Votes: 80 63.5%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Cody

Cody

i love defense
Reaction score
This is Kurt's team at least this season so I don't see the Cardinals doing anything to get Cutler. But I thought people would like him more than they do. He did pass for 4,526 yards only 57 yards less than Kurt with out Q, Fitz and Breaston to pass to. He did put it up 616 times but Kurt had 598 att so I don't see a big difference there. Kurt definitely had a better year but he had one of the best of all time. He certainly has not said anything worse than Q has I would trade Matt for Cutler if the team didn't just pay Kurt 19 million for next year.

great post. 10/10. would read again.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This is Kurt's team at least this season so I don't see the Cardinals doing anything to get Cutler. But I thought people would like him more than they do. He did pass for 4,526 yards only 57 yards less than Kurt with out Q, Fitz and Breaston to pass to. He did put it up 616 times but Kurt had 598 att so I don't see a big difference there. Kurt definitely had a better year but he had one of the best of all time. He certainly has not said anything worse than Q has I would trade Matt for Cutler if the team didn't just pay Kurt 19 million for next year.

In addition, he had FB's playing running back, and the 29th ranked defense, by far one of the worst in the league. And he STILL MADE THE PROBOWL.

Instead, let's focus on arbitrary and abstract concepts like "he's not a proven winner", or "he doesn't know how to close out a game". Like I said before, nobody outside of a Cards fan would take Leinart over Cutler.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
If we hadn't re-signed Warner for two years, I would do this deal in a heartbeat. However, you can't have two Pro Bowl quarterbacks on the same team.

If you think Cutler went nuts over being mentioned in trade talk, how is he going to react being demoted to the bench? Plus, he's a momma's boy and his parents would have to move here and hold his hand and tell the Cardinals what's best for their son.

Dallas should trade Tony Romo straight up for Cutler. That would be a deal that would be the best for both teams and both players.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
more followup:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f54761&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Before Jay Cutler and Josh McDaniels entered their swamp of contentious confusion, the groundwork for a muddled fallout between the quarterback and the Denver Broncos had roots in the days following team owner Pat Bowlen's Dec. 30 firing of coach Mike Shanahan.

Bus Cook, Cutler's agent, said on Wednesday morning: "Jay was disappointed in the firing of Mike Shanahan and met with the owner. The owner assured him everything would be fine. The owner said he had the second-best offense in football and would leave the offensive staff intact. Jay was good with that. Then he hires an offensive coach who gets rid of the staff."

Bowlen said on Wednesday afternoon: "I really have had no discussion with Jay or the agent. Mike was fired right after the season. At that point, there was no need to have a discussion with Jay. Now, actually, to be fair, I don't think I had that discussion. I don't recall it. I know I'm getting up there in age, and I am not sure of that discussion."

Little wonder Cutler and the Broncos are in total bewilderment.
This thing began unraveling quicker than most knew.

It is clear that Cutler bought into the coaching of Shanahan, and even more so, that of his former offensive coordinator, Jeremy Bates, who is now at USC. It appears Cutler believed keeping Bates aboard was the best of a rocky situation.

But on Jan. 12, Bowlen, as is his absolute right, hired former New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. McDaniels, as his absolute right, wanted to run his own offense with his own hand-picked offensive assistants.

Cutler's attitude at that point was, well, you might as well get rid of me, too.

"But I never requested a trade for Jay then," Cook said. "That is simply not true.

"Jay met with the coach early on and then told me everything was going to be OK. He said, 'We are going to work this out; we are on the same wavelength.' Everything was fine until Saturday two weeks ago. Jay called me and asked, 'Are they trying to trade me?' I told him, 'No, why would they try to do that?'"

That was when the story broke that the Broncos had discussions about trading Cutler in a deal that would bring then-New England quarterback and McDaniels mentee Matt Cassel to Denver. Cassel wound up being traded to the Kansas City Chiefs, but Cutler has said he lost trust in McDainiels because of the way the entire episode was handled.

"We told them the evening of our last meeting that Jay wanted to be a Bronco even before the meeting," Cook said. "Jay told them he understood about the coach's relationship with Matt Cassel. At no time was the coach critical of Jay. In fact, he told Jay soon after he got to Denver that Jay was the reason he came to Denver. So, why was he trying to trade him? All the guy had to do was say I dropped the ball, I have a special bond with Cassel, you are my guy. Jay never heard that. What he heard in the meeting was it could happen again."

An absolute mess here all around.

Bowlen realizes it. He was asked if he thought Cutler would remain a Bronco.

"To tell you the truth, I have no answer to that question," Bowlen said. "I would like to keep him here, obviously. But if you are going to be an unhappy camper, there is no real reason to be here."

Bowlen was asked if he has reservations about McDaniels, his new coach, or the way he handled this matter.

"Obviously, I am not going to criticize the head coach," Bowlen said. "I think he was trying to be a head coach. As I see it, Jay got upset about things and his feelings were hurt, and here we are. I am not going to weigh in on who is to blame here. This whole incident has been written about and talked about, and I am moving on, personally. We're getting ready for the draft and ready to play next season."
If I was Cutler, I might want to get out of that situation too. Bowlen's got a love affair going with McDaniels and it sounds like he's going to do everything in his power to justify and rationalize the decision to hire him.

I'd certainly be willing to bet that Bowlen's got visions of Patriots history dancing in his head. Unfortunately for him, Cutler isn't Bledsoe and Simms(?) isn't Brady. Where Bellichick, when the opportunity arose, got rid of a high priced, under-performing QB that didn't fit his system for a cheap, perfect fit alternative, McDaniels tried to force the issue to get "his" QB at a high price and at the expense of what he already had there by default.

jrjbritt

Registered
Reaction score
three way trade

why cant we be in a three way trade with Lienart going to Denver, Culter going to Detriot or Tampa and we get draft pics. Then let Whiz draft his QB and develop him, unless he already is set on St. Peierre? This could be an option. What you all think?

OP
OP
Cody

Cody

i love defense
Reaction score
why cant we be in a three way trade with Lienart going to Denver, Culter going to Detriot or Tampa and we get draft pics. Then let Whiz draft his QB and develop him, unless he already is set on St. Peierre? This could be an option. What you all think?

why not just keep leinart

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
Cutler is 17-20 as a starting QB under Shannahan, who is a very good coach IMO. Leinart is 7-9 under much retooling in the offensive scheme between Denny and Whis.

Leinart is maturing while Cutler is regressing.

Cutler has Type 1 diabetes, so who knows how his health will affect him in the next couple years.

I take Leinart

I agree with most of what you say but the diabetes is a non-issue, especially in the short term. He just has to make sure his sugar doesn't drop so low that he passes out while he's playing. Other than that it's no big deal.

I'd be more concerned with his need to compalin about things.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Kinda hard to consider that article as objective.
He's only 32 and he's new to being the boss. He's also not used to being around a pouty, immature quarterback.
Kinda sets the tone early.
And we all know how that once great Favre-Green Bay marriage turned out. It went up in flames and now Favre is retired and looking for TV work.
He blames Bus Cook for doing a poor job of "pulling the strings" with Favre but then he says he's a master at pulling strings with Cutler?
Before McDaniels and the Broncos pursued a failed trade for Matt Cassel, Cook had already been begging to get his client out. Denver told him no from the beginning.
"But I never requested a trade for Jay then," Cook said. "That is simply not true.

"Jay met with the coach early on and then told me everything was going to be OK. He said, 'We are going to work this out; we are on the same wavelength.' Everything was fine until Saturday two weeks ago. Jay called me and asked, 'Are they trying to trade me?' I told him, 'No, why would they try to do that?'"
Who to believe?
I don't know what to make of Cutler. He turned me off last season when he said his arm was better than John Elway's.
Said his arm was "stronger" not "better". This writer's a HOF voter too.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...?slug=ap-broncos-cutlerrift&prov=ap&type=lgns
McDaniels sticking by his disgruntled quarterback

DANA POINT, Calif. (AP)—The Broncos may be listening to offers for disgruntled quarterback Jay Cutler at the NFL owners meetings this week. If coach Josh McDaniels has his way, though, they’ll try to work things out to keep Cutler in Denver.

“He’s our quarterback. We can’t predict the future. He’s our quarterback, we want him to be our quarterback, we made that very clear to him and we hope he feels the same way,” McDaniels told the NFL Network on Monday, a day before he speaks publicly about the feud for the first time.
McDaniels reiterated that trade talks never reached owner Pat Bowlen’s desk, a sign that the issue never got to the serious stage.

“Conversations were had and we’ve never denied that, but at the same time it’s our job to look at every opportunity that we can to see if it’s something that could improve our football team, and that’s what we were doing,” McDaniels said.

Their relationship was strained when McDaniels failed to inform his Pro Bowl quarterback before trying to trade him for Matt Cassel, whom he tutored as New England’s offensive coordinator last year. Cutler asked for a trade through his agent after two meetings failed to soothe his hurt feelings.
McDaniels has said he’d rather meet face to face with Cutler again to try to patch their differences before seriously considering dealing the 25-year-old passer who set several franchise records last season.

“I know it’s been a very public issue and this is something that I think happens more than people realize. We have a relationship, nobody knows where it stands right now, but it’s going to get better,” McDaniels said. “It will continue to get better, I believe that. I think it’s something that both parties have to work toward a solid resolution. We have a good nucleus of players there that are looking forward to seeing him back at the facility and working with him. It will get to that point at some point in the near future.”

Of their strained relationship, McDaniels said: “I absolutely feel that it is not irreparable.”

Cutler skipped McDaniels’ first team meeting last week and hasn’t participated in the team’s offseason program, which is voluntary. He has said he’ll show up for a mandatory minicamp April 17-19 if he’s still a member of the Broncos.

Cutler is halfway through the six-year, $48 million contract he signed as the 11th overall pick out of Vanderbilt in the 2006 draft. He’s 17-20 as Broncos starter, although that’s misleading because of Denver’s dismal defenses. He’s 13-1 in games in which Denver held its opponents under 21 points.

McDaniels is scheduled to address the matter with reporters Tuesday.
That's a perfectly rational and reasonable thing to say. The problem is that he's talking about making the team better by signing a different QB and getting rid of Cutler. This wasn't a case of getting 12 #1 picks and 11 starters on defense or anything else along the lines of a Herschel Walker or Roy Williams deal that no team could ignore.

Believe me, I'm no Jay Cutler fan or apologist and I'm not saying that he's not being too sensitive about the whole situation but McDaniels isn't making things better. If the whole world can see that Cutler is the type of player that needs to be stroked a little bit rather than kicked in the butt, why does McDaniels continue to say things that will certainly keep Cutler pissed off?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cutler is going to be just good enough to break your heart for a solid decade. He'll make some Pro Bowls, put up big numbers, but I think he'll never be a big time winner.

So is Leinart's forecast better?

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
i think cutler and romo are cut from much the same cloth[this said w/o reading all the pages of this post] so if this has been mentioned i'm sorry. they have an immature cockiness about them that shows up when the pressure increases. We don't know if leinart has the goods or not, but whizz will find out soon AK after kurt and if not, leinart will be down the highway, believe it!

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would be tempted to just cause Cutler has a cannon for a arm, I know Leinart is more accurate but with our wr's we need a qb who can throw it down the field at will. I would rather want Cutler than Leinart.

GBPacker4life

Reaction score
cutler over did his reaction to the trade rumor but do you blame him, the new coach comes in and starts lookin to deal him? great start in denver.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cutler over did his reaction to the trade rumor but do you blame him, the new coach comes in and starts lookin to deal him? great start in denver.

I couldnt be happier about the implosion in Denver.. I love every minute of it..

PS - Packers suck..

Have a good day!

RolleRocks

Registered
Reaction score
That would be great.

And maybe when we are done with that deal, we can then trade Edge for Adrian Peterson.