2010-2011 season thread

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gritty win for the Yotes tonight in Anaheim, 5-3, responding to each Duck goal quickly and emphatically. Korpikoski with a beauty to make it 3-2 Yotes. Huge two points in regulation moves them into a tie with Dallas for the 4th spot in the conference with 83 points, although Dallas has a game in hand.

Go get em in Calgary. Yip yip!

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Huge win for the Coyotes as they travel to Calgary and beat the Flames 4-3 and sweep the season series.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like they're tied for 4th with the Kings as of tonight

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
yeah - thinks still really getting crunched .... there is starting to be some separation towards the 8 spot .... even with games in hand the yotes are ahead of some of the teams behind them, with all things remaining equal

sweeping the flames is huge - they can't have a letdown against edmonton though

here is the remaining schedule:

3/17 @ edmonton
3/18 @ vancouver
3/20 - chicago
3/22 - st. louis
3/24 - columbus
3/26 - san jose
3/29 - dallas
4/1 - colorado
4/6 @ kings
4/8 - san jose
4/9 @ san jose

that vancouver game looks pretty tough - but overall a fairly workable schedule - most of it is at home - games agaisnt some teams that they should beat .... pivotal games against dallas, chicago & LA ..... 3 against the team they are chasing for the division, including what could be a very impactful back to back to end the season

phoenix has played the sharks close the past couple years, but haven't had much success ..... i think those games could get a little chippy and have a definite playoff feel

those last 3 games are shaping up to be an adventure - hopefully they have a spot lined up by then and it's just a matter of seeding

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yotes get an important 2 points with the 3-1 win over Edmonton, with Canucks up tomorrow night, but what a boring, sloppy, disinterested game ot watch! 9 penalties on the Coyotes. I know it is tough to get up for the Oilers, with most of their stars hurt, but wow that was a stinker. 2 points is 2 points, I guess.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was hoping for a split on this road trip but I am happy with three wins. Not expecting them to win tonight against Vancouver but you never know. Coyotes have a long home stand starting this Sunday and hoping they can get eight points or more.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What a road trip! The Coyotes go into Vancouver and win 3-1 to finish the road trip 4-0. The game was 0-0 in the 3rd period when the Coyotes scored two power play goals thanks to a 5-minute major. Big props to LaBarbera, who played great. Jason hasn't been in goal since that thrashing in Tampa, so it was nice to see him bounce back.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Yep. HUGE game from Barbs, stopping 46/47! Couldn't get over how big he came up in the 5-3 and the remaining 5-4. Way to go Barbs! Also, Doaner played a great game, as did Yandle on the PP.

I don't know about anyone else but I am SICK of Aucoin taking all of these stupid penalties. That guy is killing me.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's looking like we're all going to look back at the Detroit game and see it as the turning point in the season. After losing 5 in a row and being down 4-1, they have gone unbeaten in seven straight games, with the only blemish being an overtime loss against Vancouver. The last two games were ugly, but considering how poorly the western Canada swing usually goes for the Coyotes, you'll gladly take the points any way they come. There are just nine games left, and one point behind San Jose with three games left between the two (SJ does have a game in hand). The last two games of the season is a home and home series, which could very well be for the division.

Six game homestand now, hopefully the building will be rocking.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Tough loss tonight at Jobing.com to the Hawks. Let in two PP goals and that was all it took, falling 2-1. Bryz was awesome outside of the first goal, which he had perfect view of and time to prepare. Just whiffed on it. Let's start another win streak on Tuesday. Just 8 games remaining in the regular season grind.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Coyotes with the big bad shut out 3-0 on the Bluejackets, Bryz ties club record with his 21st shut out. :)

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hopefully they can win 2 of the next 3 home games.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Big game for the Coyotes on right now, Beat LA!

From the Coyotes site

The Coyotes will attempt to clinch a berth in the Stanley Cup Playoffs tonight when they play the Los Angeles Kings at the Staples Center. The puck drops at 7:30 p.m. (Arizona time).

Phoenix (42-25-12) and Los Angeles (45-28-6) both have 96 points in the Western Conference standings, and the winner of this game will secure a spot in the postseason

Edit Stempy rules!

Last edited:

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Coyotes led 2-1 in the second until Yandle completely folded and allowed a 2 on 1 rush which tied the game. Yotes lose in the shootout. LA clinches while the Yotes now have to face the Sharks twice needing at least a point to make the playoffs - or a loss by Dallas.

Huge game and defense really let the team down tonight, imo. There is no puck support - it is always 1 on 4 when the Coyotes bring it in. It gets frustrating to watch.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
no one beats Quick in a shootout ... that guy is amazing in those

I really hope it isn't sharks/coyotes in the 1st round as I really would like to cheer for the yotes to get a playoff victory

they should be safe to get in though, but stranger things have happened

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
no one beats Quick in a shootout ... that guy is amazing in those

I really hope it isn't sharks/coyotes in the 1st round as I really would like to cheer for the yotes to get a playoff victory

they should be safe to get in though, but stranger things have happened

Last night's shootout loss sucked. It should of never gotten to that point. As for the playoffs, I am worried they will face Detroit once again in the first round. I would rather see them play LA or San Jose.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
LA would be a good matchup, Nashville would be a good matchup (although their goalie can go on scary good streaks)

I'm biased, but I think they'd match up better against detroit than SJ - especially since detroit isn't completely solid in net (IMO)

The ducks would be tough for anyone - moreso if hiller gets going .... they have such a good top line and some good blueliners .... depth maybe not so much

should be interesting to see how it all sorts out .... then even more interesting when the whole thing gets going

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Huge game tonight! Wish it were on national tv. Yotes need a point in these last 2 games againts the Sharks, but 3-4 would be ideal to try to get back to that 4/5 spot.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Glad to see the 'yotes secure a spot .... couldn't bring myself to watch this one ... tommorrow could be tough as well

I really want the sharks to get the #2 seed ... detroit lost so they're still a point up on the winged wheel

However, i'd like to see the 'yotes in the 4-6 range .. preferably playing nashville, LA or the ducks

Standings are just too tight though ... coyotes lose tommorrow they could still finish 8th (if the ducks/kings are a 3 point game in favor of anaheim

If they lose outright they cannot jump nashville, and the ducks, kings & blackhawks would all move ahead of them if they won

I keep trying to come up with my dream scenario where the sharks are #2, the 'yotes get a good matchup (beatable team that won't overrun the stadium) and the sharks avoid a couple of the really tough matchups ...... but I just don't see it

way too much to even figure it out - tommorrow should be fun, tommorow night even better when the dust settles

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Went to the game tonight... found out im a horrible negotitor and got taken to the cleaners by a scalper, but it was my son's first hockey game so i justified it that way..

my goodness what a game that was, the atmosphere was electric and really imo, the most exciting game i have seen this season..

The one thing i was most impressed with is how the coyotes fought, it was a playoff atmosphere, and they punched SJ in the mouth early and stayed on them throughout...

That being said, even though we won tonight i am not holding my breathe for tomorrow, and that sucks, because we NEED to win tomorrow and yet i keep getting back to the worst case scereno where we meet them in the 1st round and lose in 5...

But whatever, tonight was awesome, one of the best expierece i have ever had live at a game...