Votes: 80 63.5%

• Total voters

Cody

i love defense
Reaction score
i posted this on IGN..
http://boards.ign.com/football/b5105/178197377/p1/?8

and just wanted to see what people here said

its a tought choice for me..i want to, but at the same time i don't. i want to see leinart get another chance..plus he's been under our system for sometime so he knows whats going on.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is no possible reason to do this trade. Matt has learned the system know sit inside and out and is ready. proved himself very capable when he did play.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
There is no possible reason to do this trade. Matt has learned the system know sit inside and out and is ready. proved himself very capable when he did play.

Really? Leinart has never even thrown more TD's than INT's in a season.

I am not a Cutler fan but he has clearly outperformed Leinart (and before anyone says it...he was the starter and lost his job. So, he did get the opportunity and more than one of them).

I wish Leinart would have been the starter and put up the numbers Warner did but that didn't happen. Cutler was top 5 in yards and top 10 in Td's last year. Based on performance...Cutler is the clear cut choice.

OP
OP
Cody

Cody

i love defense
Reaction score
Really? Leinart has never even thrown more TD's than INT's in a season.

I am not a Cutler fan but he has clearly outperformed Leinart (and before anyone says it...he was the starter and lost his job. So, he did get the opportunity and more than one of them).

I wish Leinart would have been the starter and put up the numbers Warner did but that didn't happen. Cutler was top 5 in yards and top 10 in Td's last year. Based on performance...Cutler is the clear cut choice.

also leinart had better recievers...then again he had a crappier o line

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
would i trade the qb who is ok with learning behind a HOF'er and getting better for a QB who is bitching that his name was brought up in a trade that didn't even happen? yea....no thanks

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? Cutler was a pro bowler this year with 7 starting rb's and a terrible supporting cast. Unfortunately Cutler wouldn't sit for two years behind Warner so it's a moot point. Nobody outside of Cardinals fans would take Leinart over Cutler.

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
What about this scenerio:

The Broncos were willing to trade a first rounder to the Pats for Cassell and then there were going to deal Cutler to TB for a first and a third. So, would they being willing to give us a second rounder (48th overall) for Leinart and then work the same deal with TB?

We'd end up with two second round picks and plenty of flexibility and there are still several QB's on the market who could be just as good as Leinart in a backup role.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I admit that Cutler has proven to be a little too sensitive about what other people say in his short career but if we're just talking about this clinically or as what's best for the Cardinals(and I'm assuming this hypothetical trade is based on ability only. No way does Cutler sit behind someone and I don't think the Cardinals would throw away $19M to get Cutler) I'd do this trade in a heartbeat.

Cutler's played in 37 straight games and just went to the pro-bowl. Both he and Leinart don't exactly have sparkling personality histories so I'd take the guy that's proven he can stay healthy and produce at a high level.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
No.

Leinart knows the system, and is a better leader IMO.

Arm Strength is over-rated.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Cutler's played in 37 straight games and just went to the pro-bowl. Both he and Leinart don't exactly have sparkling personality histories so I'd take the guy that's proven he can stay healthy and produce at a high level.

Cutler went to the pro bowl with an 86 QB rating? Must have been a down year for QBs in the AFC. But then throwing the ball 40 times a game will get you noticed.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Cutler went to the pro bowl with an 86 QB rating? Must have been a down year for QBs in the AFC. But then throwing the ball 40 times a game will get you noticed.
I think you're looking at it the wrong way. When a QB throws the ball 600 times in a season and is able to maintain a good rating, it means more than the Jeff Garcia's of the world that don't throw it very much.

And while I agree that an 86 rating is nothing to write home about, that's exactly where Tom Brady was at his first 3+ years in the league and it's a rating that Leinart hasn't really approached in his career(71.7).

I'll take an "86+" guy with a lot of experience that can stay healthy over a "71" guy that's been injury prone, underperformed and admittedly struggled with the playbook(especially when his smarts are supposed to be his strength).

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
Plus week after week, I remember Cutler being a choice for player of the week and there's a reason for that.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cutler has shown more talent, but he's had more time to show it as well.

Bottom line though, with the way Cutler reacted to a trade rumor, I wouldn't want him on my team. He's self-centeread and overly dramatic.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Cutler has shown more talent, but he's had more time to show it as well.

Bottom line though, with the way Cutler reacted to a trade rumor, I wouldn't want him on my team. He's self-centeread and overly dramatic.
No, Cutler's stayed healthy. Both he and Leinart have had the same amount of time to show their talent. In fact, Leinart has had longer to show since he first started playing in week 4 of '06 and Cutler started in week 13 of '06.

I'm not arguing that Cutler isn't being sensitive and overly dramatic but it wasn't a trade "rumor". Denver did it's best to in fact trade him. There is a big difference between rumors that teams are asking for him and Denver actually shopping him around. Which is what they did.

I still need to hear more details before making a decision on the whole situation but it seems to me that Denver screwed up more than Cutler is being too sensitive. I can't remember a similar situation where a franchise QB is being shopped at 25 years old in the thick of his time as a starter.

I think Minnesota should go after him.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Cutler is 17-20 as a starting QB under Shannahan, who is a very good coach IMO. Leinart is 7-9 under much retooling in the offensive scheme between Denny and Whis.

Leinart is maturing while Cutler is regressing.

Cutler has Type 1 diabetes, so who knows how his health will affect him in the next couple years.

I take Leinart

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
Cutler is 17-20 as a starting QB under Shannahan, who is a very good coach IMO. Leinart is 7-9 under much retooling in the offensive scheme between Denny and Whis.

Leinart is maturing while Cutler is regressing.

Cutler has Type 1 diabetes, so who knows how his health will affect him in the next couple years.

I take Leinart
That's not a big deal as long as he keeps it in line. It really shouldn't affect him all that much.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'll take an "86+" guy with a lot of experience that can stay healthy over a "71" guy that's been injury prone, underperformed and admittedly struggled with the playbook(especially when his smarts are supposed to be his strength).

An 86 rating still doesn't usually warrant a 1st team pro bowl selection.

As long as we're doing hypotheticals the real question should be "would you trade Warner for Cutler?"

I'd do that in a heartbeat. Then we could trade Leinart for draft picks and we'd have a young 86+ passer with a lot of experience instead of a 38 year old with most likely only one season left in him and an injury prone "71" guy at QB and a couple of extra draft picks to help out the defense.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I'd do that in a heartbeat. Then we could trade Leinart for draft picks and we'd have a young 86+ passer with a lot of experience instead of a 38 year old with most likely only one season left in him and an injury prone "71" guy at QB and a couple of extra draft picks to help out the defense.
Like I said, this hypothetical isn't clear enough. Based on what Leinart and Cutler have shown with no other circumstances I'd take Cutler. In reality, if the Cardinals could get Cutler somehow and not have to pay Warner's contract, then yes, I'd do that deal too. Cutler "is" what most want Leinart to someday "be". Why wouldn't you do that deal?
An 86 rating still doesn't usually warrant a 1st team pro bowl selection.
True but Cutler wasn't the first team selection in '08. Peyton was.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
HELL no. Didn't want him on draft day don't want him now. Leinart is a better QB.

Who is less clutch Cutler or Romo?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I admit that Cutler has proven to be a little too sensitive about what other people say in his short career but if we're just talking about this clinically or as what's best for the Cardinals(and I'm assuming this hypothetical trade is based on ability only. No way does Cutler sit behind someone and I don't think the Cardinals would throw away $19M to get Cutler) I'd do this trade in a heartbeat.

The Pro Bowl is a joke compare Rivers to Culter and tell me who should have been in the Pro Bowl. Who failed to produce when his team needed him to?

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
The Pro Bowl is a joke compare Rivers to Culter and tell me who should have been in the Pro Bowl. Who failed to produce when his team needed him to?
Don't even get me started on how screwed over Rivers was in '08. But just because Rivers didn't go didn't mean Cutler wasn't deserving. I would have put Cutler in ahead of Favre so even in "woulda, coulda, shoulda" talk I think Cutler should have been there.

Cutler is by no means perfect but he's far outperformed Leinart to this point. I haven't watched him enough to know how clutch or un-clutch that he is. I know his defense was horrible in '08 and no lead was safe so it's hard to really judge him in that regard. I know he threw a TD and a 2 point conversion to beat SD after Ed blew the fumble call.

A 25 year old QB that put up 4,500 yards and 25 TD's with no running game or defense to support him? I'd take that for my team.