CP3 not retiring

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My biggest thing is that he'll be too much in KD's face, I mean i hate the whole "leadership by example" crap they say KD does and no one holds him accountable, but cp3 can be a lot for arguably a top 5 all time player to deal with.

I didn't watch a lot of Warriors games outside of when they played the Suns but CP3 never got in Curry, Klay, or Draymond's face in a confrontational manner. I don't recall him doing that to KD when they were together for those 25-30 games last season also.

CP3 has this reputation that supersedes his actual game. He's supposedly this big bully who is always berating his teammates and flopping into guys to hurt them as well. I didn't see that in Phoenix over his tenure and I didn't see that in Golden State. He did ride Ayton occasionally but Ayton needs someone riding him. I won't use that as an example of CP3 being a bad teammate because Paul wasn't the only one who did get on Ayton's case for being disengaged or making boneheaded reads.

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score
CP did well and was a asset as a Sun, but his age, contract dollars, and injuries don't play well into the Suns' plans. CP has played for six NBA teams and is 38 years old. He isn't going to play for minimum contract money, so forget that.

IMO, its time for CP to retire,,,,make a few more SF insurance commercials, write a book > NBA Player-Coach, maybe some parts in movies or TV shows, NBA sports analyst, etc. while his name and image still has some value.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see both sides of the argument. But for minimum, and assuming he doesn't have an attitude about being a bench guy, it would probably be worth it. It does make the team overall more precarious healthwise, however.
Yeah I'd absolutely bring him back if he's got the right mindset. His ability to see the court and "think" the game is something we seem to lack (beyond Beal) I don't believe you can count on him as your primary backup PG but he could help us as the PG equivalent of Biyombo - limited minutes, limited wear and tear.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Yeah I'd absolutely bring him back if he's got the right mindset. His ability to see the court and "think" the game is something we seem to lack (beyond Beal) I don't believe you can count on him as your primary backup PG but he could help us as the PG equivalent of Biyombo - limited minutes, limited wear and tear.
I'd bring him back for 4th quarters alone. Solves that issue and less wear and tear on him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd bring him back for 4th quarters alone. Solves that issue and less wear and tear on him.
Yeah, that's about it for me too but he could fill in to close quarters or halves earlier as needed. He was often the weakest link out there for much of the game yet still managed to be very effective during crunch time.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Liabilities in the playoffs should be avoided IMO. Even at the minimum contract level.

And his 3pt percentage, injury history, defense, and pace of play makes him an extreme liability for this squad.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, that's about it for me too but he could fill in to close quarters or halves earlier as needed. He was often the weakest link out there for much of the game yet still managed to be very effective during crunch time.

If I’m not mistaken his crunch time stats his last year here fell off a Cliff.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good to hear from you, Finito.

Still, I'd take him over no depth at point guard.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He also had way too many minutes, which ALWAYS lead to problems in the post season. By the playoffs, his body was breaking down. Reduce his minutes in the regular season, he'll be a lot fresher come May and June.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, he dropped from no longer being maybe the best crunch time player to just being a pretty good crunch time player. That's based on what I believe I saw, don't know if the stats back it up.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Liabilities in the playoffs should be avoided IMO. Even at the minimum contract level.

And his 3pt percentage, injury history, defense, and pace of play makes him an extreme liability for this squad.

He'd probably be one of the best defenders on the team and this season his clutch stats were, as they always have been, excellent.

Injuries, yeah, that is a concern but I'd rather have a guy who I fret that he might get hurt than someone I am terrified about having to actually set foot on the court.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure, he dropped from no longer being maybe the best crunch time player to just being a pretty good crunch time player. That's based on what I believe I saw, don't know if the stats back it up.

I wanna say he was like bottom of the league.

He’s just not that guy anymore and that ok dude has been in the league forever. Suns fans need to let Paul go. We need a young PG

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I wanna say he was like bottom of the league.

He’s just not that guy anymore and that ok dude has been in the league forever. Suns fans need to let Paul go. We need a young PG
I don't know. Every time I watched him this year, he looked pretty good in the 4th quarter. Saw him hitting his patented jumper. Maybe I just got "lucky" on the games I watched.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know. Every time I watched him this year, he looked pretty good in the 4th quarter. Saw him hitting his patented jumper. Maybe I just got "lucky" on the games I watched.

He just played 18 minutes had 3 points 2 assist

HES WASHED.