2006 Cardinals: Game 10 (ARI 17 DET 10) Analysis

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Kudos to the Cardinals for playing their best game of the year...the offense was balanced and effective (featuring Edgerrin James' 94 yards on the ground, Matt Leinart's 233 yard passing yards, and some nifty highlight reel catches from Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald...and a nice audibled TD pass from Leinart to Bryant Johnson...and, oh, let's not forget Leinart's awesome 8 yard TD scramble!)...but credit all of that to the improved play of the offensive line...they stayed on side, opened good holes for James (especially on the left side where Milford Brown looks like the right combo with Leonard Davis--as long as Brown doesn't pull many whiffs on pass protection the way he did early on the game allowing Jared Devries a straight line shot at Leinart)...they pass protected reasonably well (on plays where C Nick Leckey wasn't getting knocked backward into Leinart's feet!), and they did something a Cardinal offense has rarely done, they allowed the team to run out the clock with the game still on the line.

Equally prepared and effective, the Cardinal defense pressured the Lions' offense into playing like the usual Cardinal offense...the Lions were sluggish, stayed too long in the huddle, wasted valuable timeouts, looked confused in the red zone and didn't play will real urgency in the 4th quarter...this was thanks to a stellar performance from the Cardinal defensive line...Bertrand Berry recorded two big sacks and a goaline stuff for a three yard loss on first and goal (which led to a nice goaline stand), Chike Okeafor turned in his best game of the season and was wreaking havoc on Jon Kitna from the edge, while messers Clancy and Watson were cleaning up the middle running game. Karlos Dansby had his best game of the season, chasing plays down like his days of old (one chase led to Kevin Jones' injury...which may have been the most important development in the game), and making a great break on a Kitna pass late in the game which he almost intercepted...Gerald Hayes' solid day was highlighted by his tip of a Kitna pass early in the game that Aaron Francisco intercepted (what a momentum turner this was follwing Scott Player's bobbled snap and ensuing punt block)...David Macklin and Antrel Rolle had their best games, as they were aggressive all day (actually bumping the Lions' WRs and disrutping Kitna's timing...and staying at home on misdirection plays)...Adrian Wilson made some fine pressure plays and Robert Griffith turned in his best game...showed exemplary leadership...and delivered the best hit of the year...jacking up Arlen Harris on the one inch line and knocking him backward while Griffith's helmet popped off like a champagne cork!

Both coordinators deserve game balls. Mike Kruczek called a great game...he really did a great job baiting the Lions' defense early in the game so that when he turned Leinart loose on the some deep shots, the WRs were open and Leinart was by then in rhythm and was precise...Krucz also threw in a flea flicker...and his third down fake dive flip lateral to Marcel Shipp fooled the Lions and allowed the Cardinals to run out the clock. As for Clancy Pendergast, his defense played with far better purpose today...and were finally coached to bump and run with Rolle and Macklin...and, just as commendable, double teaming Roy Williams on some key third down stops (something this defense has rarely done in the past). Save for some wide open passes to Mike Furrey...the pass defense was much improved and much more aggressive. As a final kudo, give CP a lot of credit for shutting WR Josh McCown out!

The most curious aspect of the afternoon was learning from the FOX team of Ron Pitts and Terry Donohue that Dennis Green wants to return next year only if he gets a contract extension. How any 1-8 (12-29) coach could even form the words "contract extension" on his lips is beyond belief...but...perhaps this statement was just another clear signal that Green is doing all he can to get run out of town...just as long as he can carry the cool $2.5M for next year's salary with him.

Last edited:

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Leckey had several nice blocks.

Saw him at least twice on the 2nd level getting a hat on someone and letting edge get extra yards.

On that swing pass to Marcell, he flashed to the right side to pick up a blitz and saved hollywood from being decapitated.

Got thrown around a little besides that though. But, just thinking that it's nice to have something approximating competent play at C.

Lutui was good and Big played pretty well.

I need to watch the tape one more time before I condemn reggie and milford, but I'm pretty sure they had a poor game.

We should have put these chumps away in the 2nd half, but the run blocking went south right up until that last drive.

DET is awful. They have one player. RW.

ChandlerCard

Now living in Scottsdale
Reaction score
Good analysis as always, Mitch. What made this the best game of the year was the fact that they played all 4 quarters. Although the defense was a little sluggish coming out in the second half, and it took them some time to adjust to the Lions' adjustments, they came through. This looked more like the kind of games I expected this year - flashes of brilliance mixed with solid efforts, tempered by the learning curve that so many starters with 0-2 years in the league invariably go through. Most importantly, the passion that drove us through some great drives earlier in the season is back. Now, can they take this to Minnesota and put together another solid effort (win or lose)?

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
Its hard to find words for Green wanting a contract extension. If that is really true. I really don't see how he could demand a contract extension. He signed a contract and he should live by it. Contracts should only be extended when it is beneficial for both sides. He if wants to walk let him walk but I would not pay him $2.5m to walk away.

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Thanks for the analysis, Mitch. I would add that I saw flashes of confidence from the team a few times today. I can't remember the exact moments, but I could see the energy they had after they scored the first TD and remember thinking how great it was to see them amped up. And on the Denny Green thing, if that story is true...what an ass he is.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Like our chances much more with Dansby on the field.

We need to lock him up long term asap.

Clancy is looking like a pretty good pick up too.

Two sacks for the B-Train.

O'Keafor's best game of the season by a mile.

How many takles for Darnell Dockett? zzzeeeroooo.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Nice analysis. I don't believe the contract extension rumor. Makes no sense.

It's not a rumor...Pitts and Donohue said that this was Green's comment to them when they asked him about next year.

CW...Leckey did have several good plays...and the snaps were not an issue after the first quarter.

ChandlerCard: Next week should be very very interesting. This game in Minnesota will likely be a very important and emotional one for Green, going up against his old team. The Cardinal players will be aware of this. Will the players care? At least for Green's added interest in this game?

GoodyearCard: Pitts and Dononue said that Green didn't want to coach as a lame duck in the final year of his contract. While that's what many coaches say, wouldn't one think that Green would want to do anything possible to coach another year to do everything he could to salvage his job and reputation?

AzMike: good point about the energy today...the players brought it for four quarters today, like ChandlerCard said...it was nice to see.

CrimsonWarrior: Yeah, an energized Dansby make a world of difference for this team...too bad Orlando Huff is so poor on the other side.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Nice analysis. I don't believe the contract extension rumor. Makes no sense.

What would make sense is if he wanted an extension to become the GM and then hired a headcoach and kept some continuity to what is going on with the team rather than tearing it apart. If a gameday coach could get this team to perform up to there talent and DG could have another year to get more talent It could work out. But not as the Headcoach. Today is the first day that offense has had any imagination and ran some decent schemes. Then they barely win the game and only score 17.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many takles for Darnell Dockett? zzzeeeroooo.
Dockett may not show up in the stat book, but he had at least a couple of nice pressures that resulted in incompletes.

BTW, I'm NOT a Dockett fan. But, he didn't have a terrible game.

Tim

Reaction score
Yeah, an energized Dansby make a world of difference for this team...too bad Orlando Huff is so poor on the other side.[/quote]

Week in and week out I can't believe that Huff is still starting. He is an obvious weak link to this defense. If there isn't anyone on the roster currently that is a better option, I firmly believe that there are guys on the street or on other teams' practice squads that are better options. He consistently tackles high, doesn't wrap up, and is poor in pass coverage. Other than that he is great. Did everyone see him get absolutely run over by Cason on that running play? Cason barely broke stride and Huff is bigger than him! I can't remember his contract status off the top of my head, but I hope that is a position that the team can address this offseason.

With the exception of WLB, I feel very good about the pieces on defense for the future. Francisco is the FS of the future in my opinion. The D-line is above average. We certainly could use another corner or two, but other than those two holes I think this defense is set for the future, and will continue to improve with maturity.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
A lot of the coverage issues were due to Huff's inability to set up a decent zone. Huff seems to always have issues with coverage but today was worse than usual, he doesn't pick up people when they flash in his zone but does his best to stay stationary. When Hayes and Dansby are as good in coverage as they are, havng Huff in there really hurts us.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its hard to find words for Green wanting a contract extension. If that is really true. I really don't see how he could demand a contract extension. He signed a contract and he should live by it. Contracts should only be extended when it is beneficial for both sides. He if wants to walk let him walk but I would not pay him $2.5m to walk away.

I think Green knows that being a lame duck in the last year of his deal is a certain recipe for failure. I actually agree with him that if he does return (and I DO NOT think he will), they should at least go ahead and guarantee the option year of his deal. The last coach we brought back to his last year without an extension was Tobin. Tobin wanted a new deal too, he didn't get one. And, we know how that went.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch,

Brown WAS very impressive today. In fact, the worst game on the line was Davis, who got beat across his face by Kalimba Edwards about 3 times. I can understand him having trouble with Edwards off the edge, but no way should he have been getting beaten to the inside like that.

I also MIGHT have to admit I was wrong about Wells as a RT. He's getting better each week and was solid today.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Dockett may not show up in the stat book, but he had at least a couple of nice pressures that resulted in incompletes.

Maybe, but it looks to me like he's trying to work his way back on to the poop list.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score

Dockett had the pressure on 2nd and goal from the 4 that caused Kitna to throw a bad screen that lost another 6 yards.

You know, Jurecki makes a comment on a radio show one morning and suddenly a guy cant play

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
GoodyearCard: Pitts and Dononue said that Green didn't want to coach as a lame duck in the final year of his contract. While that's what many coaches say, wouldn't one think that Green would want to do anything possible to coach another year to do everything he could to salvage his job and reputation?

I am still a Green supporter because I think he has improved the team in many areas. However, even I would not give him a contract extension. It would be funny if he did get a contract extension. There would be rioting outside the stadium. Of course if Green is fired he will be the latest scapegoat for the Bidwills failures.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dockett had the pressure on 2nd and goal from the 4 that caused Kitna to throw a bad screen that lost another 6 yards.

You know, Jurecki makes a comment on a radio show one morning and suddenly a guy cant play

Dockett has actually played harder since he got his deal than I expected him to.

Tim

Reaction score
A lot of the coverage issues were due to Huff's inability to set up a decent zone. Huff seems to always have issues with coverage but today was worse than usual, he doesn't pick up people when they flash in his zone but does his best to stay stationary. When Hayes and Dansby are as good in coverage as they are, havng Huff in there really hurts us.

Good call. The play where Cambell flashed through his zone for the deep completion was a huge mental error. That was the play where Rolle blitzed off the corner and whiffed on the sack. It seems like our DB's do that a lot.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch,

Brown WAS very impressive today. In fact, the worst game on the line was Davis, who got beat across his face by Kalimba Edwards about 3 times. I can understand him having trouble with Edwards off the edge, but no way should he have been getting beaten to the inside like that.

I also MIGHT have to admit I was wrong about Wells as a RT. He's getting better each week and was solid today.

I can't get myself to give TOO much credit for anything in todays game(except the win)
What we played today, was the one team, possibly worse than the Cardinals.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't get myself to give TOO much credit for anything in todays game(except the win)
What we played today, was the one team, possibly worse than the Cardinals.

He was actually decent against Dallas too. At least from what I saw when I paid attention to him.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
If Green wins out the rest of the year, perhaps, Bidwill will let him finish out his last year of the contract and then decide his future. And if Green chooses to walk, let him, he certainly isn't in a position to demand anything.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure all Green means is without an extension he's a lame duck and the players won't listen to him?

But yeah at 2-8 seems silly