X-Men: First Class

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
WARNING: FANBOY ANSWER

Yes. A) she's a mutant. For example, Logan (wolverine) fought in WWI because he doesn't age like the rest of us. Why is it so hard to swallow that Mistique ages differently? B)she's a shapeshifter. Who knows what she "really looks like?

They address this directly in the movie.

and Rebecca Rojmin makes a brief cameo, as does Logan(who's is hilarious)

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the thing that is bugging me (I haven't seen the movie yet but plan too during my weekend). This movie is set during 1962, right? So we are supposed to believe Rebecca Romijn is in her 60s when the first X-Men movie happened?

Explained in movie.

asudevil83

Reaction score
saw it today....pretty decent movie. about in line with my expectations. my one gripe though was that the special effects didnt seem up to par, much like the wolverine movie.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thought it was decent and the last hour or so was really good, but the first hour was a bit boring for me.

Fassbender and McAvoy were really good as Magento/Charles Xavier.

oh, and the cameo was REALLY well done and the perfect use of the only F-word a PG-13 movie is allowed to have.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yep. They were perfect for their parts.

I'm not a huge Kevin Bacon fan but I thought he was really good as the villain. Especially in that first scene.

I agree that the first half of the movie was slow but I loved the character development throughout the movie.

Saw it a second time this weekend and it still was great for me.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
thought it was decent and the last hour or so was really good, but the first hour was a bit boring for me.

oh, and the cameo was REALLY well done and the perfect use of the only F-word a PG-13 movie is allowed to have.

Totally agree. If the whole movie was like the 2nd half it would have been one of the best comic book movies instead the 1st half dragged it down and it became just a decent movie.

Also I read an article that said Fassbender should be the next Bond whenever Daniel Craig is done and after seeing this I whole heartedly agree.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

OMG THIS. I was so incredibly bored the first hour it was actually getting annoying. Then it started to get good and I'm like; 'hey, wow, the movie finally started!' Way too long of a setup for my taste and so much of that first hour was just hokey. Seriously Kevin Bacons all white submarine with the chick in high boots driving? I thought I was watching an Austin Powers movie for a minute. He just needed a cat sitting on his lap and it would have been complete. lol

Overall I liked it but there was so much fat that could have been trimmed from the first half, the movie could have been much shorter and less slow IMO.

I also agree with Shane. Thor was way better.

Last edited:

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
OMG THIS. I was so incredibly bored the first hour it was actually getting annoying. Then it started to get good and I'm like; 'hey, wow, the movie finally started!' Way too long of a setup for my taste and so much of that first hour was just hokey. Seriously Kevin Bacons all white submarine with the chick in high boots driving? I thought I was watching an Austin Powers movie for a minute. He just needed a cat sitting on his lap and it would have been complete. lol

Overall I liked it but there was so much fat that could have been trimmed from the first half, the movie could have been much shorter and less slow IMO.

I also agree with Shane. Thor was way better.

The worst scene in the movie was...
When they were just sitting in the room deciding what their names were going to be. I don't know how you could make the scene any worse.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really liked it. Thought it was better than Thor(which I also enjoyed) but not as good as Dark Knight.

Agree.

I just got back. It was definitely good. But it was not as good as Thor. No way no how! :)

Disagree.

Liked then both very much. I think the difference (at least for me) was there was more back story to the X-Men series. (I do not read comic books.) Thought that was cool since I didn't know a lot about the story though have seen some of the movies.

Thor was very good and definitely had more humor, though I felt as though I got the whole story in one movie. Not that there's anything wrong with that at all.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thor was very good and definitely had more humor, though I felt as though I got the whole story in one movie. Not that there's anything wrong with that at all.
That just means they're doing Thor in the right order.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That just means they're doing Thor in the right order.

That could very well be true. I am by no means a comic book girl, so my perspective is definitely different.

I admit it is a little difficult to follow all the X-Men movies. Did love the Hugh Jackman bit in the latest movie though. (At least I got THAT joke, lol.)