Suns trade for Beal

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That doesn't happen without the Durant deal. I think the Durant deal happening or not happening the Suns would have had the same conclusion to last season, CP3 injury doomed the team from going forward in the playoffs. There's no way Bridges and Cam Johnson bridge the gap enough to have a different result. At the end of the day, I think KD and Beal > Bridges and Cam Johnson. That's just my opinion.

Don't take away my twins.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like you said, they would have been in position to make trades. I think that would have STILL lead to the KD trade, just later. It's evident that the owner and GM wanted it done. It was just a matter of timing. Arguably, who that summer would have been better than KD in a trade?

I'd have to know all the trades on the table. Bottom line, I wouldn't have included Bridges in a trade for Durant. We are not talking about Kevin Durant in his youth without injuries.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like you said, they would have been in position to make trades. I think that would have STILL lead to the KD trade, just later. It's evident that the owner and GM wanted it done. It was just a matter of timing. Arguably, who that summer would have been better than KD in a trade?

Lillard is on the block. I'd put him at the same level as KD now considering their present ages. The level of player Lillard is now and will likely be in 2-3 years is higher than KD.

I know he's said he only wants to go to Miami but this team would look quite different and have different assets to trade. The team most likely to land Lillard outside of Miami has been Brooklyn due to the war chest we gave them so it's certainly possible we could have swung a deal for him.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Lillard is on the block. I'd put him at the same level as KD now considering their present ages. The level of player Lillard is now and will likely be in 2-3 years is higher than KD.

I know he's said he only wants to go to Miami but this team would look quite different and have different assets to trade. The team most likely to land Lillard outside of Miami has been Brooklyn due to the war chest we gave them so it's certainly possible we could have swung a deal for him.
I got that. However KD wanted to come HERE! No idea if Lillard would have wanted that. Like you said, both guys similar, but KD made us his Miami. He wanted to come here, and we wanted him. Those things rarely align with players on that level and a certain team.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This is the perfect team for KD. He’s surrounded by shooters and will always be on the court with at least one other guy that can create offense. I’d like to think of us a poor man’s KD Warriors minus the elite defensive juggernaut in Draymond. We got better depth and coaching now.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I got that. However KD wanted to come HERE! No idea if Lillard would have wanted that. Like you said, both guys similar, but KD made us his Miami. He wanted to come here, and we wanted him. Those things rarely align with players on that level and a certain team.

It really doesn't matter since he didn't have a no trade clause, neither does Lillard. We aren't cellar dwellers so whoever we trade for will play here. They aren't going go sit out and pout because we weren't their #1 choice.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I believe KD is a better fit for our needs and I also think he's a better draw for recruiting around him. Lillard hasn't been the injury risk that Durant is but even so I have doubts that he will outlast KD by much if at all. We overpaid for Durant but I think I'd rather overpay for him than overpay for a 33 year old Lillard.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without getting into all the details, it's amazing how the Suns turned Chris Paul into Bradley Beal and how the Wizards turned Paul into Jordan Poole.

On the surface, I would have been skeptical how little it took to get both trades done.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Without getting into all the details, it's amazing how the Suns turned Chris Paul into Bradley Beal and how the Wizards turned Paul into Jordan Poole.

On the surface, I would have been skeptical how little it took to get both trades done.
The fear is what does GS turn CP3 into in a trade? I still think he makes it to LA somehow.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fear is what does GS turn CP3 into in a trade? I still think he makes it to LA somehow.

It would be kind of funny if he were traded for D'Lo.

I don't see Paul going anywhere. If it doesn't work, he'll be bought out and sign with one of the LA teams as a free agent.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the team we had before the KD trade had a chance to win it all.
This seems like revisionist history. You said multiple times last season that you didn’t think last year’s team pre-trade had a chance to win the title and even agreed post-trade that we still didn’t have a chance but at least had a slightly better chance that season but would pay for it moving forward.
Not a good chance, but a chance. I'm not sure about our current team but on paper, we look to be much better than last season before and after the trade.
Fair.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Each season in the playoffs being 1 playoff trip. The Finals run was the first experience anyone other Paul and Crowder had. Yes, they disappointed against Dallas after starting the series hot but that happens. Nothing says the door was slammed shut at that point.
“But that happens.” The whitewashing of two back to back 2-0 collapses, in two series where we were favored in both, continues.

We lost a Game 7 at home by the biggest deficit in NBA History. “But that happens.”

We were one of four teams, to lose back to back 2-0 playoff series in the HISTORY OF THE LEAGUE. “But that happens.”

We were also only 1 of 2 64+ win teams to lose in the playoffs without at least getting to the WCF. “But that happens.”

Truth is, with those two playoff years combined, we proved ourselves to be HISTORICAL playoff choke-artists.

THAT HAPPENED.

And this season, we had only gotten worse with CP3 falling off a cliff, robbing the team of a needed multi-dimensional superstar title contending teams need to actually contend for a title.
People said the Warriors window was closed when KD left, when Klay couldn't get healthy, and they won last last year after spending time in the lottery.
No they didn’t. Everyone was talking about the Warriors reloading with young talent, finding Poole and being ready to contend again the summer they missed out in the play-in tournament.

And then with Klay still out to begin the season, the scorched the courts without him the first two months until Curry got injured.

Also, you mention that their core had previously won a title together pre-KD as if that was nothing to prove that their situation wasn’t much different from the 2 time choke artist Suns last year. But that’s a laugh.
They'd won before, so knew what it took to get back there but without a major acquisition they were counted out by a lot of people. It takes luck as well as talent to win championships and the team we had was talented, regardless of Paul regressing. We saw he could also be dealt for something of value as he was moved twice, for Beal and for Poole.
The only reason we could move him for Beal was because Beal forced his way here. Man, you are playing so loose with the facts.

And sure... had we not made the trade, maybe CP3 could have been turned for a terrible contract and flawed but talented player like Poole, but do you really think a Poole/Booker/Bridges/Cam/Johnson/Ayton team, that would have been maxed out of adding more pieces. Or do you think good players would have still been coming here on bottom-barrell contracts WITHOUT the type of generational player magnet 1-2 punch of Booker/KD? If you do, I've got some oceanfront property to sell you in Yuma.

In order to ever get back to a Finals contender, the core was going to HAVE to be broken up because building around a Booker/Bridges 1/2 punch was not going to create a title contender.
There's far too many variables to say the window was closed on a team with 4 of its 5 best players 25 or younger.
Disagree because so many of your variables are built on so many false premises.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the Suns team had an excellent base before they traded for Kevin Durant.

They had all their draft picks and expiring contracts as well to improve the team.

The Suns didn't have to stay stagnant. They could have kept their core and moved on from Chris Paul.

Where the Suns drew aces, is the timing of the Wizards rebuild and Bradley Beal choosing to come to the Suns.
I’ll admit, had none of the deals been made, sending Paul and a bunch of picks (likely all our future picks and swaps) for lilliard would have been interesting. But I don’t know if we could’ve got that deal closed without including bridges or cam johnsin

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll admit, had none of the deals been made, sending Paul and a bunch of picks (likely all our future picks and swaps) for lilliard would have been interesting. But I don’t know if we could’ve got that deal closed without including bridges or cam johnsin
I think it would have taken every bit as much as we spent on KD. The main reason I've argued against the price we paid for Durant is his injury history and the likelihood more injuries will follow. When healthy, KD is still the more impactful player of the two but you have a more reasonable chance to get 3 or 4 effective years out of Lillard.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wouldn’t have. The Blazers are going to wants picks AND a young rising star.

Anyone thinking we could have just added to our core for a generational type talent to get us back to legit title contention without actually breaking that core up is lying to themselves.

And we would have become desperate to make a deal after another playoff failure with the knowledge that CP3 was completely washed.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So as bad as some people feel we overpaid for KD, then they have to be honest and admit we underpaid for Beal.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So as bad as some people feel we overpaid for KD, then they have to be honest and admit we underpaid for Beal.
If he stays healthy it was a huge steal for us. And it could end up negating much of what we gave away for KD if Beal can play at a high level for another 4 or 5 years.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

But if we traded the same players/picks for lilliard and still landed Beal this team wouldn’t have been as good as it is with Durant. A Booker/lilliard/Beal big 3 just isn’t likely winning anything.

Also, I think Durant is a better all around player than lilliard is at present. I doubt any nba professional would argue that point.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But if we traded the same players/picks for lilliard and still landed Beal this team wouldn’t have been as good as it is with Durant. A Booker/lilliard/Beal big 3 just isn’t likely winning anything.

Also, I think Durant is a better all around player than lilliard is at present. I doubt any nba professional would argue that point.
Agreed and I just don't believe that Beal would have forced himself to Phoenix if KD wasn't here.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Extra shot blocking ability on defense, and able to get rebounds when Ayton runs out to the three point line, are two areas just defensively where he is better for us than Lillard.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I believe KD is a better fit for our needs and I also think he's a better draw for recruiting around him. Lillard hasn't been the injury risk that Durant is but even so I have doubts that he will outlast KD by much if at all. We overpaid for Durant but I think I'd rather overpay for him than overpay for a 33 year old Lillard.
Agreed. We have also never seen all stars clamoring to play with Lilliard the way we have with durant. We have seen curry, klay, draymond want him. We’ve seen kyrie and harden and book and Beal want to play with him. Who have we heard wanting to play with lilliard? Bam? Jimmy?

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There is no question the Suns underpaid for Beal.

Of course, there are the usual caveats about injury, but this trade greatly reduced the combined cost of assets in both trades.

It's almost like the second trade balanced the Durant trade.

Without the trade for Beal, the Suns would have been in a very precarious position going forward. It helped lead to a landslide of free agency success.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maksince98