Suns @ Warriors Tuesday game thread, 10-24-2023 - SEASON OPENER

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
sure we have a lot of firepower but defense is how you beat the warriors - lots of extremely communicative team defense - because 3 tenths of a second is the difference between a clean look and a contested shot

but if it ends up being a 3 point shootout so be it - everyone of our starting 5 can hit the deep ball and that's not even counting Gordon or Yuta or Goodwin - a long distance contest doesn't scare me

one thing's for sure tho - Klay Thompson still hates Devin Booker for the disrespect Booker bestowed upon thee - Klay will probably come out hot and then sink back into mediocrity as the game winds on but make no mistake - this is going to be playoff intensity basketball - and I'm so glad it'll actually be 5 on 5

The Book/Klay stuff isn’t personal like it is with Luka/Paul G. Draymond is injured.

Is this year year Kuminga finally makes the leap? @Russ Smith

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Book/Klay stuff isn’t personal like it is with Luka/Paul G. Draymond is injured.

Agreed. The Klay stuff with Booker is far more about Klay having some really bad games. He gets in his own head when he is struggling in a strange self conscious way. Booker isn't the only player he did the "four fingers" thing for last year, it basically was his go to move any time someone started trash talking him during a bad game.

Meanwhile, Booker and Luka openly despise each other.

That is probably the only thing that makes me feel better about drafting Ayton.

If we'd taken Luka, he probably would have driven Booker out of town, we'd basically be what Dallas is now. I don't think dudes enjoy playing with Luka. Kyrie would have bailed if anyone else wanted him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Both Kuminga and Moody have had excellent preseasons, better shot selection and both are nailing the 3's at a high rate. Kuminga is also rebounding better they mad that a priority for him. Kuminga led the NBA in scoring in preseason and not just against backups, but still how that translates to real games is anybodys guess.

With Draymond missing the whole preseason I expect a slow start, the Spurs had something like 45 in the first quarter against them. With Booker, Beal and Durant and either no Draymond or a not in shape Draymond I expect lots of issues on defense.

Saric has been a nice pickup he fits the Warriors offense perfectly, I hate CP3 but he's definitely going to help, until he gets inevitably hurt. I also really like the rookies Brandin P(unspellable last name) and Jackson-Davis. I think the Suns will be the better team for the Warriors IMO the keys are Wiggins and Klay. Everyone says Klay is in better shape, he looks good, Wiggins he just doesn't seem to be the same guy since he came back. I don't know what his personal issues were, his dad or whatever I don't know but he doesn't seem to play as hard now as he was before.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
They’ve already won a title with Draymond as a Center.

And they can always bring in Looney… who they also won a title with as a Center.
He played C at times, but he wasn't the starting C. For the most part they always had another big starting and would use Draymond at C for stretches in certain lineups.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevon Looney does a good job at center for the Warriors as well.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Agreed. The Klay stuff with Booker is far more about Klay having some really bad games. He gets in his own head when he is struggling in a strange self conscious way. Booker isn't the only player he did the "four fingers" thing for last year, it basically was his go to move any time someone started trash talking him during a bad game.

Meanwhile, Booker and Luka openly despise each other.

That is probably the only thing that makes me feel better about drafting Ayton.

If we'd taken Luka, he probably would have driven Booker out of town, we'd basically be what Dallas is now. I don't think dudes enjoy playing with Luka. Kyrie would have bailed if anyone else wanted him.

In a vacuum I think the Luka/Book fit would’ve worked but that’s not taking into account coaching and the rest of the roster. If we still took Bridges and ended up trading for someone like Capela that would’ve been a great team within 2-3 years. Luka was first team all-NBA by year two and Book was entering his 5th season by then. Igor just isn’t a HC so it would’ve been tricky. At the end of the day you don’t overthink it and take the superstar.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In a vacuum I think the Luka/Book fit would’ve worked but that’s not taking into account coaching and the rest of the roster. If we still took Bridges and ended up trading for someone like Capela that would’ve been a great team within 2-3 years. Luka was first team all-NBA by year two and Book was entering his 5th season by then. Igor just isn’t a HC so it would’ve been tricky. At the end of the day you don’t overthink it and take the superstar.

I think they just end up hating each other. Luka is a pretty trash teammate from what I've seen and I don't think Booker would have taken his nonsense very well.

I don't think it's a mystery why Dallas had to settle for Kyrie as Luka's "second star". You don't see anyone talking about joining up with Luka. Pretty much all the other big stars flirt with other stars, kicking around the idea of joining up... no one is talking about joining Luka in Dallas.

I think he and Kyrie are going to openly dislike each other by the end of this season.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I think they just end up hating each other. Luka is a pretty trash teammate from what I've seen and I don't think Booker would have taken his nonsense very well.

I don't think it's a mystery why Dallas had to settle for Kyrie as Luka's "second star". You don't see anyone talking about joining up with Luka. Pretty much all the other big stars flirt with other stars, kicking around the idea of joining up... no one is talking about joining Luka in Dallas.

I think he and Kyrie are going to openly dislike each other by the end of this season.
Luka is the James Harden of his generation. He'll have a career full of empty stat stuffing and possibly even a meaningless MVP award... until he gets old enough that his inability to keep himself in condition and/or injuries catch up with him and no one will touch his by then outlandish contract with a ten foot pole.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m too much of a Scorcese simp not to go see it in the theater ASAP.

I get it he is Hollywood. The gritty real life stuff will I will never like.

My movies are Angels, Demons, Superheroes, Hobbits, Magicians, Super Spies, Space Travellers, Mecha Robots, pulp Archeologists and the good guys always win.

I need escapism and not a reminder of how awful the world is

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get it he is Hollywood. The gritty real life stuff will I will never like.

My movies are Angels, Demons, Superheroes, Hobbits, Magicians, Super Spies, Space Travellers, Mecha Robots, pulp Archeologists and the good guys always win.

I need escapism and not a reminder of how awful the world is

I should add unlikely pairings. That covers a wide variety of comedy and romance duos

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Switched tomorrow night’s Flower Moon movie night to tonight so I’ll be here, ready to annoy all of you when the Suns tip off against the Warriors in, what hopefully will be a season for the ages!

Get ready to be shocked… I think we lose.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Draymond Green is out Tuesday, per Steve Kerr.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve Kerr reflects on Kevin Durant.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frank Vogel is hopeful Devin Booker and Bradley Beal play tomorrow.

I didn't realize there was a question about it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen