10 thoughts - Commanders game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – So, let’s talk about the upcoming draft…

2 – About those bad gameplans, allow me to use the words of Ian Fleming in Goldfinger: “Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, the third time it’s enemy action.” Your move, Mr. Petzing.

3 – Cardinals are the only team to score touchdowns on all four opening drives.

4 – It’s certainly annoying when free agency signings don’t turn out well right away, but it really isn’t that big of a loss with Justin Jones. Dante Stills and L.J. Collier are playing better anyway.

5 – Fantastic interception by Garrett Williams.

6 – The Cards’ offensive line is built for the run game. Exhibit A: the Cards’ offensive line in pass protection.

7 – Kingsbury have always been an effective offensive coordinator. Not so good as a head coach, but an impressive playcaller.

8 – I am certainly not in a position to complain about season ticket holders, since I am obviously not one myself. I was just wondering if people treat season tickets as a business model? Buying them with the knowledge that they can be sold for more. It is not a bad strategy. Buy high, sell higher. Unsympathetic, sure. Disloyal, check. But definitely profitable.

9 – This was the first time ever that I truly considered the option of moving on from Murray.

10 – Jonah, Jonah, where are you? Beachum is a huge liability.

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#9. It’s time to stop thinking that Kyler is a top 5 qb. We can’t move on from him for obvious reasons. So now what?
First no more weapons for Kyler. He has enough to be adequate.
Build a defense with every draft pick and penny in free agency available. Take the onus off Kyler to just manage the game and play ultra conservative.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
#9. It’s time to stop thinking that Kyler is a top 5 qb. We can’t move on from him for obvious reasons. So now what?
Yeah, top five is not even close. Before the season, I thought he could be top 10, but even that looks unrealistic. If he could consistently play as he did against the Rams, then he would step up among the best, but his unstable play prevents it.

Why can’t they move on from him? I mean, not now, but after the season? If they were to trade him, the cap hit would be 33 million, but they would save 12 million in cash. The last number is the relevant one (lex Bidwill). Team takes on big cap hits all the time, and with the progress for the cap, that is not an issue at all. If he is on the roster next march, he would be owed almost 37 million of guaranteed money in 2026, but if he was to be traded, the buying team would owe him nothing after 2025.

Build a defense with every draft pick and penny in free agency available. Take the onus off Kyler to just manage the game and play ultra conservative.
Yes, I sort of agree, but it just isn’t the way to have success nowadays. You need a competent quarterback.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
#7- we’ll see. KK has usually gotten off to good starts but will likely fade horrifically down the stretch if history holds.
Well, I mentioned that he was not a good head coach because I think he had trouble keeping the motivation high enough for the entire team for a full season. Now he only needs to focus on the offense.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, top five is not even close. Before the season, I thought he could be top 10, but even that looks unrealistic. If he could consistently play as he did against the Rams, then he would step up among the best, but his unstable play prevents it.

Why can’t they move on from him? I mean, not now, but after the season? If they were to trade him, the cap hit would be 33 million, but they would save 12 million in cash. The last number is the relevant one (lex Bidwill). Team takes on big cap hits all the time, and with the progress for the cap, that is not an issue at all. If he is on the roster next march, he would be owed almost 37 million of guaranteed money in 2026, but if he was to be traded, the buying team would owe him nothing after 2025.
Because if you dump him at the end of the year we would destroy our cap space and prevent building the defense. Can we really think of eating the cap space and drafting a qb with our first pick with an a below average roster?
Yes, I sort of agree, but it just isn’t the way to have success nowadays. You need a competent quarterback.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Because if you dump him at the end of the year we would destroy our cap space and prevent building the defense. Can we really think of eating the cap space and drafting a qb with our first pick with an a below average roster?
There is way too much focus on the salary cap among fans. As I wrote, it really doesn’t matter that much.

For sure you can insert a quarterback and quickly get results. You could easily argue that Washington has a worse roster than the Cards, but when they plugged in Daniels, it changed a lot. The same when the Chargers inserted Justin Herbert or when Buffalo put Josh Allen at quarterback. You could also point to Joe Burrow and Tua Tagovailoa as rookies that have significantly improved the play and hope of their teams. Even Marcus Mariota with the Titans (before it went bad with him), or going further back, Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III brought immediate turnarounds for the Colts and Redskins who certainly didn’t have better squads than the Cards have now.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is way too much focus on the salary cap among fans. As I wrote, it really doesn’t matter that much.

For sure you can insert a quarterback and quickly get results. You could easily argue that Washington has a worse roster than the Cards, but when they plugged in Daniels, it changed a lot. The same when the Chargers inserted Justin Herbert or when Buffalo put Josh Allen at quarterback. You could also point to Joe Burrow and Tua Tagovailoa as rookies that have significantly improved the play and hope of their teams. Even Marcus Mariota with the Titans (before it went bad with him), or going further back, Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III brought immediate turnarounds for the Colts and Redskins who certainly didn’t have better squads than the Cards have now.
I guess my thought is this defense is so depleted that I don’t think we can use a #1 pick for a qb until we stack this defense.

I get your view about cap space and WE get it, but Bidwill won’t. So on that belief Kyler will be back in 2025. Kyler has enough weapons to make this offense good. All we heard was how this offense was going to surprise people. McBride, MHJ, Wilson, Connor, Dortch appear to supply Kyler with an adequate amount of weapons.

there have been many “reasons” for Kyler’s shortcomings, many I have supported.
Kliff, I believed he was the problem.
Lack of weapons. I thought so too.
Coming off injury. Yep
Only 1/2 season with new offense. Yep

2024. No more excuses. Fully recovered and a whole off season to absorb this offense. Improved weapons. Bottom line Kyler cannot carry this team on a consistent basis. His best games are when we are running the ball for 200 yards. Stop our running game and we’re done.

So that’s how we need this offense to function. Run the ball and if we can’t then we lose. We held the Lions to 20 points and lost. Why? Because we couldn’t run the ball and Kyler simply can’t rise above it.

Kyler’s here now and will be in 2025 so what do we need to do to compete. Adding an o-lineman is not going to do it. Building a rock solid defense might.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I get your view about cap space and WE get it, but Bidwill won’t. So on that belief Kyler will be back in 2025.
I completely agree with your thoughts on Bidwill, but the point is that he would actually save money, if Murray was traded before next season. It would affect the salary cap negatively, but it would cost Bidwill about 12 million less than if they keep Murray.

2024. No more excuses. Fully recovered and a whole off season to absorb this offense. Improved weapons.
That is exactly where I am as well. This is the season for Murray, and after the Rams game I really thought that he had stepped up, and that now he would flourish in this system, but then came the last two games. I guess he can still get it turned around this season, but to me, it is a major disappointment that he has returned to making many of the same mistakes that he have done for years.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess he can still get it turned around this season, but to me, it is a major disappointment that he has returned to making many of the same mistakes that he have done for years.
So hoping to see him get some consistency

I'm pulling for him, but the like you said the old habits are creeping back

A big game from him this week against the Niners will help

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To me the game was lost right before the half. We were down 7 and had a nice drive going with JC running well and a real nice completion to Wilson on the sideline. Fourth and one at the Washington 36 Yd line and we take a sack! Took us out of FG range and killed a promising drive. With little time left Washington was able to drive down the field for a FG. So 17-7 At the half rather then 14-10 or better. Wash scores on first drive of second half and game was over.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Cap space moving on from Murray won’t be an issue. Monti will still be able to sign backup, bottom rung players and make them starters.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake