus or Brooks Reed from

them. Does anybody know why Louis Nix fell so far? Even Mike Mayock was

scratching his head on that question.

SunDevil

Reaction score
I know that no one is talking about him, but I REALLY like Tajh Boyd. He may not be the best fit in Arians' offense, but i think this kid is going to turn into a star in the league.