2009 San Francisco 49ers "Season" thread!!

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to our world.
The NFL needs a rookie salary.

The difference is the players on this team have proven they have what it take to produce at this level. :p
Chris Wells has done more than Michael Crabtree in the NFL?
:confused:I'm confused are we still talking about rookies, or something else.

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score

Beanie Wells just signed! :p

I was talking about Boldin wanting Fitz like money and Crabtree wanting more money than the amount typical of where he was drafted.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Has Crabtree run the 40 yet? ;)

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Going to Phoenix on Friday to buy my tickets to the 49ers/Cardinals game, and visit my Grandma. Woohoo!:fans:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say, I agree with Ratto. :D

Crabtree should hold out the season and go back in the draft.
I agree they don't need him. Pound sand Crab. Josh Morgan and whoever are clearly good enough for whatshisname to throw to on third and 8.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcwest/0-9-533/Something-to-write-about-in-49ers--QB-race.html
With that out of the way, the 49ers presumably saw clear differences Wednesday between quarterback candidates Alex Smith and Shaun Hill. A few things I saw:
  • <LI sizset="116" sizcache="0">Alex Smith showed off his superior arm strength, repeatedly throwing downfield strikes for touchdowns. The fun began when Smith found Vernon Davis for a 40-yard touchdown near the left sideline with Manny Lawson close by in coverage. It's not every play you see three recent 49ers first-round choices coming together that way. <LI sizset="118" sizcache="0">The play of the day -- and possibly of camp, according to those who have seen every practice -- was probably Smith's long touchdown pass to Isaac Bruce down the middle of the field. A lesser receiver might have given up on the route. Smith threw the ball high. Bruce stretched both hands high to make an overhead grab near the goal line. Beautiful.
  • Smith later found tight end Delanie Walker for a 40-yard touchdown near the right sideline, followed by a shorter touchdown pass to Davis.
Well at least Smith isn't overthrowing/underthrowing on the deep ball, like he used.....good to know.:)

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If an agent makes a splash with a contract in 2009, he'll advertise it in neon lights to reel in the top players in 2010. If he doesn't make a splash, you can bet that his competitors will use that against him.

Second, Al Davis really botched things up for Crabtree. Heading into the draft, Crabtree was supposed to be the top wide receiver taken. When the Raiders drafted Darrius Heyward-Bey at No. 7, it was a blow to Crabtree (and his agent), one for which they are trying to make amends with a big contract.
The Raiders then compounded the problem by giving Heyward-Bey a massive contract. According to reports, his deal calls for $23.5 million in guaranteed money. The No. 1 overall pick last year, Jake Long, got $30 million guaranteed.
Crabtree thinks he's better than Heyward-Bey, and he wants to make more money than Heyward-Bey. The sheer magnitude of Heyward-Bey's contract makes what was an overly ambitious goal that much more difficult.
Lastly, there's a perception around the league that the 49ers can be pushed around in these sorts of matters.
They have a young power structure headed by 28–year-old Jed York. They got bullied a few years ago with the Lance Briggs tampering issue. And most of all, they've had six consecutive losing seasons. Only the Detroit Lions have suffered longer.
And this is where things get sticky. York is trying to change culture and perception of the organization. He and the 49ers can't cave in to Crabtree's demands because that only perpetuates that sense of weakness.
Furthermore, the 49ers don't need to capitulate.
But the first few days of 49ers training camp have been marked by solid play by the receivers. Isaac Bruce looks competent as usual. Josh Morgan is making dazzling one-handed grabs. Brandon Jones seems to haul in a 35-yard reception every practice. Throw in Jason Hill, Arnaz Battle, Dominique Zeigler and Micheal Spurlock, and this is by far the deepest the 49ers' receiving corps has been in 10 years.
At this point, Crabtree is gravy. So let the count continue.
http://www.sacbee.com/sf49ers/story/2086791.html?mi_rss=49ers
Yes! dig your cleats deeper into the ground 49ers and don't give into Crabtree's contract demands.

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
Interesting to note that J.J. Stokes was also a 10th pick in the 1st round.
Coincidence? :shrug:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
But the first few days of 49ers training camp have been marked by solid play by the receivers. Isaac Bruce looks competent as usual. Josh Morgan is making dazzling one-handed grabs. Brandon Jones seems to haul in a 35-yard reception every practice. Throw in Jason Hill, Arnaz Battle, Dominique Zeigler and Micheal Spurlock, and this is by far the deepest the 49ers' receiving corps has been in 10 years.

Come on. That group is average at best. There aren't any, with the possible exception of Morgan, game changers on that team.