10 thoughts - Lions game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Congratulation to @THESMEL who are on his way home with his new family! Best wishes your way, Sir.

----------------------

1 – The offense goes as much through James Connor as it does through Kyler Murray. Petzing’s gameplan doesn’t work when the running game doesn’t work.

2 – Detroit owned the trenches.

3 – I was very high on Dante Stills after last season, so I was surprised that he was a healthy scratch last week. This week he played close to half the snaps, had a sack and a huge 4th down stop. Guess he plays next week.

4 – Kyler Murray tried to do waaaay to much.

5 – It didn’t matter much that Beachum was out. He is not the same player as he once was, and Jackson Barton played well.

6 – Cards were one of nine on 3rd down, Lions won the field position battle, and Lions won the turnover battle (I include botched 4th downs). A bit difficult to overcome that.

7 – I got several flashbacks to Kingsbury’s teams.

8 – I almost never complain about referees. They are human, so mistakes will inevitably happen, and there are no rules that prohibit a team from just playing better the rest of the game. To me, though, that changes when the referees take a result into their own hands. Screwing up with the game clock is not a judgement call. It is breaking the spirit of the game, as well as breaking the rules. It is not fair play. And while the argument that the Cards could just play better the rest of the game to an extent still holds true, a 14-point swing right before the half is obviously a game changer.

9 – Mack Wilson and Kyzir White might not be a Dansby/Washington duo, but they are pretty damn good.

10 – Marvin Harrison was targeted 11 times and only had five catches. That tells its own story.

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
After a rough first half, it felt like our D got the ball back for us enough times in the 2nd half for us to make a run at it. But we couldn't generate anything meaningful with the ball

Detroit neutralised two of our main threats (Conner & McBride) and we struggled to move the ball outside of penalties

Kyler and MHJ not quite on the same page yet but you feel that it will click

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
Kyler and MHJ not quite on the same page yet but you feel that it will click
I want to give this combo the benefit of doubt but I haven’t been impressed. Game 1, MHJ was targeted 3 times and came an away with 1 catch. Game 2 was targeted 8 with 4 completions and game 3, 11 targets for 5 completions. 45% completion rate isn’t cutting it. Go back to Dorch, McBride, and Wilson.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
KM and MHJ will figure it out. Right now it’s more on the rookie to read those back shoulder throws etc… also needs to make those contested catches, several completions left on the field as well as a couple of possible TDs

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
I will give MHJ a break. He is a rookie in his third NFL game. Him and Kyler do not have timing down on the back shoulder fade passes. They are close, but you have to be perfect. It will take some time. It is one thing to do it in practice and another to do it at game speed with players trying to rip your head off.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will give MHJ a break. He is a rookie in his third NFL game. Him and Kyler do not have timing down on the back shoulder fade passes. They are close, but you have to be perfect. It will take some time. It is one thing to do it in practice and another to do it at game speed with players trying to rip your head off.
How about Jayden Daniels and McLaurin?

Looked in tune to me

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I’m fully confident MHJ will progress just fine. I wish he would reach out for the ball more. He is learning to play in the league. It’s been 3 games- temper your expectations of the rookie.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m not going to get down on MHJ. Patterns chosen were poor choices. I like crossing patters and didn’t see nearly enough. Every damn play called should have at least one receiver crossing. They are harder to cover and cause confusion.
Crossing patterns & delayed release for TE's after a block.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Congratulation to @THESMEL who are on his way home with his new family! Best wishes your way, Sir.

----------------------

1 – The offense goes as much through James Connor as it does through Kyler Murray. Petzing’s gameplan doesn’t work when the running game doesn’t work.

2 – Detroit owned the trenches.

3 – I was very high on Dante Stills after last season, so I was surprised that he was a healthy scratch last week. This week he played close to half the snaps, had a sack and a huge 4th down stop. Guess he plays next week.

4 – Kyler Murray tried to do waaaay to much.

5 – It didn’t matter much that Beachum was out. He is not the same player as he once was, and Jackson Barton played well.

6 – Cards were one of nine on 3rd down, Lions won the field position battle, and Lions won the turnover battle (I include botched 4th downs). A bit difficult to overcome that.

7 – I got several flashbacks to Kingsbury’s teams.

8 – I almost never complain about referees. They are human, so mistakes will inevitably happen, and there are no rules that prohibit a team from just playing better the rest of the game. To me, though, that changes when the referees take a result into their own hands. Screwing up with the game clock is not a judgement call. It is breaking the spirit of the game, as well as breaking the rules. It is not fair play. And while the argument that the Cards could just play better the rest of the game to an extent still holds true, a 14-point swing right before the half is obviously a game changer.

9 – Mack Wilson and Kyzir White might not be a Dansby/Washington duo, but they are pretty damn good.

10 – Marvin Harrison was targeted 11 times and only had five catches. That tells its own story.
#8. It just goes to show you how one play can change the outcome of a game. The refs get that right, we win 20-13. Same goes for Kyler seeing MHJ against the Bills. We are that close to being 3-0 without a great DL.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I know everyone is harping about #8 but here is the reality of that play. Yes, the refs screwed it up big time however the players are taught to play to the whistle. In this case after watching the video, some of them kept playing and others, particularly the Detroit Oline stopped. Had there been no whistles, the INT may never had happened. The whole situation was a total Fup due to the refs.

The refs are totally to blame for this however you can't say for certain the pass would have been intercepted if the play had not been blown dead.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are quite a character.
What is it with the personal attacks from you?

Respond to the post, not the poster

I don't call you out

So end it

Thanks

My post was about a rookie QB being in sync with a veteran WR

We have a veteran QB and a rookie WR

They are making it work and had tremendous rhythm last night

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McLaurin on the season has 12 catches for 139 yards and 1 TD. MHJ has 10 catches for 198 yards and 3 TDs. Not sure I would be pointing to the Daniels to McLaurin connection as "in tune".
I was referring to last night and how they were on target

I'm hoping MHJ and KM get that kind of familiarity

They did have a good game last week, but not those kinds of passes

602 Native

Veteran
Reaction score
MHJ is fine. He is a rookie being asked to be the man on a team that had zero WR1 coming in. That is a tall order but he should progress as the season goes.

I am more concerned about our TE who was supposed be all world coming into this season. He is hurt now but was not lighting the world on fire prior to that.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
#8. It just goes to show you how one play can change the outcome of a game. The refs get that right, we win 20-13. Same goes for Kyler seeing MHJ against the Bills. We are that close to being 3-0 without a great DL.
Yes, CFL, it’s a great point. It is very few things that should have gone different. And I keep reading posts about how the Lions and the Bills are two of the top teams in the NFL, as sort of an excuse to why those teams won, but the Cardinals are not that far off. Many fans will tell you that the Cards are in a build-up state, that they are a young team on the rise, that the season goal is to be average, and so on and so on. No, they are a competent team, and they can challenge against anybody. They had numerous chances to beat both of those two teams. There are no morale losses.

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
He is showing promise but let's remember... he was supposed to be the best receiver being drafted in the last 10 years. That is high expectations and now everone is supposed to be patient? More recently, other WR aren't facing the same hurdles.