USC/UCLA leaving Pac12 for Big10?

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
On another note. ACC is the next potential PAC 12. Might take a few years.... or never.

In the end it'll likely be a who survives 2 out of 3 between big 10, big 12, and sec. 2x24, 2x28 league?

Now if big 12 can work some magic, lure FSU, Clemson, and who knows....

After that maybe they can lure some of those that left a&m, ut, ou, Missouri back. They showed they're willing to take Colorado back.

Be one helluva conference, but this is wild speculation of 10-15 years from now.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
On another note. ACC is the next potential PAC 12. Might take a few years.... or never.

In the end it'll likely be a who survives 2 out of 3 between big 10, big 12, and sec. 2x24, 2x28 league?

Now if big 12 can work some magic, lure FSU, Clemson, and who knows....

After that maybe they can lure some of those that left a&m, ut, ou, Missouri back. They showed they're willing to take Colorado back.

Be one helluva conference, but this is wild speculation of 10-15 years from now.
I would 100% wager we are going to eventually end up with two regional conferences, based in the east and west, and the national title will be decided between the winners of each... pretty much like every other major sport in the US. All of this current conference realignment is just a precursor to that. My guess is within 10 years at the outside.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Michael Crow had full say, I am believing ASU would not be in the Big-12 after watching this video.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Michael Crow had full say, I am believing ASU would not be in the Big-12 after watching this video.

The whole video is below. It's not as bad as that clip. His line about the Ivy League not accepting ASU got a chuckle out of me. He also said thst ASU and UofA had made a pact to stick together when things began to destabilize in the PAC. It's clear that as a President who values academics and tradition he is not happy with how media corporations are controlling and shaping college athletic conferences.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I think the apple deal is the future, but it would not have worked with the PAC. Technology will definitely transform how we view sports. Will be interesting to see how the media deals look in 2030
It was weird that he was taking about aspects of digital being innovative, when they is the current for the major programs now

You can watch games off the cable/satellite feed, or off the affiliated streaming service or rewatch then later

With the right technology, you can also cut up the programming, etc.

They also have reach well beyond apple and the disaster of the PAC Network shows that people aren't generally going to drive their overall entertainment on just the PAC or that it is ag huge draw

They could have trial ballooned by making the network available but itself in a streaming package - but they didn't

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the apple deal is the future, but it would not have worked with the PAC. Technology will definitely transform how we view sports. Will be interesting to see how the media deals look in 2030

Next time around Apple, Amazon, or Google is going to scoop up one of these consolidated conferences with a massive cash offer. Too early this time.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Next time around Apple, Amazon, or Google is going to scoop up one of these consolidated conferences with a massive cash offer. Too early this time.

Or they'll just buy ESPN/Fox.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I’m down, but this is all going to feel irrelevant soon. As much as I want to feel like ASU is going to compete with Oklahoma State, who for some reason I see as our comp, the more I feel like we are going to get beat into convincing ourselves that we are the new Stanford. Which might not work at all because they are really good at what they do and probably don’t really give a crap about any of this. More or less. They have bigger fish to fry.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I’m also going to go against the grain and defend Michael Crow. First, because it worked out. And second because he is by far, by miles, the best president ASU has ever had.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The above video of Michael Crow paints a different picture of a president being stubborn.

He really wanted to keep the Pac 12 together and made a strong effort to do so until it became obvious there was no longer any other choice than to join the Big 12.

Also interesting that ASU and Arizona presidents were in constant communication and had made a pact to stick together.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Crow’s discussion of “Apple Corporation” and its “technological 23rd century Star Trek-thing” was cringey. I do give some credit for trying to preserve the conference at the end, but I give him far more blame for destroying it, along with Larry Scott.

We’ll move on, having dodged a bullet for now, and hopefully Crow will learn how to wear a cap. :)

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m also going to go against the grain and defend Michael Crow. First, because it worked out. And second because he is by far, by miles, the best president ASU has ever had.

It's an interesting thought experiment to consider how different the state of Arizona would be had UofA and ASU never joined the PAC. Both universities and the population they served benefitted immensely from the academic association and research sharing with the conference.

Universities have missions based on their surrounding population and economies. UofA and ASU have played a huge role in the growth of the Arizona economy and their decades long association with top tier academic and research schools in the PAC was a factor.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not critical on Crow either as you have to give him credit for trying to keep the PAC 12 together. I am happy that ASU will be in the Big 12. I think it will be much more exciting long range. More natural rivalries from a regional perspective.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It's an interesting thought experiment to consider how different the state of Arizona would be had UofA and ASU never joined the PAC. Both universities and the population they served benefitted immensely from the academic association and research sharing with the conference.

Universities have missions based on their surrounding population and economies. UofA and ASU have played a huge role in the growth of the Arizona economy and their decades long association with top tier academic and research schools in the PAC was a factor.
This is 1000% true. Big-time sports attracts students including out of state ones which stay here after they graduate. Definitely helping said growth, any of us who went to one of the state schools I’m sure knows several Midwesterner’s who came to the AZ as 18 year old’s and never left. On other hand of the Arizonans I know who went to Big 10 schools exactly zero of them long-term stayed in the Midwest.

It’s crazy to say but getting into Alabama right now is insanely difficult. It was similar at Florida State in the 90’s. Simply because they get thousands of applications from affluent northeast and California kids wanting to go there. Wonder if it’s the natural beauty of Tuscaloosa or Tallahassee or something else? We needed to stay up. Schools like ASU and UofA just aren’t good enough academically to get students playing against UNLV and New Mexico.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
And to reiterate - caving to the CA schools and not absorbing the best of the Big 12 two years ago when UT/OU left was when the die was actually cast. Yes Larry Scott, Directv, ten years of mediocre football play by USC, etc started the process but none of that matters if they had simply absorbed 3-4 Big 12 programs or merged.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not critical on Crow either as you have to give him credit for trying to keep the PAC 12 together. I am happy that ASU will be in the Big 12. I think it will be much more exciting long range. More natural rivalries from a regional perspective.
Especially when you consider the LA schools were already gone. I wanted the PAC to survive but moving with the 4 corner schools + BYU preserves some regionality and rivalries.