Darius Robinson injured

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
And F/W/I/W, our poor defense, according to Google, gave up 26 PPG last year.
I have always operated under the belief that if your offense was better, your defense wouldn’t be on the field as much and therefore not giving up as many points.

If we can have long sustained drives, our defensive numbers will be better. Add a few better pieces at CB, ILB and DL, I think we can get to the 20-22 range.

All of this is based on certain players staying healthy because I do not feel we are truly deep with NFL talent on either side of the ball.

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
As you mentioned, last season was a complete reset and because of that the defense has zero depth to start the season. So once injuries started piling up last season the wheels really started to fall off on the defense side of the ball.

I think the big difference this season is that the depth is much improved on the defensive side of the ball across the board. Yes CB is still a question mark but I like it much better than what they had last season. Edge is the one position where there are still huge question marks. Monti still hasn't found an adequate replacement for BJ and that is very concerning. I like the potential of Thomas but I really don't want to have to rely on an unproven rookie to fill that role.
MCD, why do you feel the defense has improved depth? I still think we replaced non-starters with non-starter quality players.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think the big difference this season is that the depth is much improved on the defensive side of the ball across the board.
Is it tho?

I mean, people have hope for Rabbit from PS games (which we also all agree don't matter), but he reportedly sucked in training camp. We still have two backup safeties from last year.

Are we better/deeper at ILB? Mack Wilson played more than 28 defensive snaps in one game for the Pats last year.

Are we better/deeper on DL? The starters are better, but we're a high ankle strain away from seeing more snaps of Roy Lopez than anyone should want.

We have the same jamokes at EDGE, with a clear downgrade from Beej to X Thomas.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is an actual truth.

Daniel Hunter signed a 2 year contract.

Marcus Davenport signed a 1 year contract.

Chase Young signed a 1 year contract.

Bryce Huff signed a 3 year contract.

Dorance Armstrong signed a 3 year deal.

Leonard Floyd a 2 year deal.

Yetur Gross-Matos signed a 2 year deal.

None of these contracts were cost prohibitive in either the short or long term. Monti crapped the bed when it came to EDGE this off-season.

EDIT: Would I be surprised if there was a spending limit put on Monti? No, but I also don't really care. He took the job. It is on him to figure it out.
You mean like a Salary CAP?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don’t want the Jordan Philips of EDGE rushers on this team. Whether a short or long term contract. Those names are #KeimTeim signings.
Ok - so you'd rather have none of them, even if it doesn't affect future flexibility, and none of them even have the potential to improve our room this year. Cool.

Can we also PLEASE stop calling anything you don't like a Keim move? It's been used and abused so much at this point to lose all meaning.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok - so you'd rather have none of them, even if it doesn't affect future flexibility, and none of them even have the potential to improve our room this year. Cool
Correct.
Can we also PLEASE stop calling anything you don't like a Keim move? It's been used and abused so much at this point to lose all meaning.
Glad you asked nicely, but nah, I will continue to.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two guys I wouldn't mind us taking a look at via trade:

2. Azeez Ojulari (BJ's older brother) - Giants - His numbers have gone down in each of his first 3 seasons as he's battled injuries, but still has 16 sacks in his first 3 years (half of which as a rookie when healthy all year).
I certainly wouldn’t trade draft capitol for another Ojulari….. So far being perpetually injured seems to be in their genes at this point.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You mean like a Salary CAP?
This is either a disingenuous comment or an ignorant comment. You tell me which. Either you aren't aware we are (and have been) 30+ mil under the cap this year and like 80+ mil under next year or you are trolling.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don’t want the Jordan Philips of EDGE rushers on this team. Whether a short or long term contract. Those names are #KeimTeim signings.
Keim signings were multi year contracts to overpriced vets who got in the way of young player development. This is none of those things.

(also let's not forget how Keim liked to spread cap hits over multiple years which consistently led to dead cap space but that had nothing to do with the player)

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky