You're the new owner of the Mavericks, how do you fix the team?

Furio

Rookie
Reaction score
Is it an easy fix or do you make some huge trades?

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
They need a third star to put next to Nowitzki and Josh Howard, plus better role players and leadership from somewhere.

I would start out by looking around for a new coach, "just in case". Then, I'd start looking for trades. Everybody but Nowitzki, Howard and Diop should probably be available right now.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Mavs need a strong offensive post presence (Boozer, Zach Randolph type) so they can have an inside-outside offensive game that gets open jumpers for soft guys like Dirk to knock down. They need a coach that can actually create offensive plays to get their soft guys open for the jumpshots they love to take. They need a real PG that can setup teammates for open shots instead of everyone going 1 on 1 all game long.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first thing I get is a legit inside player. Dirk is your big man yet he is as soft as they come. You need someone who can draw others down in the paint then kick out to Dirk.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a less annoying owner?

HooverDam

Reaction score
I melt down Dirks MVP trophy, turn it into bullets, and kill myself, because I have to spend a lot of time in Dallas.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Mavs need a strong offensive post presence (Boozer, Zach Randolph type) so they can have an inside-outside offensive game that gets open jumpers for soft guys like Dirk to knock down. They need a coach that can actually create offensive plays to get their soft guys open for the jumpshots they love to take. They need a real PG that can setup teammates for open shots instead of everyone going 1 on 1 all game long.

Agreed. Gasol might be an answer.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
The Mavs' other 'big man' needs to be able to guard the basket and also match up with smaller, offense-minded players--that's why Diop is so useful for them. I don't think Boozer, Zach Randolph or Gasol would help them nearly as much as P.J. Brown or even Tyrus Thomas.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Instead of putting Dirk on the bike this offseason, have him take Diop to a gym and both of them work on their post games.

Personnel wise they are pretty set. Their weakness is the lack of a post presence on offense.

Gasol on the Mavs would be sick.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think there is all that much disagreement with what the Mavs need, but perhaps there is some on priority.

1. Point guard: The Mavs do not have a real point guard. This has turned them into a "one on one" style team, which is far easier to stop than a team that creates easy shots though ball movement.

2. Second perimeter defender: Josh Howard is their only perimeter defender. Ordinarily the Mavs team defense can make up for it, but against the Warriors it couldn't.

3. Small ball power forward: The Warriors were helpless without Dampier and Diop defensively; but those guys were no help against outside shooters nor could they shoot. Starting the series with Devon George turned out to be a disaster.

4. Serious low post threat: The problem the Mavs have is that this guy needs to be a strong enough defender to cover for Dirk. Most big guys are either good on offense or good on defense; but not both. The Mavs have some trading pieces, but they will be competing with teams like the Bulls for someone to take the pressure off their outside guys.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've never been impressed with Gasol, but he's probably available this summer. There are a lot of guys that come to mind that would give the Mavs a low post presence......Elton Brand, Eddie Curry, Tyson Chandler, Jermaine O'Neal, Dwight Howard (no chance), Nene, Boozer, Randolph & Pat Burke.

Last edited:

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
The Mavs' other 'big man' needs to be able to guard the basket and also match up with smaller, offense-minded players--that's why Diop is so useful for them. I don't think Boozer, Zach Randolph or Gasol would help them nearly as much as P.J. Brown or even Tyrus Thomas.
I disagree - their problem is not on defense, it's on offense. They can't score in the paint. Their only two decent defensive big men can't put the ball in the hoop to save their lives.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I disagree - their problem is not on defense, it's on offense. They can't score in the paint. Their only two decent defensive big men can't put the ball in the hoop to save their lives.
They only have one decent defensive big man.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is all that much disagreement with what the Mavs need, but perhaps there is some on priority.

Serious low post threat should be #1: Dirk has been exposed. Where before good team defense hid most of that during the season. If you double Dirk he is done. You need a legit low post guy that can draw double teams. That would leave Dirk to do his thing.

Point guard? Yeah it would be great but the type of PG they need doesn't grow on trees. This is more of a pipe dream.

Perimeter defender? Nobody could have guarded that team. Everybody was putting up 3 pointers. No team in the NBA could have defended all the 3 point shooters in that game. GS was unusually hot. Baron is a 30% 3 point shooter and shot over 50%. That won't happen again.

Small ball power forward? I think they do just fine running. The Mavs proved they could run when they had to for most of the season. Now if they lost Stack then I would say they need to replace him with a similar player.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Move the team to Vegas and let the "gang-bangers" whittle down my roster...

Then I clone Michael Jordan and trade Dirk for draft picks.

OP
OP
F

Furio

Rookie
Reaction score
Move the team to Vegas and let the "gang-bangers" whittle down my roster...

Then I clone Michael Jordan and trade Dirk for draft picks.

Is this before or after your marry Jessica Alba?

:)

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

Ironically, what they actually need is Nash.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I've never been impressed with Gasol, but he's probably available this summer. There are a lot of guys that come to mind that would give the Mavs a low post presence......Elton Brand, Eddie Curry, Tyson Chandler, Jermaine O'Neal, Dwight Howard (no chance), Nene, Boozer, Randolph & Pat Burke.

Haha, just awesome.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Hmmm....

I'm the Mavs GM and I am charged with fixing the team?

I trade Dirk nowitzki to PHX in exchange for Marion/Banks/#4(Horford)/#24

I trade Terry/#24/#30(whatever it is) to whoever drafts Conley and accept whatever bad contract has to come along with him to make that happen

My team going into next year is:

Conley-Howard-Marion-Horford-Dampier

But, most important for all to realize is that I am a Suns fan no matter who I am a GM for so my first goal is to make the Suns better!!!!

:D

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
First I write a nice long letter of apology to David Stern and to the fans of every other team for having to put up with the previous owner all these years.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score

Yep. If they want to get tougher, they need to stay away from Gasol. He's soft.