2006 Cardinals: Game 2 (ARI vs. SEA) Preview

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vinnymac said:
the lack of tackling couldn't be the reason why the 49ers were able to score and run the ball. players were in position to make the tackle. they just didn't do it. you have to want to tackle somebody. the defense has to bring the fight to the offense. i didn't see that happen sunday.

tackle tackle tackle tackle tackle tackle. that is the key to the seahawks game. the defense starts tackling then wins will come their way.

I thought the defense was too excited and not intense enough for the game against the Niners. They ran around with a lot of energy, but they were just kind of stupid and not real focused. I don't think they respected the 49ers at all, and that's a great way to look bad, I don't care who you are playing.

We'll see. If they aren't intense for the Hawks, it could be a bad year for Pendy and the D.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i really dont judge a team until their 4th game. after the 4th game, i can get grasp on how the team is going to do for the season. like someone else posted earlier " it is the fundementals that are not being exicuted." i hope the cardinals start tackling and quit making mental era's.

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
No way you can do that you'll tip off Seattle pass or run everytime you sub.

This brings up something I have been wondering about for a few weeks but I don't have any game tape to check it:

Does Kurt Warner tip off run plays by his stance under center?

I noticed it on a few running plays in the preseason but have not had the chance to really watch for it. He tends to pull out the foot that he is turning toward before he takes the snap. Never seen him do it on pass plays - not saying he doesn't - but it made me wonder if he is not tipping the defense off before the snap - not only is it a running play but here's the side it's likely going.

Anyone else seen this?

Reaction score
Billy Flynt said:
This brings up something I have been wondering about for a few weeks but I don't have any game tape to check it:

I noticed it on a few running plays in the preseason but have not had the chance to really watch for it. He tends to pull out the foot that he is turning toward before he takes the snap. Never seen him do it on pass plays - not saying he doesn't - but it made me wonder if he is not tipping the defense off before the snap - not only is it a running play but here's the side it's likely going.

Anyone else seen this?
That would be freakin' monumental if it's the case. If your right, Contact the Cardinals and parlay it into a staff position with the team!

In the meantime...

SSSSHHHHH!!!!!! :stick:

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Update Sunday September 17

It's been an interesting week at Cardinals' headquarters. Here are some of the developments and my thoughts about them:

1. Karlos Dansby practiced and is expected to play. To me, this is weird. How does he suddenly go from not being able to do anything, to being ready to play in three short days? IMO, there is something far more wrong with Dansby than his toe. He's been like the new Eric Swann this off-season...doing his own thing and basically showing up when he wants to show up and playing when he wants to play. I hope I am wrong about him...but my instinct tells me otherwise. Will he help the Cardinals' chances in this game? IMO, no. Not after three days of practice.

2. Oliver Ross practiced and is expected to play. Helps the depth, but the coaches will probably keep him out for at least another week.

3. Reggie Wells will start at RT and Chris Liwienski will start at LG. This move, IMO, gives the Cardinals a better chance to win today. Liwienski is the upgrade as a run blocking LG that the Cardinals desperately need. And Wells, with his good feet and agility, should be stronger in his new role.

4. Dennis Green sticks with Eric Green as starting RCB and tells the media that he wants to start looking at newcomer Matt Ware in the hopes of having him play some minutes at CB. This was like music to my ears. Eric Green deserves to start because of the good, hard, physical way he played last week. And Dennis Green's mentioning of Matt Ware means that the coaches are looking for better CB play across the board...and with the way Antrel Rolle has struggled at times...this is a good thing.

5. Darnell Dockett is fined $7,500 by the NFL for his late hit out of bounds on Alex Smith's knee. Well deserved fine. Dockett does not deserve to start in today's ballgame and the fact that he is (apparently...because there has been no mention otherwise)...is the main reason why the Cardinals will likely lose in Seattle today. The key for the Cardinals is not giving up a big rushing day to Shaun Alexander...Dockett hurts that cause. His ball location and tackling skills are about as poor as they come by NFL standards for DTs. His forte is dispruption...but in order to achieve that Dockett has to take some risks in shooting particular gaps. If he shoots the wrong one he will leave a truckwide lane for Alexander to run through. The smartest thing the Cardinals can do in this ballgame is play their best two run stoppers, Kendrick Clancy and Langston Moore, side by side for most of the afternoon. If the Cardinals do...I actually think they will slow Alexander down and I actually believe this will give the Cardinals a more than decent chance to win the ballgame.

6. Edgerrin James is ESPN's darling...great article this week about James' charsima and how he's rallying up the Cardinal players...and now James is on the front page of the magazine. Edge does give his Cardinals an edge...the intangibles of his leadership will be required today, and if the Cardinals do win this afternoon, Edge's presence will have a lot to with it.

I had a dream that the Cardinals win this ballgame...only, for some reason, Matt Leinart was in at QB and playing lights out.

I'll go with the dream. Prediction: Cards 24 Seahawks 16

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Billy Flynt said:

Anyone else seen this?

I had the same thoughts, almost word for word that you posted. I know I will be looking at Warner's stance more closely this week.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch said:
It's been an interesting week at Cardinals' headquarters. Here are some of the developments and my thoughts about them:

2. Oliver Ross practiced and is expected to play. Helps the depth, but the coaches will probably keep him out for at least another week.

Hopefully he gets a couple of snaps, but I concur he won't see much action

3. Reggie Wells will start at RT and Chris Liwienski will start at LG. This move, IMO, gives the Cardinals a better chance to win today. Liwienski is the upgrade as a run blocking LG that the Cardinals desperately need. And Wells, with his good feet and agility, should be stronger in his new role.

I like this move on a short term and possibly a long term basis. If Ross actually plays up to DG's expectations then Wells may end up at center which would make many fans on this board happy.

4. Dennis Green sticks with Eric Green as starting RCB and tells the media that he wants to start looking at newcomer Matt Ware in the hopes of having him play some minutes at CB. This was like music to my ears. Eric Green deserves to start because of the good, hard, physical way he played last week. And Dennis Green's mentioning of Matt Ware means that the coaches are looking for better CB play across the board...and with the way Antrel Rolle has struggled at times...this is a good thing.

Maybe the Cards need to get a bio chart or something to figure out when Macklin will have a good game. It seems to me about 40% of the time he plays very well and then will struggle in other games.

I agree it's time to see E Green get some extended playing time

5. Darnell Dockett is fined $7,500 by the NFL for his late hit out of bounds on Alex Smith's knee. Well deserved fine. Dockett does not deserve to start in today's ballgame and the fact that he is (apparently...because there has been no mention otherwise)...is the main reason why the Cardinals will likely lose in Seattle today. The key for the Cardinals is not giving up a big rushing day to Shaun Alexander...Dockett hurts that cause. His ball location and tackling skills are about as poor as they come by NFL standards for DTs. His forte is dispruption...but in order to achieve that Dockett has to take some risks in shooting particular gaps. If he shoots the wrong one he will leave a truckwide lane for Alexander to run through. The smartest thing the Cardinals can do in this ballgame is play their best two run stoppers, Kendrick Clancy and Langston Moore, side by side for most of the afternoon. If the Cardinals do...I actually think they will slow Alexander down and I actually believe this will give the Cardinals a more than decent chance to win the ballgame.

I would also like to see Watson rotated in.

6. Edgerrin James is ESPN's darling...great article this week about James' charsima and how he's rallying up the Cardinal players...and now James is on the front page of the magazine. Edge does give his Cardinals an edge...the intangibles of his leadership will be required today, and if the Cardinals do win this afternoon, Edge's presence will have a lot to with it.

Edge has done more for this teams confidence and attitude then any other move the Cards could have done. Edge stepping into the team leader position is new to him because Manning had that role with the Colts. It will be interesting to see if Edge's approach of accountability and having fun will be more effective then Manning's accoutability only approach.

I had a dream that the Cardinals win this ballgame...only, for some reason, Matt Leinart was in at QB and playing lights out.

I'll go with the dream. Prediction: Cards 24 Seahawks 16

Good stuff as always Mitch.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05