Xavier Thomas article…

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You find me any list put together by anyone that has JT as a top 20 safety. Heck see if you can find anyone that gives him an honourable mention.

Winfield
Hamilton
Budda
Bates
Minkah
Williams
Holland
James
McKinney
Byard
Hufanga
All 3 Vikings safeties
Alohi Gilman
Kam Curl
Geno Stone
CGJ
Simmons
Badger
Dugger
Pitre
Branch
Cisco
Peppers

That's 25.

There's an ESPN article below where league execs, scouts and coaches rank their top 10 but it lists all who received a single vote and there are 25. Guess who isn't on it?

JT is a guy. He's a solid guy. Occasionally a good guy. But there are a whole lot of better safeties in the league.
Wow...just ignoring stats.

You must be registered for see images attach

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Pitre is better though he didn't have a single int (not a playmaker), worse comp%, worse QB rating, and almost double the missed tackle%?

You are just out here throwing garbage against the wall.

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pitre is better though he didn't have a single int (not a playmaker), worse comp%, worse QB rating, and almost double the missed tackle%.

You are just out here throwing garbage against the wall.
Go on Texans Reddit or social media & even you’ll see most of them say he was awful last year. Hell, he looked awful against us when we played Houston last year.

Feel like the best way to judge a player’s currently ability on another team is what the their fanbase says about them.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

This should sum it up. I think Derwin James is a better S than Jalen Thompson, however, the stats are very close. This highlights how close Jalen Thompson is statistically to some top S in the league. He is a top 20 guy.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PFF had him at 26. Kinda splitting hairs at that point?
Just playing for the Cardinals costs players a half dozen spots or so on the rankings. Put them on Dallas and all of the sudden they will jump up the list next season.

IMO.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This should sum it up. I think Derwin James is a better S than Jalen Thompson, however, the stats are very close. This highlights how close Jalen Thompson is statistically to some top S in the league. He is a top 20 guy.
I don’t think so. Derwin was a straight up liability last year.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
You find me any list put together by anyone that has JT as a top 20 safety. Heck see if you can find anyone that gives him an honourable mention.

Winfield
Hamilton
Budda
Bates
Minkah
Williams
Holland
James
McKinney
Byard
Hufanga
All 3 Vikings safeties
Alohi Gilman
Kam Curl
Geno Stone
CGJ
Simmons
Badger
Dugger
Pitre
Branch
Cisco
Peppers

That's 25.

There's an ESPN article below where league execs, scouts and coaches rank their top 10 but it lists all who received a single vote and there are 25. Guess who isn't on it?

JT is a guy. He's a solid guy. Occasionally a good guy. But there are a whole lot of better safeties in the league.
There are lies. Damn lies. And statistics.

JT is a top safety and would play a ton of snaps on any team in the NFL.

Fact.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Vibes is the best metric
It is..when paired with the eye test.
Once watched Ronnie Lott have serious impact on a game without recording any stats.
Simply due to the fact that 4 WR's short armed easy catches because they knew he was about to blast their ribcage.
Stats rarely tell a true story and never tell a complete one.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It is..when paired with the eye test.
Once watched Ronnie Lott have serious impact on a game without recording any stats.
Simply due to the fact that 4 WR's short armed easy catches because they knew he was about to blast their ribcage.
Stats rarely tell a true story and never tell a complete one.
Examples from 30 years ago very relevant to this conversation

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Winfield
Hamilton
Budda
Bates
Minkah
Williams
Holland
James
McKinney
Byard
Hufanga
All 3 Vikings safeties
Alohi Gilman
Kam Curl
Geno Stone
CGJ
Simmons
Badger
Dugger
Pitre
Branch
Cisco
Peppers

That's 25.

Byard?? He's cooked. he was absolute garbage for the eagles last year. This list is cute, but I know what I see and most of the bias against JT is that he plays for the Arizona Cardinals.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Byard?? He's cooked. he was absolute garbage for the eagles last year. This list is cute, but I know what I see and most of the bias against JT is that he plays for the Arizona Cardinals.
Lmao I didn’t even notice Byard was on that list.

Classic BritCard.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The irritating part is that his list blatantly ignores statistics.

The irritating part is that if I used a single years stats to say that X was better than Y for literally any other player you would argue that "Stats, and especially a single years stats, do not make a fair comparison".

It's like arguing that EJ Speeds 64.4% completions allowed, and 73 passer rating allowed makes him better than Fred Warner as his stats are worse. Or Bobby Wagners 183 tackles and 3.5 sacks make him better than Warner as his stats are worse.

Terrel Bernard of the Bills had 6.5 sacks, 143 tackles. 71.4% completions allowed and 80.1 passer rating vs 2.5 sacks, 132 tackles, 73.7% passes allowed and 76.6 passer rating.

Is Terrel Bernard better than Fred Warner?