2009 San Francisco 49ers "Season" thread!!

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
But recently there seems to be a growing undercurrent of, "Seriously, check out the new Alex Smith!"
UH-OH!:(
Is Smith really more mature and confident, or did he simply read the book, "Unleash Your Inner Bad-Ass Quarterback?"
Smith now acts like he belongs, like he knows where the team gum-bowl is. (There is a bowl for chewing gum in the locker room, near the equipment room, although Singletary has replaced the gum with nails.)
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/06/10/SPO0184C3F.DTL

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Singletary busted Crabtree for false start
Turns out the rehab running Michael Crabtree did on Monday wasn't exactly the first time he's hoofed it since his March foot surgery. "I remember the first day we came out here for a minicamp (in May), and he was over there running routes," Mike Singletary said today of his rookie wideout. "I said, 'What the heck are you doing? You're not supposed to be out here. Who told you to come out here?' And we got that straight, but he was almost in tears. I said I've got nothing against you. I'm not angry at you or anything. I just want you to know that you have to do everything the doctors want you to do so that you can get better."
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblog...ingletary-bust.html?mi_rss=49ers Blog and Q&A

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bring on the raiders!
49ers ‘pretty close’ to securing play date with Raiders.
Coach Mike Singletary said the 49ers are “pretty close” to an agreement on another training camp workout with the Raiders. Like last year, the 49ers would travel to the Raiders’ camp in Napa for a one-day session as a way of breaking up the summer routine. “Guys get a little tired of lining up against the same guys,’’ Singletary said. “You love each other, on the other hand you think, ‘I’m tired of seeing you.’’’

The practices would not be open to the public.
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2009/06/11/49ers-pretty-close-to-securing-play-date-with-raiders/

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
After chatting with other Whiners fans I've come to the conclusion that it very well could be Alex Smith and actually more want Smith than Hill right now. :p
I know.:(
If you ask them why they want Alex as the quarterback they will give you these reasons:
OMGZ! Alex Smith has sooooooo much potential!:shock:
Alex Smith will prove the haters wrong, just watch!:|
Alex Smith is only 24 yrs old.:bigyawn:
It's not Smith's fault that he sucks, It's Mike Nolans fault!:violin:

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Matt Maiocco weighs in on the reciever situations
It's not the best group of receivers the 49ers have ever assembled. Obviously, Rice and Taylor trumps all.

:D

(And if you don't believe me, try to name seven better receivers who have been on the roster at the same time.)
:)
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers...ue-with-deepest-wr-group-in-club-history.html
The reason Crabtree is No. 3 is because nobody has seen him run a route and catch a pass.

<FONT face=Arial>
At some point real soon, it would not surprise me if Bruce is no longer one of the team's best two receivers. (I think Morgan will have the better year.)

Last edited:

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
Matt Maiocco weighs in on the reciever situations
Quote:
It's not the best group of receivers the 49ers have ever assembled. Obviously, Rice and Taylor trumps all.

You must be registered for see images

Quote:
(And if you don't believe me, try to name seven better receivers who have been on the roster at the same time.)

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...b-history.html
Quote:
The reason Crabtree is No. 3 is because nobody has seen him run a route and catch a pass.

<FONT face=Arial> Quote:
At some point real soon, it would not surprise me if Bruce is no longer one of the team's best two receivers. (I think Morgan will have the better year.)
Agreed! This team isn't even in the same ballpark as those 80s and 90s teams. Rice and Taylor trumps Rice & T.O? Maybe not when Rice was healthy?
Bruce will probably retire the same year as Kurt (2 years).

Total Blah post! I expect better from you Ronin. :mulli:

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed! This team isn't even in the same ballpark as those 80s and 90s teams. Rice and Taylor trumps Rice & T.O? Maybe not when Rice was healthy?
Bruce will probably retire the same year as Kurt (2 years).

Total Blah post! I expect better from you Ronin. :mulli:
It's the offseason, so I still have time to sharpen my post skills!
This thread has already reached 9 pages, keep up the good work!:thumbup::cheers::shades:

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Putting all my disgust for Alex Smith aside for a moment to read this article:
While the scales heading into training camp appear to be tilted in Hill's favor, it's too early in the process to count out Smith. The former No. 1 pick is finally recovered from the shoulder injuries that have plagued him for two seasons, and he is beginning to display the talent that made him worthy of the lofty selection during the team's summer workouts. Team officials have been effusive in the praise of Smith's play during workouts, and the young signal-caller is beginning to display more confidence on the field.
Some of Smith's self-assurance could stem from the fact that Raye's system is eerily similar to the scheme used by Norv Turner in 2006. In that season, Smith completed a career-high 58.1 percent of his passes while throwing 16 touchdowns and compiling a 74.8 passer rating on his way to leading the team to a 7-9 record. Although those numbers aren't stellar, they represented a solid start for a young quarterback learning a new offense. With Smith returning to the offense where he enjoyed his most success, it's not out of the realm of possibility for him to supplant Hill as the team's starter.
In championship fights, they say that the challenger must knock out the champ. We'll soon see if Smith is capable of delivering the haymaker that changes the course of the 49ers' quarterback competition.

He makes a decent point.....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810cdb7a&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score
We'll just have to see how he performs in the preseason. He's probably got the job right now unless he struggles. I think he probably will, but considering he was the #1 just a few years ago he's probably in the drivers seat. :shrug:

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Singletary pleased as spring drills reach end

Shaun Hill, who ended last season as the starter, has also continued to show improvement.

While Singletary said he is encouraged with what he's seen from Smith, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2005 draft, he said it is way too early to read anything into the improvements.

Veteran receiver Isaac Bruce said he is fine with a role as a mentor, as long as he keeps his conversation to a minimum. He said the best advice he can give a youngster is just to watch.

"When I came in, there were guys who had been in the league for a while, guys like Flipper Anderson, and if I was interested in being a good receiver in the NFL, I think he was a good guy that I could watch," Bruce said. "I didn't really have to talk to him, I could just watch what he did and just do the same things that he did and get the same results. So, if I'm a mentor, I'll be that. If I'm not, I'm not."
Defensive lineman Kentwan Balmer, who had a less-than promising rookie season, is a player Singletary has been raving about.

Singletary said he tried to keep the veterans away from the minicamp after the draft that was designed for rookies and first-year players. "He was the only veteran I could not run off," Singletary said.

Singletary said he spoke with Balmer's defensive line coach at North Carolina, John Blake, who told him Balmer was "very raw." Singletary said that was an understatement. But toward the end of last season, he said he began to understand why 49ers general manager Scot McCloughan selected Balmer at the end of the first round.

The 49ers are serious about returning to more of a power-running attack this season under offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye. That is the main reason the club brought back fullback Moran Norris.

With Norris as the lead-blocker in 2006, running back Frank Gore rushed for 1,695 yards, a franchise record. Gore fully endorsed the move to re-sign his good buddy.

"As a team, we're trying to be physical, and that's what he is," Gore said. He also said the two have developed a good rapport on the field. "If he does something wrong, I give him a look," he said. "If I do something wrong, he give me a look. I know his technique and how he blocks."

http://sfo.scout.com/2/872366.html
:thumbup:

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
He's Back!

Where Norris goes, Gore will follow
After a few weeks of unemployment, Norris had spent most of the 2008 season with the Detroit Lions, whose 0-16 season might have been miserable, "but it beats sitting at home watching the games on TV," Norris said.
Whenever he could, he watched the 49ers and tried to fight off frustration. Norris and Gore talked to each other every week. Five years apart in age, they had bonded early in the '06 season, when they both began the year as second-teamers and worked their way up. Pretty soon, they were driving to games together, sharing meals regularly and putting 1,695 yards on Gore's resume.
Their rapport, they say, allows them to read each other's movements in advance. Each knows instinctively how the other will react to a given situation.
When Gore reached the Pro Bowl in 2006, he took Norris as his guest. A 49ers scrapbook from the week in Hawaii shows the two buddies side by side, wearing orchid leis and flashing peace signs.
At least once a week, Gore said, he can count on a home-cooked meal, courtesy of Norris' wife, Tamara. Next week, the Morans will host their annual football camp, which functions as a fundraiser for their foundation, aimed at helping at-risk youth in their native Houston get through school.
Several 49ers have volunteered to attend and help coach the kids, including tight end Vernon Davis and wide receiver Arnaz Battle. Gore is a regular, faithfully following Norris' lead.
E-mail Gwen Knapp http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/06/15/SPA5187H74.DTLat [email protected].
:rockon:

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score
My point was since he was your 3rd round pick, he better get a few. :p

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know but Gore does better with less carries, Just look at his 2006 season.
Coffee will get his chance to shine.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nine days of minicamp and 12 of OTAs. What did we learn about the 49ers this spring?
... That they have a true quarterback competition when training camp begins. Does Alex Smith's resurgence change the pecking order at quarterback? No. It still goes like this: Shaun Hill = No. 1, Alex Smith = No. 2, Damon Huard = No. 3, Nate Davis = No. 4. But it does mean that Mike Singletary's hope for a competition that squeezes the best out of both players, Hill and Smith, is a reality.

... That the 49ers are loaded at wide receiver. If I had to vote for an MVP of the spring practices, I might write down Josh Morgan's name. While the rest of his mates were either nursing injuries or working out at home, Morgan was all over the field, catching passes in April, May and June at multiple positions and from multiple quarterbacks. It was also significant that Morgan took the bulk of his snaps at "Z" after primarily playing "X" last season. My guess is that when the season begins, Isaac Bruce will be the starter at "Z" and Morgan will be back at "X." When Michael Crabtree is ready to step in, however, he'll likely do so at "X," giving the 49ers the option of playing either Morgan or Bruce at "Z."
... That Vernon Davis will be a bigger part of the passing game. Outgoing 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Martz was on NFL Network the other day. Asked about Davis, Martz called him the consummate tight in the NFL and the league's best in-line blocker at his position. Martz, however, seemed to use Davis as either an offensive tackle or a wide receiver. His role under Jimmy Raye promises to be more tight end-like - catching short and intermediary passes and turning up field.
... That the 49ers should have more interceptions than they did last season when they finished with 12. Both Dashon Goldson and Dre' Bly (who either will be a starter or a nickel cornerback) are ball hawks. Linebacker Manny Lawson, who promises to be on the field far more in 2009, also has shown a knack for getting his hands on the ball. Over/under on 49ers' INTs this season: 17.
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblog...iners-primaver.html?mi_rss=49ers Blog and Q&A
Matt Barrows.....:thumbup:

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score
I hope he's, but I have a feeling he might not be. We'll just have to wait until the preseason to see how everything unfolds.

It's nice to not have such question and have someone everyone is completely behind like the Cardinals have.
:grabs:

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers...ort-with-six-weeks-until-49ers-open-camp.html
--In conclusion, I was generally impressed with what I saw during these offseason workouts. Of course, after the quality of football I've watched the past six years, maybe my standards are a little skewed. I do believe the 49ers have the potential to be a good team. The success of the 49ers will be determined, mostly, by the performances of their offensive coordinator, quarterback and pass rush. And, frankly, there are big questions about each of those spots

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Going into the 2007 draft, there was a certain element on the 49ers' coaching staff - one that included Mike Singletary - who didn't want to take Willis.
:shock::mad:
It took GM Scot McCloughan, who is not an emotional guy, giving an impassioned defense of Willis to tilt the room in his favor. I wasn't there, but it sounds like McCloughan's finest moment to date.
:fans:
In truth, Willis does seem small. When you seek him out following a game in which he has made 20 tackles, you expect him to be 10-feet tall and to be wearing a red cape. Instead, you're looking at him (more or less) in the eye. He's the most talented player to wear a 49ers uniform since Terrell Owens left town. The only thing that would keep him from a stellar career, dare I say, a Hall-of-Fame career, would be injuries. Which is why the 49ers are building their defense to protect Willis like they would an offense to protect a quarterback.
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblog...patrick-willis.html?mi_rss=49ers Blog and Q&A

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chad Johnson Ochocinco tweeted on his twitter page that Frank Gore will rush for 1700 yards this season. Here is what Ocho had to say:
Just finished training with Frank Gore at South Florida gym, can we say 1,700 hundred yards!!!! Niner fans get ready
:cool::cheers:
Someone tell Ochocinco to stop being a homer!