10 thoughts - Lions game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Congratulation to @THESMEL who are on his way home with his new family! Best wishes your way, Sir.

----------------------

1 – The offense goes as much through James Connor as it does through Kyler Murray. Petzing’s gameplan doesn’t work when the running game doesn’t work.

2 – Detroit owned the trenches.

3 – I was very high on Dante Stills after last season, so I was surprised that he was a healthy scratch last week. This week he played close to half the snaps, had a sack and a huge 4th down stop. Guess he plays next week.

4 – Kyler Murray tried to do waaaay to much.

5 – It didn’t matter much that Beachum was out. He is not the same player as he once was, and Jackson Barton played well.

6 – Cards were one of nine on 3rd down, Lions won the field position battle, and Lions won the turnover battle (I include botched 4th downs). A bit difficult to overcome that.

7 – I got several flashbacks to Kingsbury’s teams.

8 – I almost never complain about referees. They are human, so mistakes will inevitably happen, and there are no rules that prohibit a team from just playing better the rest of the game. To me, though, that changes when the referees take a result into their own hands. Screwing up with the game clock is not a judgement call. It is breaking the spirit of the game, as well as breaking the rules. It is not fair play. And while the argument that the Cards could just play better the rest of the game to an extent still holds true, a 14-point swing right before the half is obviously a game changer.

9 – Mack Wilson and Kyzir White might not be a Dansby/Washington duo, but they are pretty damn good.

10 – Marvin Harrison was targeted 11 times and only had five catches. That tells its own story.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
#6 is a big one. Weren’t we #1 in league on converting third downs coming into the game.

Not anymore after that stinker.

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
After a rough first half, it felt like our D got the ball back for us enough times in the 2nd half for us to make a run at it. But we couldn't generate anything meaningful with the ball

Detroit neutralised two of our main threats (Conner & McBride) and we struggled to move the ball outside of penalties

Kyler and MHJ not quite on the same page yet but you feel that it will click

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
Kyler and MHJ not quite on the same page yet but you feel that it will click
I want to give this combo the benefit of doubt but I haven’t been impressed. Game 1, MHJ was targeted 3 times and came an away with 1 catch. Game 2 was targeted 8 with 4 completions and game 3, 11 targets for 5 completions. 45% completion rate isn’t cutting it. Go back to Dorch, McBride, and Wilson.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
KM and MHJ will figure it out. Right now it’s more on the rookie to read those back shoulder throws etc… also needs to make those contested catches, several completions left on the field as well as a couple of possible TDs

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not going to get down on MHJ. Patterns chosen were poor choices. I like crossing patters and didn’t see nearly enough. Every damn play called should have at least one receiver crossing. They are harder to cover and cause confusion.