Draft - one week out - what do the Cardinals do with #4?

What do the Cards do with #4

• Keep - select other (specify in post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Trade out grab Odunze with another trade… But just be all lined up prior. Otherwise stick and pick MHJ.

Not saying you say this Shane, but, for those that say "MJH is only marginally better than Odunze, and therefore Odunze + pick #20 (or whatever) is greater than MJH",

I say: But I desperately want that small amount talent/ability/production that MJH gives vs. Odunze.

This is true because the line between winning and losing in the NFL is razor thin.

When there's a 1:30 left in the CCG, and it's 4th and seven for the cardinals, who are down by four, I don't want the ball thrown to a WR that is at the 93rd percentile of all WRs in the league.

I want the ball thrown to a WR who is at 98th percentile of all WRs in the league, because I think that could very well be the difference in winning or losing that game.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Not saying you say this Shane, but, for those that say "MJH is only marginally better than Odunze, and therefore Odunze + pick #20 (or whatever) is greater than MJH",

I say: But I desperately want that small amount talent/ability/production that MJH gives vs. Odunze.

This is true because the line between winning and losing in the NFL is razor thin.

When there's a 1:30 left in the CCG, and it's 4th and seven for the cardinals, who are down by four, I don't want the ball thrown to a WR that is at the 93rd percentile of all WRs in the league.

I want the ball thrown to a WR who is at 98th percentile of all WRs in the league, because I think that could very well be the difference in winning or losing that game.
I agree with this statement overall.

And I think with a top five pick, you're also looking at the face of your franchise.

JD Robertson

Registered
Reaction score
Stick and pick MHJ is what I want.

I would warm up to the Denver trade rumor (Surtain, 12 and 2025 1st - I personally would ask for their 3rd this year as well) if they have a trade back up and get Odunze already in the works.

Now if he could get trade back up with the Chargers and get MHJ along with Surtain, Monti just might need to go up on the Ring of Honor right there on draft night.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think MHJr is currently the pick which is what I selected.

However the Cardinals will take all the time on the Clock waiting to see if another team gets antsy and decides that they need to move up for their QB. It only happens if Monti gets 3 firsts and some day two picks. Not sure a team is willing to pay that much but you never know.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I want MHJ if he's there unless there's a trade to good to pass up, like to the Vikings for 11, 23, Jefferson and later and/or future picks.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My feeling is that Gannon wants Joe Alt. Build the trenches. Etc. I think Monti might prefer MHJ or another top WR. I don’t know which way we jump, but if I am calling a shot, I will say we trade down, back up and take Alt.
People disagreeing is fine. It isn’t what I want to happen. But this is how I think it goes.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but the thing is that the draft just isn't that exact of a science. MHJ may not end up being the best WR in the draft - he might have the highest chance in most people's evaluations, but it might end up being Odunze, Nabers, or someone else. That tiny incremental difference between MHJ and the next couple of guys isn't very predictive.

As noted in the article I posted recently, "year after year, results continue to show that picking 'your guy' is unreliable folly."

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The more I think about this draft it appears what the Patriots do will totally dictate the outcome of the draft for the Cardinals.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but the thing is that the draft just isn't that exact of a science. MHJ may not end up being the best WR in the draft - he might have the highest chance in most people's evaluations, but it might end up being Odunze, Nabers, or someone else. That tiny incremental difference between MHJ and the next couple of guys isn't very predictive.

As noted in the article I posted recently, "year after year, results continue to show that picking 'your guy' is unreliable folly."

Daves do you remember the playoff game against ATL, where Warner heaved one up to Fitz, and vs. suffocating double coverage Larry skyed up and snared the ball for a touchdown? And we went on to win that game.

How many humans on planet earth could have made that exact same play? One? I'm not sure more than one.

Of course I'm not saying MJH will be Fitz. But he might be Fitz. And when you have a chance for a player like that, you can't pass it up. Otherwise you might end up with Levi Brown instead of Adrian Peterson.

Please daves. Please man. Don't make us pick Levi Brown instead of Adrian Peterson again! j/k.. :) Hope you've been doing good and are excited for next Friday (Edit Thursday, duh!) !

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Daves do you remember the playoff game against ATL, where Warner heaved one up to Fitz, and vs. suffocating double coverage Larry skyed up and snared the ball for a touchdown? And we went on to win that game.

How many humans on planet earth could have made that exact same play? One? I'm not sure more than one.

Of course I'm not saying MJH will be Fitz. But he might be Fitz. And when you have a chance for a player like that, you can't pass it up. Otherwise you might end up with Levi Brown instead of Adrian Peterson.

Please daves. Please man. Don't make us pick Levi Brown instead of Adrian Peterson again! j/k.. :) Hope you've been doing good and are excited for next Friday!
Actually Odunze is likely better suited to make that play ;)

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I vote stick at #4, take MHJ.

During the entire pre-draft period, I don’t recall that the Cards FO did any interviews with the top QB candidates (someone please correct me if I am wrong). This goes along with the public pronouncements that they are going to stick with KM as their QB—they are going to stick with KM because they are stuck with KM and his huge guaranteed money/cap hit.

Now, if the Cards were considering trading down—I would think that they would do info gathering on the QBs. If you are going to demand a treasure chest of draft picks/players, you need to know just how good the QB candidate is. A team that sees a lot of value in a QB pick will likely offer more. A team like the Cards will have to have that same intel in order to leverage the best trade.

I read the tea leaves that the Cards are going to stay put at #4 and take their chosen best-player. At this high in the draft pick, I think the Cards should have at least considered a QBOTF to sit behind KM and replace him when he goes down with another injury or lays an egg during the season. Since they did not do the public pre-draft meetings with QB candidates, my guess is that it will be WR and not one of the top QB, most likely MHJ.

They still have plenty of picks in later rounds to stock the roster and instead go for a potential star with the this high pick.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I think they will trade with the Giants, and then draft Odunze at 6.
This is what my gut is telling me. Still get a high end talent and add more capital.

Big_Red_One

Rookie
Reaction score
Thinking Monti makes a trade. His openness to a trade has been transparent this entire off-season.

Clueless to how far back he may trade and how he values the various draft proposals being bantered about.

Two things are for certain this year, this draft will be unlike any in Cardinal history. Multiple possible trades options.....but most importantly someone is steering this ship who appears to know what he is doing.
Second - This board is going to be nuts no matter what happens!

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I vote stick at #4, take MHJ.

During the entire pre-draft period, I don’t recall that the Cards FO did any interviews with the top QB candidates (someone please correct me if I am wrong). This goes along with the public pronouncements that they are going to stick with KM as their QB—they are going to stick with KM because they are stuck with KM and his huge guaranteed money/cap hit.

Now, if the Cards were considering trading down—I would think that they would do info gathering on the QBs. If you are going to demand a treasure chest of draft picks/players, you need to know just how good the QB candidate is. A team that sees a lot of value in a QB pick will likely offer more. A team like the Cards will have to have that same intel in order to leverage the best trade.

I read the tea leaves that the Cards are going to stay put at #4 and take their chosen best-player. At this high in the draft pick, I think the Cards should have at least considered a QBOTF to sit behind KM and replace him when he goes down with another injury or lays an egg during the season. Since they did not do the public pre-draft meetings with QB candidates, my guess is that it will be WR and not one of the top QB, most likely MHJ.

They still have plenty of picks in later rounds to stock the roster and instead go for a potential star with the this high pick.

They are sticking with Kyler Murray because they like Kyler Murray.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn