WTF was Ross thinking?????

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMG, I just watched the game on DVR after returning from the stadium and just hit the sack/fumble on Leinart...OMG....OMG...OMG. Did Ross just not NOTICE the guy right off his shoulder??? Is he blind in his right eye????

You just can NOT let that happen...ever. EVER EVER!

That was disgusting and one of the worst plays I have ever seen.

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Doubt he did that in Pittsburg. Our o-line philosiphy seems to be pretty ....uggghhh...."weird". :shrug:

He blocked NO ONE! I'm just thankful Matt still can talk and has mobility of his limbs. Thanks Oliver...Canton couldn't be farther away! lol

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There's no way that isn't Ross' fault. It was a down lineman, a defensive end. You can't expect a fullback to block that guy. That play is 100% on Oliver Ross.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
There's no way that isn't Ross' fault. It was a down lineman, a defensive end. You can't expect a fullback to block that guy. That play is 100% on Oliver Ross.

We don't know for sure.

Leinart called an audible, and unless you have a copy of the playbook you don't know.

I agree that it appears Ross messed up, BUT at the same time it also looks like his block correlates with the rest of the OL.

Everyone is moving to the left. Maybe Ross blew the call, maybe Leinart audibled to a play-action left, roll-out right and didn't execute that play.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't know for sure.

Leinart called an audible, and unless you have a copy of the playbook you don't know.

I agree that it appears Ross messed up, BUT at the same time it also looks like his block correlates with the rest of the OL.

Everyone is moving to the left. Maybe Ross blew the call, maybe Leinart audibled to a play-action left, roll-out right and didn't execute that play.

Nice try, but no. Ross was at the end of the line, and there was a defensive end on his right shoulder. There is absolutely NO way that Ross is supposed to slide and let him go free, no matter the audible or line call.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We don't know for sure.

BS. We do know for sure. If there's any play in the playbook that calls for a RB to one-on-one block a pass-rushing DE, the entire offensive coaching staff deserves termination.

Last edited:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Nice try, but no. Ross was at the end of the line, and there was a defensive end on his right shoulder. There is absolutely NO way that Ross is supposed to slide and let him go free, no matter the audible or line call.

It's not a try to do anything...

I stated that Ross most likely blew it, BUT Ross' inside move is definately in sync with entire OL, so there's a possibility that Leinart messed up the audible.

Three facts here.

- Ross lets the DE go unblocked.
- Ross blocks in the same direction as the rest of the OL.
- None of us know the call, the line-call and the audible.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a try to do anything...

I stated that Ross most likely blew it, BUT Ross' inside move is definately in sync with entire OL, so there's a possibility that Leinart messed up the audible.

Three facts here.

- Ross lets the DE go unblocked.
- Ross blocks in the same direction as the rest of the OL.
- None of us know the call, the line-call and the audible.

OK, lets "assume" that Ross actually blocked the person that he was supposed to block, no one.

What play in the playbook could have worked, with a speed rusher on your blind side gets a freeshot at the QB? A bootleg to the right? Doubtful, since he is a left handed QB, and he would have had a hard time throwing the ball there. He doesn't have any designed runs off of the bootleg, so that throws that scenerio out as well.

EVERY other play, besides a run to the left hand side gets the results that you saw last night.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
According to Jurecki this morn Leinart called an audible. Ross was supposed to block down and the RB was supposed to block out. The RB didn't hear the audible.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely agree...

I wonder if Ross was thinking...."Hey, that DE is just going to shuffle side-ways down the line with me. He would not dare rush, untouched, and get a clean shot at our QB's blind side. He would not do that."

Audible or not. A DE's job is to rush the passer and keep containment. A tackles job is to not let the DE do his. Football 101.

No excuses. Ross at worst is benched and at best cut.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Audible or not. A DE's job is to rush the passer and keep containment. A tackles job is to not let the DE do his. Football 101.

Ok. The QB calls an audible but Ross should do what ever he feels is the best idea?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely agree...

I wonder if Ross was thinking...."Hey, that DE is just going to shuffle side-ways down the line with me. He would not dare rush, untouched, and get a clean shot at our QB's blind side. He would not do that."

And, if someone shoots the gap between him and the G Leinart gets hit even quicker and he didn't do what he was supposed to do. It was a quick drop and was supposed to be a quick pass, that's why it's a "gap" protection in that situation.

James didn't hear the audible. The discussion should be on whether it was a rookie mistake by Leinart or whether our star free agent screwed the pooch twice last night.

Tim

Reaction score
It was clear that it was Edge's fault. When the line shift one way, the back usually has the backside contain on the end (on a 3 step drop). Edge went left and ended up blocking someone over there.

Brewster10

Registered
Reaction score
If you take a look at the play... if Ross just abandons the audible call... Urlacher rips right throw the gap and probably plants Matt somewhere into the turf...

The RB was supposed to pick up th end and didnt...

Two terrible plays by Edge.. at least that should keep his mouth shut for the week.

roland77

Rookie
Reaction score
If you take a look at the play... if Ross just abandons the audible call... Urlacher rips right throw the gap and probably plants Matt somewhere into the turf...

The RB was supposed to pick up th end and didnt...

Two terrible plays by Edge.. at least that should keep his mouth shut for the week.

I noticed this on the replay too. Ross went left expecting Urlacher to blitz, but he didn't rush initially. By then it was too late.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I apologize to Ross then, if that is the case, and Edge should REALLY shut his trap. Edge also blew a block last week that led to a quick sack of Matt.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I apologize to Ross then, if that is the case, and Edge should REALLY shut his trap. Edge also blew a block last week that led to a quick sack of Matt.

Or, maybe Leinart didn't get the call to Edge. Often, a QB will turn around and tell the back the call to make sure he gets it. Did Leinart do this? I really don't remember.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was clear that it was Edge's fault. When the line shift one way, the back usually has the backside contain on the end (on a 3 step drop). Edge went left and ended up blocking someone over there.

According to Green, Ross missed his assignment. I will love to hear what he says about that play. I am sure that it will come up during the presser.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Jurecki this morn Leinart called an audible. Ross was supposed to block down and the RB was supposed to block out. The RB didn't hear the audible.

Well according to Dennis Green Ross missed his assignment. So there we have it, clear as mud.

Edge DID block someone

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well according to Dennis Green Ross missed his assignment. So there we have it, clear as mud.

Edge DID block someone

We'll see, I guess. But, it WAS a three step drop, not a seven. Blocking the gaps is standard technique on that sort of pass.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Edge DID block someone

To me it looked like Edge didn't hear the call. Femi was trying to tell Edge something but it seemed like Edge didn't understand it. I have a feeling that Edge was at fault on this one.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
BS. We do know for sure. If there's any play in the playbook that calls for a RB to one-on-one block a pass-rushing DE, the entire offensive coaching staff deserves termination.

:cheers:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only way I can see this happening is on a blitz. He was a down lineman though and the OLine should pick them up. RB's should pickup blitzing LB's