You guys have gone off the deep end!

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
Wanting to start Leinart is ludicrous. It's still early in the season and we know that Warner is capable of playing better than he did Sunday, even though I'm not so sure all of the turnovers were due to him playing badly.

If we start Leinart, for whatever the reason may be, it'll only serve to bring to life the concerns alot of us shared when we talked about him starting at anytime this year.

A) Probably the biggest concern of all, who'll protect his blindside? Do you all of a sudden expect Ross to do it? If he gives the same type of protection he did last year, Leinart will be lucky to make it through the season.

B) Who expects Leinart to have suddenly developed into the guy who's going to be able to go out and read the complex defenses that he's going to be facing? I don't think he's anywhere near ready for that. Please don't confuse preseason with true gameplans.

C) Isn't this sending the message that we are giving up on this season? I for one am not ready to forfeit the season after two losses.

I'm okay with giving Leinart spot duty in games that have already been decided or if it's clear that we have no chance to make the playoffs, but until then I'd rather stick to the original plan of having Leinart learn from the bench.

Every time a QB struggles on this team, we have all kinds of people screaming for a change at QB. I remember everyone calling for Navarre to be put in during his rookie year and now everyone wonders why the guy is even allowed to remain on the team.

Let's show a little more patience. What are you guys going to do if Leinart is put in and he throws six picks?

mesacardsfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more finally someone with some common sense!

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
6 picks? thats only a slight downgrade from our all-pro superbowl MVP QB.

its over for warner, his decision making is slow, passes arent crisp and he fumbles the damn ball every freaking game.

7-9 at best with warner (being generous)
or
5-11 with leinart

7-9 does us jack, 13 games for leinart does us good.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6 picks? thats only a slight downgrade from our all-pro superbowl MVP QB.

its over for warner, his decision making is slow, passes arent crisp and he fumbles the damn ball every freaking game.

7-9 at best with warner (being generous)
or
5-11 with leinart

7-9 does us jack, 13 games for leinart does us good.

exactly.

I can pinpoint EXACTLY the moment where i realized that Kurt Warner OFFICIALLY wasn't an NFL QB anymore and it wasn't this week. It was during the Seattle game, when he bought time and stepped up int he pocket where he planted himself and threw to a WIDE-OPEN Bergen for a TD and underthrew the ugliest duck I've ever seen by TEN YARDS. That was it - that was the moment I said: This guy is not an NFL QB anymore - than he went out continued to play like, well, a grocery bagger last week against an AWFUL Rams team that made Alex Smith look good last week.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
It's all pretty simple to me.

Regardless of performance, if the team has given up on Warner, so should we.

Judging by the quotes and general feel of the locker room after the game Sunday, it appears it's time to move on to Leinart.

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
It's all pretty simple to me.

Regardless of performance, if the team has given up on Warner, so should we.

Judging by the quotes and general feel of the locker room after the game Sunday, it appears it's time to move on to Leinart.

Great. And if Leinert can't handle it for 3 games I think we need to pull him for Navarre.And how do you know that the team has given up on him? Leinert is going to get creamed back there. The O line won't get better all of a sudden because he in.
Dang I really had high hopes for this season. 1 and 2 so it's panic time. Lose by 2 so lets call it a season.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wanting to start Leinart is ludicrous. It's still early in the season and we know that Warner is capable of playing better than he did Sunday, even though I'm not so sure all of the turnovers were due to him playing badly.

If we start Leinart, for whatever the reason may be, it'll only serve to bring to life the concerns alot of us shared when we talked about him starting at anytime this year.

A) Probably the biggest concern of all, who'll protect his blindside? Do you all of a sudden expect Ross to do it? If he gives the same type of protection he did last year, Leinart will be lucky to make it through the season.
Davis hasnt exactly been Orlando Pace out there now has he. Its a wash.

B) Who expects Leinart to have suddenly developed into the guy who's going to be able to go out and read the complex defenses that he's going to be facing? I don't think he's anywhere near ready for that. Please don't confuse preseason with true gameplans.
So what? You dont think he is ready oh football guru? What if he is. I think he is. So where doesn leave us with all our football knowledge? We both think the complete opposite. And guess what> Neither of us watch him practice. For all we know he is stellar.

C) Isn't this sending the message that we are giving up on this season? I for one am not ready to forfeit the season after two losses.
My neice could QB this offense to 20 points a game. We had 1 good quater of play with this loaded offense and a QB who is really stinking it up. This isnt exactly rocket science here.

Every time a QB struggles on this team, we have all kinds of people screaming for a change at QB. I remember everyone calling for Navarre to be put in during his rookie year
Oh yeah we really should hung with that McCown dude. Putting in Navarre cost us a championship indeed!

Let's show a little more patience. What are you guys going to do if Leinart is put in and he throws six picks?
I have 500.00$ he doesnt do it. In fact Ill bet you 5 hundred he doesnt throw 2. If Wanrer was in i wouldnt make that bet.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I'm okay with giving Leinart spot duty in games that have already been decided or if it's clear that we have no chance to make the playoffs, but until then I'd rather stick to the original plan of having Leinart learn from the bench.

Every time a QB struggles on this team, we have all kinds of people screaming for a change at QB. I remember everyone calling for Navarre to be put in during his rookie year and now everyone wonders why the guy is even allowed to remain on the team.

I agree.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's what I don't get, as I see it there's 2 explanations for Warner's play Sunday.

1) The helmet to helmet hit left him woozy and he turned it over repeatedly in which case we're mad at him for not saying he was woozy, and mad at Green for keeping a woozy QB in there.

2) Warner, as he says, was fine, and he just turned it over 4 times despite being fine. Yes the Rams so far this year are forcing turnovers but some of those were unforced.

So you either have a QB that was too shaken up to be playing in which case a week off sounds fine, or a QB that completely healthy burped up the ball 4 times Sunday. As someone else yesterday said, you play veterans over rookies to avoid rookie mistakes, if the veteran is going to make rookie mistakes why not play the rookie?

I don't think this is permanent if Matt struggles Kurt can still come in this week or later on, but if Matt plays well at that point I think we have to face some facts, Kurt Warner has started 13 games as a Cardinal:

16 TD passes, 13 INT's, 17 fumbles 7 lost fumbles and the team's record with him as the starter is 3-10 and that includes 2 wins over the 49ers. Matt is the QBOF and we might as well see how far he has come and give Kurt a week off. I never believed Kurt would play a full season anyways I don't see why people are so surprised by this Green does NOT tolerate lack of ball security.

seesred

Reaction score
This team needs some changes if it's to be able to win games. We have a a guy on the sidelines that was something like 34-2 in a top college program. He wont do any worse than when Ben came in for the Steelers. We have a running game that is coming on, two no make that three very good to great recievers an O-line that looked good when they were all together.

Our defense is stellar. Our special teams has played well for the most part. We are missing a key ingrediant, and that is a guy who wont lose the game for us, just control the clock. There is nobody on this team that can fill this roll at this time except fpr Lienart. Give the kid the ball. I've been a Warner supporter for years and still like the guy, but time has come for him to play backup. He has had count them 1 quarter of good football since game 1. Change now is the right thing to do.

GBR

Slacker

Rookie
Reaction score
16 TD passes, 13 INT's, 17 fumbles 7 lost fumbles and the team's record with him as the starter is 3-10 and that includes 2 wins over the 49ers. Matt is the QBOF and we might as well see how far he has come and give Kurt a week off. I never believed Kurt would play a full season anyways I don't see why people are so surprised by this Green does NOT tolerate lack of ball security.

How can anyone on this board defend that? It's over.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
We seem to all be acting like this team needs a hero like when Plummer played 1st half goat and 2nd half hero all of 98.

This team is relatively solid, this team cannot have a QB turn the ball over 4 times a game PERIOD!

I don't care if it's permanent or for one game while supposedly fine Kurt actually does get his head clear for real, it sends a message to Kurt that if you don't want your playing days to be over, hold on to the @$!% ball.

This day was comming sooner or later, he's not a completely defenseless kid we are going to tie to a stake so that the other team can take free shots at, I'm sure they protect him to the extent they think they need too and he'll be fine, we have weapons.

When most QB's like Leinart play for the first time it's on a terrible team with WR's llike we had the year before we got Boldin, they also have no running game and a franchise that's in year 0 of rebuilding, they get killed, no one to take the heat off but they learn, this is not what Matt is comming into, you can make a case that there is signifigant chance he just might take the ball and never give it back, I'm betting on that but whatever happens this move was consistent with just not tolerating turnovers by the QB or anyone for that matter.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of Leinart taking 14 games worth of hits and sacks behind our O-line. I wouldn't have started Leinart until after week 8 if I didn't have to. Especially with KW two weeks removed from offensive player of the week. Just seems completely unnecessary. Like its just being done to prove the point that if you make a glaring mistake, you will ride the bench. As with Macklin. Doesn't seem worth it.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
even though I'm not so sure all of the turnovers were due to him playing badly.

:lmao:

WOW! Thats really all I needed to read to see that your opinion is well out there.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Completely irrelevant!

Ross signed a 5 year deal here and will be our RT like it or not. He will be protecting Leinarts blind side whether it be this year or next.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Certainly not out of the realm of possabillity. If a guy like Roethlisberger could do it who's to sat Leinart cant? YOU?

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This seaon is over. We will be 1-3 after this week with two division losses both to the two teams ahead of us. We just arent there yet. You trying to say we are is trying to smell roses where then arent any.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have 500.00$ he doesnt do it. In fact Ill bet you 5 hundred he doesnt throw 2. If Wanrer was in i wouldnt make that bet.

What makes you say that swd?? I don't see that drastic an upgrade in this game from Kurt, and that's no knock against Matt, who I feel could be the best qb in the NFL soon. What he is not is a magic tonic that will make the Cards some juggernaut capable of beating good teams on the road and make us all forget about our horrid OL. The Falcons are going to bring everyone and my mom to harass Matt. and he WILL make some mistakes. I just don't see the logic in this move. 2 interceptions is very realistic and a strong possibility.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here's what I don't get, as I see it there's 2 explanations for Warner's play Sunday.

1) The helmet to helmet hit left him woozy and he turned it over repeatedly in which case we're mad at him for not saying he was woozy, and mad at Green for keeping a woozy QB in there.

2) Warner, as he says, was fine, and he just turned it over 4 times despite being fine. Yes the Rams so far this year are forcing turnovers but some of those were unforced.

So you either have a QB that was too shaken up to be playing in which case a week off sounds fine, or a QB that completely healthy burped up the ball 4 times Sunday. As someone else yesterday said, you play veterans over rookies to avoid rookie mistakes, if the veteran is going to make rookie mistakes why not play the rookie?

I don't think this is permanent if Matt struggles Kurt can still come in this week or later on, but if Matt plays well at that point I think we have to face some facts, Kurt Warner has started 13 games as a Cardinal:

I found this excerpt from an old article. I think it is relevant to this topic:

The one indisputable aspect of his situation was that everyone--team doctors, coach Mike Martz, Warner himself--knew by the start of the third quarter that he at least had experienced concussion-like problems.
Yet, as badly as he played, with six fumbles, one interception, repeated off-kilter passes and poor decisions, Martz says he didn't consider replacing him with Marc Bulger. Nor, apparently, did Warner ever approach Martz and recommend that Bulger play.

So much of what transpired brought back shades of last season, when Warner performed terribly, yet continued to start except when he was hurt too badly. And he admitted in the offseason that when he did return later in the schedule against the Eagles, he wasn't honest with Martz before that game about the pain in his throwing hand.

It seems as though Kurt has a problem admitting that his injuries could be costing the team games. I know I say him reach for his hand a few times Sunday.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roethlisberger sat behind the best OL in the league, bad example.

No its not. Roth sat behind a good OL but not the best in the league. Our OL actually pass protects VERY WELL overall so its a very good example. Roth also didnt have the skill set of players we have. By far better than what Roth had to work with. Nice try though.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I will be the first to say that Warner had a bad game Sunday but to start Leinhart this early in the season and his carreer is not very well thought out. It is like giving up on the season after only three games. We were not going to win the Seattle game no matter what. Warner fumbled on a play that cost us the game. You might also say our cornerback cost us the game by not being able to cover Tory Holt. You might also say D. Green cost us the game by not moving someone else to cover Holt. Warner had a bad game. What QB does not. I just do not think it is time to move our new QB into the starting lineup in front of a suspect OL. Green just does not seem to know what he wants to do. The sooner this guy is out of here the better. I just have this feeling he does not have a clue.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Come on people.. WAKE UP! Warner looked old and feeble out there... even when we was lighting up the 49ers. He looked lost against Seattle, he was limping against the Rams and I swear I saw him holding his hand. His complete lack of composure on the sidelines is evident and he offers us NOTHING in the way of mobility. Yes folks in today's NFL your QB has to be able to offer you some ability to escape a pass rush and right now Kurt doesn't. No he doesn't need to be Michael Vick, but the guy is a freaking light pole back there.

Last edited: