Zarko activated

sunsfn

Reaction score
This is good news, I hope he can get his game back........although you have to be on the active list to be traded...?? Naw, that is not gonna happen,,,right?

Dec. 7, 2004: The Suns today activated forward Zarko Cabarkapa and placed rookie forward/center Jackson Vroman on the injured list with a left groin strain. Cabarkapa, who has not played this season, will be in uniform for tonight's game vs. Golden State at America West Arena at 7 p.m.
Cabarkapa was placed on the injured list with left knee tendinitis on Nov. 1 and missed the first 17 games of the season. The 6-11, 225-pound forward averaged 4.1 points and 2.0 rebounds in 49 games during his rookie season in 2003-04. Vroman, a 6-10, 220-pound rookie, averaged 1.4 points and 1.6 rebounds in five games this season.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
These guys have got to stop pulling on their groins. Don't they know they'll just end up on the IL?

Joe Mama

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
These guys have got to stop pulling on their groins. Don't they know they'll just end up on the IL?

or worse - blind with hairy palms!

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
or worse - blind with hairy palms!

LOL!

I was just about to go back and edit my post to mention possible blindness, and I thought I should check to see if one of you other jokers beat me to it. Sure enough it had already been said. :)

Joe Mama

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man would I like to see Zarko actually just start to live up to that form he showed before he Fortsoned. If and Hunter could actually be productive coming off the bench, along even with Casey and Leo - that would be awesome - size, athleticism, shot blocking and shooting and speed - all off the bench - man what a combo.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Zarko might be kinda weak on the defensive end but I REALLY liked what I saw out of him before fatboy smashed him down.

I really dont wanna trade Zarko yet. He seems to create alot of matchup problems when he is playing well.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
The one thing that bothers me with the development of Zarko is that management wants him to be a PF because of his size. I completely disagree with this approach. In reality Zarko is a SF, and should not deviate from that. In the games I watched before the Fortson incident Zarko had good speed, and was a pretty good finisher coming off the wing. I think if he was developed and coached more in those areas he would have a better opportunity to succeed. Because lets face it, to be a PF in this league you need to be KG/AMARE/DUNCAN-esque. Zarko doesn't fit that description, and he will never become anything more than a scrub PF no matter how much we coach him. Zarko is a SF, its that simple.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
The one thing that bothers me with the development of Zarko is that management wants him to be a PF because of his size. I completely disagree with this approach. In reality Zarko is a SF, and should not deviate from that. In the games I watched before the Fortson incident Zarko had good speed, and was a pretty good finisher coming off the wing. I think if he was developed and coached more in those areas he would have a better opportunity to succeed. Because lets face it, to be a PF in this league you need to be KG/AMARE/DUNCAN-esque. Zarko doesn't fit that description, and he will never become anything more than a scrub PF no matter how much we coach him. Zarko is a SF, its that simple.

I don't think the Phoenix Suns would intentionally play someone out of position like that. :)

I think the key for Cabarkapa is that he has to show some confidence and consistency with his jump shot... regardless of where the coaches put him on the floor. I think they realize that he is never going to be a great defender. As long as he can slow someone down a little they will be happy if he is scoring and helping the offense.

Joe Mama

Errntknght

Reaction score
I think you've got it right about Zarko's shooting, Joe - without that he will be of little use. But I do think there is a problem with his defense - I don't think he'll be able to play the style of D that coach Mikey wants. Casey isn't a good defender but he is good at doubling down and scrambling so he gets playing time in spite of being fairly regularly abused.

Hey, I just thought of solution... play Casey and Zarko together because the opponents can only pick on one of them at a time! Sometimes I just amaze myself...

Actually, I like Zarko on the offensive end - he does work the baseline some and against zones he moves into the middle as a playmaker. And frail as he is, he rebounds reasonably well. If the team used zone defense, he might do okay... say as a wing in a 2-3 configuration.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Republic suggested that they brought up Zarko as another wing man rather than as an inside guy. We'll see.

One thing about guys his size is that he can play off opponents and still bother their shooting (7'1" wing span will do that for you). If Zarko focuses on improving his footwork, he could be good enough to get some playing time.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
The Republic suggested that they brought up Zarko as another wing man rather than as an inside guy. We'll see.

One thing about guys his size is that he can play off opponents and still bother their shooting (7'1" wing span will do that for you). If Zarko focuses on improving his footwork, he could be good enough to get some playing time.
That would be a good idea since Bo, Jackson, & Jake don't get any minutes at all. Maybe Zarko can get into some of Casey's minutes. I am sure he was in Mike's Doghouse for not working out with the team during the summer. I still hold hope for him.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Zarko should be a SF regardless.

If he ever does start playing like he began playing he will make a huge impact on this team. He will give the Suns another long lanky mismatch lineup for team to worry about.

5-Amare 6'10"
4-Marion 6'7"
3-Zarko 6'11"

Zarko could easily become the second best passer on this team if he can ever play like his former self.

I also feel he could be our most effective player off the bench along with Hunter.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
D'Antoni hasn't figured out how to use Bo yet, but I expect we will see him if and when they decide to use the press. Right now that is not part of their game plan, but against certain teams the press could be very effective.

Also, it looked like Bo was more effective than Casey defensing Wally. We may see that kind of spot play when a strong outside guy is breaking Casey down.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
This is great news to me. Of all the players on the bench, Zarko IMO had the most talent, and he's the only one who really fits in with Small Ball.

I think that (when he showed up at training camp) Zarko discovered he would need an entirely new level of conditioning to keep up with this year's Suns, and he's finally achieved that. Now I hope we can find out whether his wrist healed properly, or whether he'll shoot like Shaq for the rest of his life.

It would be nice to see Zarko start to get some of those three-minute looks that Bo and Jake are getting, but he'll probably have to show something in garbage time first. The Suns definitely need someone to compete with Casey, and to be available to step in if there's an injury.

BleedRed

Registered
Reaction score
I still get pissed when I think about that foul by Fortson. Zarko was really making some huge strides up and to that point. I'd love to see him start playing well again. Go "Z"!!!!

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
even if they do play him at power forward he creates mismatches by the speed of his first step. He'll be able to drive by most 4s. Hopefully he doesn't look so lost on the court... I remember the only nationally televised preseason game (can't remember who it was against) I saw him for a couple minutes and he looked lonely and scared out there... I never got to see any pre-Fortsoned minutes last season to compare with but I heard he really tore up preseason and his stats in that Dallas game were great.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05