2006 Cardinals: Game 2 (ARI vs. SEA) Preview

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
The Cardinals have some major decisions to make this week...and some hard work ahead of them if they are going to go into Seattle and take early command of the NFC West.

Can the Cardinals win in Seattle?

Yes...but, IMO, they don't stand a chance if the following decisions are not made:

1. The Cardinal defense HAS to make the follwing changes in schemes and personnel:

A. Start Langston Moore at NT and Kendrick Clancy at UT...which would give them the best chance to slow down and stop Shaun Alexander and the Seattle running attack.

B. Rotate DE Antonio Smith in at LDE and RDE to spell Okeafor and Berry in order to keep them fresh.

C. Send the kitchen sink after Matt Hasselbeck by sending Adrian Wilson and Gerald Hayes at him from all different angles...and play a steady diet of aggressive man-to-man coverage with Antrel Rolle at LCB and Eric Green at RCB. If Rolle still struggles...CP should try Robert Tate, who has been pretty solid as the nickel.

D. Start Aaron Francisco at FS...better, more aggressive tackler than Griffith and a much better Cover 2 safety.

E. Stress form tackling all week long...give incentives to the DL for tackles and sacks...gotta have them this week...all over the field...

2. The Cardinal offense needs to:

A. Abandon a steady diet of the stretch play versus Seattle's fast defense...in favor of pounding the ball between the tackles on quick traps and isolation plays...and motion the TE into traps to clean up any penetration.

B. Start Duece Lutui at LG...the best run blocker on the bench

C. Start Brandon Gorin at RT...a better run blocker than Liwienski...Ross won't be ready and he's a sack waiting to happen in pass protection...

D. Start Nick Leckey at C...the unit gets off the ball faster and cleaner with him delivering the snaps...and they pick up the stunts better...

E. Launch a full scale attack at the Seattle secondary...flooding their zones and passing beyond the FS deep to BJ...which will be there because the Seattle safeties will try to jump Fitz's deep in routes...run Boldin in the slot all day...a shake him loose underneath...on the other side exploit the middle and seams with either Leonard Pope and Adam Bergen or Troy Walters out of the slot...

F. Play action pass on most third down and shorts...

G. Keep constant pressure on the Seattle secondary...not only by mixing up underneath routes with verticle passes...but unleash Edge out of the backfield this week for at least 7-8 passes.

3. On special teams....

A. Rackers needs to start kicking touchbacks again, even though the coverage has been much improved...

B. The coaches need to activate Diamond Ferri this week...they need another sure tackler in coverage...

C. If Matt Ware is healthy...get the field goal block team ready...

Dennis Green has already shown that he will not tolerate mistakes when he yanked David Macklin...well, will he cater his personnel and the team's schemes this week to how they can match up best with Seattle?

If he does, IMO, the Cards win 24-20.

Green needs to be aggressive and remind his team that following good home wins in the recent past, the team has gone on the road and laid an egg...this has got to stop...right now...this week...

He needs to remind his team that 9 of the 13 visiting teams won on the road this past week...and that winning on the road is the path to the playoffs.

Last edited:

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed in reading game logs, Peter King MMQB, etc that Hasselbeck was pretty beat up on Sunday, something like 5 sacks and 5 hits. Reports are that he should be sore and stuff, so we really need to get some push this week.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THREE new starters on the oline? No thanks. It's time to stop shuffling those guys every week.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
THREE new starters on the oline? No thanks. It's time to stop shuffling those guys every week.

OK...here's the thing...the Cardinals have no chance of running on Seattle to the outside...none...they are too fast...

The Cardinals have to pound the middle where Seattle is weakest...their MLB Lofa Tatupu...is small and fast...which is another eason why Nick Leckey is the best choice at C...he's quicker than Stepanovich and faster at picking up the inside blitz...

Lutui can get a push on Rocky Bernard, Marcus Tubbs, Russell Davis and Chuck Darby...Wells cannot...

Sub in Wells for Lutui on sure passing downs if necessary...but if the LG gets no push in this game...guess what? No win.

Brandon Gorin is the best matchup for blocking Bryce Fisher...the Cardinals will get a better game out of Gorin than Liwienski...and Fisher will blow by Oliver Ross with ease as he did last year...Leonard Davis can handle grant Wistrom...although the Cards should chip both ends with the TE on occasion and protect with Edge away from the TE.

Milford Brown has got to come out of his cleats this week and punish these Seattle DTs...and the Cardinals HAVE to get physical with Tatupu and isolate on him regularly with a FB or he will be meeting Edge in the backfield.

Re-sign Hodgins or promote Bronson...but this week the FB is a major player if the Cards have any chance of running the football.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:

Totally agree you can't do that week to week and get away with it, especially with a rookie and a guy who's been here a few weeks.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch said:
Sub in Wells for Lutui on sure passing downs if necessary...but if the LG gets no push in this game...guess what? No win.

No way you can do that you'll tip off Seattle pass or run everytime you sub.

I agree Deuce is a better run blocker but let's give Loney some credit here he has done this before he's going to pick the 5 he thinks can get it done and try to get them to jell. You can't do that if you're shuffling players in week 2.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
This game is playing with the house's money--

I doubt a single permutation of everyone's most optimistic projections had the Cardinals winning this game --

Other than the aforementioned strong efforts on O and D, I think they will need a big play from their special teams -- a big return to set up an easy score, a blocked punt, etc. (and wouldnt that be a refreshing change?)

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Mitch said:
A. Start Langston Moore at NT and Kendrick Clancy at UT...which would give them the best chance to slow down and stop Shaun Alexander and the Seattle running attack.

Green needs to be aggressive and remind his team that following good home wins in the recent past, the team has gone on the road and laid an egg...this has got to stop...right now...this week...

He needs to remind his team that 9 of the 13 visiting teams won on the road this past week...and that winning on the road is the path to the playoffs.

I like this idea on Moore at NT and Clancy at Ut Mitch. Good idea. Also agree on Green being agressive about reminding the team of laying an egg on the road after a big home win. Astute. Seattle is beatable and if Cards want to win more than them it can be done. Cards gotta want it.

Last edited:

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
No way you can do that you'll tip off Seattle pass or run everytime you sub.
I agree Deuce is a better run blocker but let's give Loney some credit here he has done this before he's going to pick the 5 he thinks can get it done and try to get them to jell. You can't do that if you're shuffling players in week 2.

I was thinking the same thing as I read this Russ.

ishbin

Rookie
Reaction score
if step is playing center for us we are screwed. i agree it sucks to keep shuffling the line but green/loney have failed to adress the problem. everyone watching can see alex is horrible & leckey is an upgrade, yet nothing has been done. the line does need time to gel but you can't keep running scrubs out there every week hoping they will get better. we had all preseason & i don't think the time was used wisely.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
First let me just say that Russell Davis is the 5th DT on the Seattle roster. he wasnt even active last week and looks to be un-active against us as well possibly.

Anyways.....

My 10 Keys -

1. Keep the OL the way it was last week. The new addition at RT had 3 practice days to get chemistry with his new OL mates. It is not time to reshuffle yet again. Although new parts to the engine may be better products in your mind, not all parts fit together.

2. Watson or Lewis need to be activated in this game. A 6 Man DL rotation just will not cut it for a 4 quarter game like we did against the 49ers. I would actually perfer to see both on the active roster somehow. Detriot had a 8 Man rotation against Seattle last week and I believe we should do the same as well. Keep their OL guessing, thinking, and keep our DL fresh.

3. More creativity on O and D, especially the ways of getting a pass rush.

4. Stop the stupid penalties already. There is no reason to give another team 3 second chances with 3 stupid 15 yard personal fouls. Giving a team 45 yards on stupid, stupid, penalties is a killer. Just getting rid of that alone against the 49ers and the score would have been a lot better in our favor. Allowing 3 first downs on Penalties is not acceptable.

5. Keep on Keepin on. We never abandonded the run last week even when it didnt work. We still ran the ball 29 times. Commitment to the run and its about time.

6. Keep up the Red zone efficency.

7. Pace may not be a world beater but hope Pace is healthy to go. Once Blackstock came in I thought the D lost a little something.

8. Warner needs to take more advantage of one on one coverage on the outside with Fitz or Boldin. I dont think Warner saw those matchups as much as he should have.

9. Boldin and Fitz - No drops.

10. The DL needs to watch a ton of film on the Lions DL from this past Sunday. Their DL had Seattles OL number the whole game, and need to really break down that film hardcore.

Last edited:

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
2. Watson or Lewis need to be activated in this game. A 6 Man DL rotation just will not cut it for a 4 quarter game like we did against the 49ers. I would actually perfer to see both on the active roster somehow. Detriot had a 8 Man rotation against Seattle last week and I believe we should do the same as well. Keep their OL guessing, thinking, and keep our DL fresh.
Not only do we need a rotation to keep everyone fresh but we need their size in the middle. SF killed us by running up the gut.

joeshmo said:
3. More creativity on O and D, especially the ways of getting a pass rush.

I think the coaching staff considered SF bad enough that they didn't have to use much of the playbook. I'm sure the defending NFC champion Seahawks are going to see much more than the 49ers did.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Assface said:
Not only do we need a rotation to keep everyone fresh but we need their size in the middle. SF killed us by running up the gut.

I think the coaching staff considered SF bad enough that they didn't have to use much of the playbook. I'm sure the defending NFC champion Seahawks are going to see much more than the 49ers did.

Why was Lewis inactive? I know Watson was/is having calf problems.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
some keys for me is:

the tackling needs to get better. the scheme seem to be good. defenders were position to make the tackle. they just didn't do it.

the defensive line needs to get meaner. playing on the line is all about pride and attitude. the cardinals defensive line had that in spurts, but not all through out the game. the 49ers o-line had their way with the cardinals defensive line.

the offensive line needs to get nasty on running plays. to many times the 49ers defensive line shove the cardinals o-line around on the run. they say run blocking is all attitude. i am still waiting to see some of that.

those are the major keys to the seahawks game to me. defensive line play, tackling, and run blocking.

Reaction score
Mitch, you have got some great input, I like some of your ideas. Individually considered they have some merit. However it is just unrealistic to think that you are going to see seven different starters this week, four on D, and three on the OL.

Moore for Clancy
Clancy for Dockett
Francisco for Griffith
Green for Macklin
(regardless of what everyone thinks, there's no definitive word from DG that Green is the new starter, he may be, but we don't know.)​
Latui for Wells
Gorin for Liweinski
Leckey for Stepanovich

Then in addition activating Ferri and Ware would mean two others have to be inactive.

Sorry, when you put it all together... Well it just doesn't make a lick of sense

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great Thread

I think I'll steal some of your strategic thinking for my BRS matchup write up.

I'd add one other thing regarding our defense - In the past, Hasselbeck has run a lot of waggles. During the past 2 weeks, Smith and Cutler were able able to repeatedly get outside of our contain. We can't afford to get sucked in like that. One guy has to mirror Hasselbeck and get into his face when he rolls out - with arms up to block the QB's passing lane.

Similarly, our outside pass rusher has to get his hands up to take away Hasselbeck's check down throws to Alexander in the flat.

Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
I'd add one other thing regarding our defense - In the past, Hasselbeck has run a lot of waggles. During the past 2 weeks, Smith and Cutler were able able to repeatedly get outside of our contain. We can't afford to get sucked in like that. One guy has to mirror Hasselbeck and get into his face when he rolls out - with arms up to block the QB's passing lane.

Similarly, our outside pass rusher has to get his hands up to take away Hasselbeck's check down throws to Alexander in the flat.
That will be a great assignment for Dansby...

Oh, damn that's right; Karlos has a sore toe!!! :sad: :help:

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
I think I'll steal some of your strategic thinking for my BRS matchup write up.

Excellent points, Jeff. The reason why teams run so much misdirection at the Cardinals is because of how undisciplined they are...the DEs don't contain and the away side defenders don't tend to stay at home.

The other thing is...how many times are we going to watch simple RB swing passes and screens go for huge chunks of yards? Again...the schemes are too passive, further exacerbated by the players' lack of discipline.

SeaChicken

The Other Bird
Reaction score
Just an observation but the vast majority of Cardinal fans seem to actually be knowlegable and realistic when talking about football. It's refreshing. Not the same "We can beat 'em cuz they suck!!" crap that you get on a lot of boards. Respect.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Assface said:

Yeah , the idea of subbing in eight linemen works for me!:thumbup:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
ISimilarly, our outside pass rusher has to get his hands up to take away Hasselbeck's check down throws to Alexander in the flat.

That is going to have to be reckoned with. You know they're going to try and free up Alexander this week. Where is Dansby when you need him?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Mitch said:
Excellent points, Jeff. The reason why teams run so much misdirection at the Cardinals is because of how undisciplined they are...the DEs don't contain and the away side defenders don't tend to stay at home.

The other thing is...how many times are we going to watch simple RB swing passes and screens go for huge chunks of yards? Again...the schemes are too passive, further exacerbated by the players' lack of discipline.

Not sure I agree that Pendergasts schemes are too passive. We have since Green's been here play a pretty aggressive and fast style of D. That is what gets us in trouble sometimes and can be construed as undisiplined play.

There was a deep ball to Bryant that went for a TD in the 3rd qtr. I believe that "Rolle had no deep help on and got torched. That's because Wilson was somewhere in the 9ers backfield at the time. Lucky for us it was called back because of a hold. But if Pendergast is going to use Wilson like that again he better have two deep because he didn't there. No Pendergasts scheme is aggressive in my eyes - playing more man and blitzes ect.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch said:
The Cardinals have some major decisions to make this week...and some hard work ahead of them if they are going to go into Seattle and take early command of the NFC West.

Can the Cardinals win in Seattle?

Yes...but, IMO, they don't stand a chance if the following decisions are not made:

1. The Cardinal defense HAS to make the follwing changes in schemes and personnel:

B. Rotate DE Antonio Smith in at LDE and RDE to spell Okeafor and Berry in order to keep them fresh.

C. Send the kitchen sink after Matt Hasselbeck by sending Adrian Wilson and Gerald Hayes at him from all different angles...and play a steady diet of aggressive man-to-man coverage with Antrel Rolle at LCB and Eric Green at RCB. If Rolle still struggles...CP should try Robert Tate, who has been pretty solid as the nickel.

D. Start Aaron Francisco at FS...better, more aggressive tackler than Griffith and a much better Cover 2 safety.

E. Stress form tackling all week long...give incentives to the DL for tackles and sacks...gotta have them this week...all over the field...

2. The Cardinal offense needs to:

A. Abandon a steady diet of the stretch play versus Seattle's fast defense...in favor of pounding the ball between the tackles on quick traps and isolation plays...and motion the TE into traps to clean up any penetration.

B. Start Duece Lutui at LG...the best run blocker on the bench

C. Start Brandon Gorin at RT...a better run blocker than Liwienski...Ross won't be ready and he's a sack waiting to happen in pass protection...

D. Start Nick Leckey at C...the unit gets off the ball faster and cleaner with him delivering the snaps...and they pick up the stunts better...

E. Launch a full scale attack at the Seattle secondary...flooding their zones and passing beyond the FS deep to BJ...which will be there because the Seattle safeties will try to jump Fitz's deep in routes...run Boldin in the slot all day...a shake him loose underneath...on the other side exploit the middle and seams with either Leonard Pope and Adam Bergen or Troy Walters out of the slot...

F. Play action pass on most third down and shorts...

G. Keep constant pressure on the Seattle secondary...not only by mixing up underneath routes with verticle passes...but unleash Edge out of the backfield this week for at least 7-8 passes.

3. On special teams....

A. Rackers needs to start kicking touchbacks again, even though the coverage has been much improved...

B. The coaches need to activate Diamond Ferri this week...they need another sure tackler in coverage...

C. If Matt Ware is healthy...get the field goal block team ready...

Dennis Green has already shown that he will not tolerate mistakes when he yanked David Macklin...well, will he cater his personnel and the team's schemes this week to how they can match up best with Seattle?

If he does, IMO, the Cards win 24-20.

I agree with all of your defensive analysis, Mitch , but I disagree with a couple of your offensive ideas.
A. We are going to see the stretch play for the rest of the season for a couple of reasons:
1. Edge likes to run that play and it will get better.
2. It will help freeze the LB's and Safties when used for play action even if it's only for a second and we all know what 1 second means to our receivers.

B,C,and D. Do you really think changing 60% of the o-line is a wise thing to do against Seattle? You mention better run blocking by your 3 replacements, however , this is 1 game we need to protect Warner and keep him upright. Although we nobody on the offensive line is going to the Hall of Fame based on last weeks performance, we did manage to score 34 pts. Lutui is the 1 guy I would not put in there this week. Maybe in certain situations, but I do not want to see a rookie starting against a very good Seatlle D.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
SeaChicken said:
Just an observation but the vast majority of Cardinal fans seem to actually be knowlegable and realistic when talking about football. It's refreshing. Not the same "We can beat 'em cuz they suck!!" crap that you get on a lot of boards. Respect.

hey. you know what!

we can beat the seahawks cuz they suck!

:D

:raccoon:

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
the lack of tackling couldn't be the reason why the 49ers were able to score and run the ball. players were in position to make the tackle. they just didn't do it. you have to want to tackle somebody. the defense has to bring the fight to the offense. i didn't see that happen sunday.

tackle tackle tackle tackle tackle tackle. that is the key to the seahawks game. the defense starts tackling then wins will come their way.