2006 World Cup

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Prediction Time

Time for everyone to make their guesses...

1) USA Record in group play.
2) USA Leading Scorer
3) How first USA goal will be scored.
4) Who will score the first USA goal.
5) US player to make biggest impression.
6) Tournament leading goal scorer.
7) Tournament best player.
8 ) Surprise team--in a good way.
9) Surprise team--in a bad way.
10) World Cup Champion.

Add to it....

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Zeno said:
1 win, 2 draws
2) USA Leading Scorer
Beasley with 3
Off a corner kick
O'Brien
Oguchi Onyewu
Ronaldinho (or Pauleta)
Pauleta
Australlia, who makes it out of group play
Mexico--finishes third in a group some think they will win
10) World Cup Champion.
Portugal

:thumbup:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Zeno said:
Time for everyone to make their guesses...

1) USA Record in group play. 1-0-2
2) USA Leading Scorer Eddie Johnson
3) How first USA goal will be scored. McBride Header
4) Who will score the first USA goal.McBride
5) US player to make biggest impression.Eddie Johnson
6) Tournament leading goal scorer. Tevez
7) Tournament best player.Tevez
8 ) Surprise team--in a good way. Iran
9) Surprise team--in a bad way. Czech Republic or Portugal
10) World Cup Champion. Argentina

Add to it....

Here's mine.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Anybody have a site where I can bet either on the US making it out of the group stages, making the semis, or both? I need to place a bet, but I don't have a clue where to go that won't rip me off.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Ollie said:
Cissé is definitively out, he broke his right leg tibia in some weird contact with a chinese player, exactly the same way he broke his left leg two years ago. This guy's bones are made of glass.

I heard Chimbonda made a very good EPL season (he wasn't really impressive in France, that's why he's maybe underappreciated) but unfortunately for him, he's stuck behind Sagnol in the right back depth chart and won't play centre back so I guess he won't play at all.

Anyway, coach Domenech have pretty much set our team : back-4 as described, midfield will be Malouda-Makelele-Vieira (or maybe "Scarface" Ribéry)-Zidane and forwards will be Henry-Trezeguet or Saha. Don't know if he's gonna call back a player after Cissé's injury, though.

I think you are seriously undervaluing Vieira. He is an absolute physical force in the center and was the arguably the best player on those star-studded Arsenal teams. Also, as soon as he went to Juventas, (one of the highest, if no the highest price tag I've ever seen) they win immeadiately (I know about the whol fix). He will start.

SouthNZoneFan

GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON
Reaction score
Stout said:
Are there odds on us advancing at all? I'd love to lay some money down on that.

That is the odds that they are giving us to win! I woudl think that they would follow Vegas a little more, but they aren't....

SouthNZoneFan

GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON
Reaction score
Can we bet on how many riots there will be? I am kind of getting scared of going because of this....

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
just dont mix with either the English - German (that might be a bit tricky) or dutch fans and you should be ok, or just dont make eye contact with anyone ever!! ;)

it will be fine mate - any sign of bother and just leg it! i was in Belgium when it all kicked off and if you dont want to be part of it just walk away and dont stand and watch!

saying that the last world cup was pretty much trouble free as was Euro 2004 so lets keep our fingers crossed!

Last edited:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Zeno said:

1 win, 1 draw, 1 loss
2) USA Leading Scorer
Donovan with 2
McBride dribbling in from the side.
Donovan
Onyewu
Rooney
Rooney
Iran
Germany
10) World Cup Champion.
England

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My fantasy team

GK BUFFON Gianluigi ITA
GK CECH Petr CZE
GK DIDA BRA
GK ABBONDANZIERI Roberto ARG
D HUTH Robert GER
D POPE Eddie USA
D GUARDADO Andres MEX
D ONYEWU Oguchi USA
D MERTESACKER Per GER
D SORIN Juan ARG
M TOTTI Francesco ITA
M ZIDANE Zinedine FRA
M NEDVED Pavel CZE
M RONALDINHO BRA
M BECKHAM David ENG
M RODRIGUEZ Maxi ARG
M BRESCIANO Marco AUS
F ROONEY Wayne ENG
F AHN Jung Hwan KOR
F RONALDO BRA
F DEL PIERO Alessandro ITA
F DROGBA Didier CIV
F KLOSE Miroslav GER

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
My fantasy team

GK BUFFON Gianluigi ITA
GK CECH Petr CZE
GK DIDA BRA
GK ABBONDANZIERI Roberto ARG
D HUTH Robert GER
D POPE Eddie USA
D GUARDADO Andres MEX
D ONYEWU Oguchi USA
D MERTESACKER Per GER
D SORIN Juan ARG
M TOTTI Francesco ITA
M ZIDANE Zinedine FRA
M NEDVED Pavel CZE
M RONALDINHO BRA
M BECKHAM David ENG
M RODRIGUEZ Maxi ARG
M BRESCIANO Marco AUS
F ROONEY Wayne ENG
F AHN Jung Hwan KOR
F RONALDO BRA
F DEL PIERO Alessandro ITA
F DROGBA Didier CIV
F KLOSE Miroslav GER

I'm sorry, but I think that is a bad team.

English on tour

Reaction score
just done my fantasy football

van der Sar

Heinze
Nesta
Cola
Edman

Gerrard
Beasley
Messi

Ronaldo
Crespo
Klose

for a total of 50 mil on the the dailt telegraph site

show me the money:biglaugh:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
I'm sorry, but I think that is a bad team.

All either stars from 4 years ago that are still good (ie Renoldo) or young guys with a ton of skill. I'll admit there are better players than the US players I picked but I am a homer.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
All either stars from 4 years ago that are still good (ie Renoldo) or young guys with a ton of skill. I'll admit there are better players than the US players I picked but I am a homer.

There are a few players I would add:

- Puyol
- Keller
- Henry
- Adriano
- Deco
- Carvalho
- Terry
- Makalele
- Kaka
- Nesta
- Essien
- Larsson
- Also, how could you forget Lampard?

I would have changed about 60% of your team but all these players are extremely close skill wise.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
2 questions.

What is a cap. As in "David Beckham will earn his 90th international cap"

Also, I have heard announcers say two different things. In the world cup if you get a yellow do you miss the next game?

English on tour

Reaction score
swd1974 said:
2 questions.

Also, I have heard announcers say two different things. In the world cup if you get a yellow do you miss the next game?

when you play and international you get given a cap (more of a flat cap with gold tassle IIRC than baseball style) with that has your name and the number of games you have played for your country! - i'll try to find you a picture!

i would imagine it would be two yellows to miss athe next game as usual in the world cup!

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
2 questions.

A cap is an appearance for an international team in sports like soccer, rugby... because originally, caps (i.e. headgear) were given to the players involved in these games to distinguish the teams (the concept of national shirt didn't exist yet). Actual caps disappeared, but the name stayed.

The accumulation of 2 yellow cards results in a 1 game suspension. Yellow cards count is reseted to 0 after the first round IIRC, but the player who received 2 yellow during the 3 games of the first round will be suspended for the first game of the second round.

Last edited:

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Ollie said:
A cap is an appearance for an international team in sports like soccer, rugby... because originally, caps (i.e. headgear) were given to the players involved in these games to distinguish the teams (the concept of national shirt didn't exist yet). Actual caps disappeared, but the name stayed.

Interesting. I had no idea. :thumbup:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
English on tour said:
when you play and international you get given a cap (more of a flat cap with gold tassle IIRC than baseball style) with that has your name and the number of games you have played for your country! - i'll try to find you a picture!

i would imagine it would be two yellows to miss athe next game as usual in the world cup!

Awesome thx English.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
For some of us Americans:

World Cup, USA style
By Eric Wilbur, Boston.com Staff

Faithful reader Cormac Eklof (notice the last name is a certain Red Sox pitcher in reverse, minus the “u”), who happens to be the winningest pitcher in Irish baseball history, is excited to hear that we’re giving football (not soccer, he’s adamant about that) a chance here in the States with the World Cup upon us. In fact, he’s drawn up a rather extensive cheat sheet that compares each quad to an American sports counterpart to make our immersion all the more smooth. Check it out ...

Group A

Germany -- The Detroit Pistons 2006. A defensive team, built on some powerful players, but playing with a huge psychological weight (Germany is expected to do well being the home team, much as Detroit was the defending Beast of the East). Outlook grim for those watching and for the Germans themselves, who should show us a new level of defensive, terrified play.

Poland -- The current Baltimore Ravens squad. Ostensibly a defensive team, but without any real defensive ability. Should be offensive to watch.

Group B

England -- The 2000-06 New York Mets. Massively, ridiculously overrated by their local media, always involved in some sort of comical downfall, insane injuries, woeful management. A huge car crash waiting to happen, at which stage the local media go absolutely berserk in berating the team that they themselves told literally everyone was going to win the tournament

Sweden -- The 2005 Baltimore Orioles or the 2006 Detroit Tigers. Potential dark horses until they have to play decent teams.

Group C

Argentina -- The 2005 Chicago White Sox. Nowhere near as colorful as their illustrious neighbors (The Cubbies/Brazil), but built to perform as a team. They just keep on winning.

Ivory Coast -- Syracuse hoops team, 2006. Colorful, talented, might make a decent run, might get knocked out in the first round, Didier Drogba is Gerry McNamara.

Serbia -- The Pistons from the ‘90s. REALLY dour, defensive and brought up in the school of hard knocks. Maybe you'll beat them, but you'll know about it physically after.

Netherlands -- Ladies and gentlemen your New York Knicks. A collection of individuals rather than a team, simmering below the surface is the local media waiting to pounce on first year coach and former god Van Basten, his decisions are Isiah-like in leaving out several stars, including the potentially influential Van Bommel. Could get buried early in the hardest group by far.

Group D

Mexico -- The 2005 Astros or the 2006 Seahawks. Not quite sure how they got here, just kinda happy to be here, and not entirely sure they will actually do anything while here.

Portugal -- The Yankees post-2004. An impressive collection of names under possibly one of the best coaches in the game (Big Phil Scolari/Joe Torre). Destined to look pretty and crash horribly, ala NY in 2004 and Portugal in the European Championships.

Group E

Italy -- Peyton Manning. High hopes lead to low yields.

USA -- Phoenix Suns 2006. Pacey, unbelievably fit, and play an alien style that should confuse many teams. If everyone stays fit the Yanks could go deeper than expected.

Czech Republic -- The Yankees of 2006. Huge injury problems should lead to an early exit ... but ... you just don't know ...

Group F

Brazil - The Yankees of the late ‘90s. If they avoid injuries, forget about it.

Croatia -- The 2006 Steelers. Tough team from a hard knock school of learning; no one will want to draw them in later rounds.

Group G

France -- Ladies and gentlemen, your 2004 Boston Red Sox. An experienced, talented bunch of individuals who know how to win and could very well do it again. Thierry Henry is Pedro Martinez whilst Zinidine Zidane is Schilling.

Switzerland -- I don't know anything about the NHL but name any boring, bad NHL team and this is who the Swiss are. I hope France puts 9 past them.

Group H

Spain -- Alex Rodriguez. They will look excellent in initial league play, will probably tear Tunisia and the Saudis apart, might even make Ukraine look silly, but will choke harder than the 2004 Yankees when push comes to shove.

Ukraine -- The 2005 Dallas Mavericks. They go as their superstar striker, and genuine world beater, Andrei Schevchenko, goes. He is Dirk to them, if he twists his ankle the Ukrainian nation holds its breath.

Korea, Togo, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia, Ghana, Australia, Japan, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Paraguay, Iran -- Any first round exiting team in March Madness.

Trinidad and Tobago, Angola -- The Kansas City Royals

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
Pretty accurate comparisons excepted for Germany (hardly a defensive team, they already surrendered a goal to Costa-Rica by the way). And I hope that France will be the 2004 Red Sox and not the 2005.