2024 3rd round pick #66 is Trey Benson RB

HammerCards

Veteran
Reaction score
Generally 30 is when RBs start to decline. So I think it's a good call by the Cardinals to start considering options for the future.
Is it an age thing or rush attempts thing? I know the general consensus is 30, but curious to know if there is a correlation between rush attempts (college/pro) with RBs that hit 30 and fall off. If so, where does Connor relate in terms of rushes?

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You say that and yet Zeke had more receptions than anyone else on the patriots last year, on top of being their leading rusher.
3.8 ypc in 2022, and 3.5 last year with the Pats. Any ham & egger on any team's practice squad should be able to beat those numbers. And this year he looks fatter and slower - like an old O-lineman with arthritic knees.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Easy to overreact. We just did it with Marv.

However, my eye test tells me Michael Carter should be getting the carries he's getting.

Stay healthy James.
At first glance.
But Petzing isn't calling the same plays for Benson that he's calling for JC...he'll that one at the beginning of the 4th had zero chance, I was actually surprised he got back to the LoS ...
We would see better results from the kid if he was getting the same quick hitting A gap Blast type runs that JC gets half the time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

However, my eye test tells me Michael Carter should be getting the carries he's getting.

Stay healthy James.

Too early but he wasn't good today, danced too much.

We're not using him in the pass game yet he's really good at that.

But certainly not the first rookie RB that needs to learn to run decisively.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Stay healthy James.

I mean, and we all watched Demercado have a pretty nice year last year, albeit with fairly limited number of attempts.

And then he comes in and breaks off a 41 yarder? When Benson is struggling to get four yards a carry against the same tired rams defense? It's too bad Emari doesn't have the pedigree that Benson does or we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation.

I agree with you, let's not overreact, but we need to manage JC's workload, and that makes the RB2 spot really, really important.

T. Benson needs to show some burst and some YAC in the next couple of games or I think he needs to start splitting carries with Carter or Demercado.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I mean, and we all watched Demercado have a pretty nice year last year, albeit with fairly limited number of attempts.

And then he comes in and breaks off a 41 yarder? When Benson is struggling to get four yards a carry against the same tired rams defense? It's too bad Emari doesn't have the pedigree that Benson does or we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation.

I agree with you, let's not overreact, but we need to manage JC's workload, and that makes the RB2 spot really, really important.

T. Benson needs to show some burst and some YAC in the next couple of games or I think he needs to start splitting carries with Carter or Demercado.
Carter needs to be that change of pace guy especially in the second half of a game. His vision is excellent and his NFL experience is priceless. I want him on the field:)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's a rookie RB it's not a huge surprise given he signed late too. I thought he was pretty good week 1 but not so much week 2. I like DeMercado have said that several times, his ceiling is much lower than Benson's but he's consistent. If it continues it wouldn't be a shock to see more of DeMercado but I'm assuming that Benson will figure it out.

Has to be more decisive, don't look for the home run every carry. There was one carry yesterday where he was dancing and as he walked back to the huddle you could see Kyler tell him what he did wrong.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He's a rookie RB it's not a huge surprise given he signed late too. I thought he was pretty good week 1 but not so much week 2. I like DeMercado have said that several times, his ceiling is much lower than Benson's but he's consistent. If it continues it wouldn't be a shock to see more of DeMercado but I'm assuming that Benson will figure it out.

Has to be more decisive, don't look for the home run every carry. There was one carry yesterday where he was dancing and as he walked back to the huddle you could see Kyler tell him what he did wrong.

One thing seems undeniable. There is TWITCH and EXPLOSION.

It has to be harnessed to be used effectively. This is a teaching and experience issue (IMO).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing seems undeniable. There is TWITCH and EXPLOSION.

It has to be harnessed to be used effectively. This is a teaching and experience issue (IMO).

Yeah I love Benson he was my favorite RB in this draft, said so several times. But he's clearly not ready to be the guy yet so there's no rush. Yesterday was a step back for him, hopefully he learns from it.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Carter needs to be that change of pace guy especially in the second half of a game. His vision is excellent and his NFL experience is priceless. I want him on the field:)
Is this the running back Carter that I thought we let go you're talking about? Or another Carter?

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Thomas Jones danced too much when he was here…
What do you disagree with, @kerouac9

You dont remember people on here ans AZcentral crying about TJ dancing behind the o-line instead of hitting the hole hard when he was here? Well he unlearned that trait in Chicago and the rest is history.