2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup: Trip to the CONFED CUP

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The US' forwards don't scare me as much as the midfield does. Dempsey and Donovan are more consistent than any midfielders we've got. They're able to keep possession, create for themselves, and fire from distance. I don't think we've faced anything like that yet, and that could give us fits.

As far as our strengths go, I think our midfielders have a good edge over your LB and RB... Bocanegra and whoever the heck you decide to line up against Chich will have a long night.

Prediction 2-1. Mexico.

To me our best and most consistent player this tournament has been our RB(Cherundolo), both our outside backs (Lichaj being the other) have speed and position themselves well, Mexico will have to beat us through the middle, Bocanegra is good on set pieces and in the air but his foot speed is terrible and Goodson, while he has had an OK tournament, is just an average player at best. Expect the 4-2-3-1 again with less attacking runs from the outside backs and Jones & Bradley lying deeper back just ahead of the centerbacks to disrupt any rhythm the Mexican attacks has. This will put a lot of pressure on whoever the 3 is (I am guessing/hoping Bedoya, Dempsey & Donovan) to provide any semblance of attack...I am guessing the US will look to delay, disrupt and play for the counter and hope that they frustrate the Mexicans and force set pieces in dangerous areas.

My guess 1-0 Mexico...unfortunately. Our offense has been anemic and I have no faith in Bob Bradley to have the team prepared to play from the opening whistle.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's hold onto the praise a little bit more, eh? I agree that the Adu sub was phenomenal, though I hated it at the time...obviously coach knew more than we thought we did about Adu. He completely flubbed it by not starting Donovan, though. Utterly and completely. Face it--he had to use a sub to make up for his mistake, and that could have really cost us.

Still and all, excellent result. I'm quite glad that Adu did as well as he did. I still think Klestjan (sp?) and Clark are garbage, but I also realize, IMO, that Bradley shouldn't be our coach. Since he is, I expect him to make crappy decisions and fixate on the completely wrong players at times.

I don't believe that Donovan should have been starting. He has been invisible for most of the tournament. He also has done squat as the service man on set pieces. Donovan's best two games came when he started on the bench.

I had a pitchfork in hand calling for his resignation after the World Cup. I felt the same way after the group stage. These past two games though, Bradley has shown me something. I still think he needs to go, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt for this final.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't believe that Donovan should have been starting. He has been invisible for most of the tournament. He also has done squat as the service man on set pieces. Donovan's best two games came when he started on the bench.

I had a pitchfork in hand calling for his resignation after the World Cup. I felt the same way after the group stage. These past two games though, Bradley has shown me something. I still think he needs to go, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt for this final.

Just can't agree with you. Donovan is a hell of a good player, and unless he offers nothing any more (clearly, this is not the case), he plays--period. It's like saying Kurt Warner, when he was with us, had a bad stretch, so he shouldn't start. Um, no, you start him every game, if he is healthy. And, to our knowledge, Donovan is healthy.

Clearly Bradley realized his mistake. Guys don't usually get subbed in after the half unless someone really has to come out, or the coach realizes he really needs to get that guy in.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just can't agree with you. Donovan is a hell of a good player, and unless he offers nothing any more (clearly, this is not the case), he plays--period. It's like saying Kurt Warner, when he was with us, had a bad stretch, so he shouldn't start. Um, no, you start him every game, if he is healthy. And, to our knowledge, Donovan is healthy.

Clearly Bradley realized his mistake. Guys don't usually get subbed in after the half unless someone really has to come out, or the coach realizes he really needs to get that guy in.

How did he learn his mistake when he didn't start Donovan for the 2nd consecutive game? Not understanding your logic here.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Donovan was mostly invisible until the pass. Adu has more composure and creativity on the ball then any other options up top, I wouldn't be shocked to see him get more minutes. The team could use more of his ball handling and creativity.

Stout

Reaction score
How did he learn his mistake when he didn't start Donovan for the 2nd consecutive game? Not understanding your logic here.

Like I said, you don't sub a player out right at the half unless he's injured, doing a horrific job, or unless you know you made a mistake in benching a player. It's less of a big screw-up than starting Clark in that WC game (and pulling him in the--I think it was the 23rd--minute), but the same kind of mistake. In that game, Clark should never have started. In this last one, Donovan should have.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I said, you don't sub a player out right at the half unless he's injured, doing a horrific job, or unless you know you made a mistake in benching a player. It's less of a big screw-up than starting Clark in that WC game (and pulling him in the--I think it was the 23rd--minute), but the same kind of mistake. In that game, Clark should never have started. In this last one, Donovan should have.
To be fair, Kljestan fell under this category for the Panama game. He was dreadful, playing no where near as well as he did against Jamaica.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm still not really sure LD being benched was disciplinary action or a tactical move. He's always been good vs Mexico, IMO, it would be best for the US to start him.

Stout

Reaction score
Personally, yes. Stick with what has worked.

Yeah, it didn't work in our last game, so I would say he will start.

I'm still not really sure LD being benched was disciplinary action or a tactical move. He's always been good vs Mexico, IMO, it would be best for the US to start him.

Maybe there was something else to the benching. We'll just never know. Regardless, yes, I agree--Donovan should definitely start on Saturday.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it didn't work in our last game, so I would say he will start.

Maybe there was something else to the benching. We'll just never know. Regardless, yes, I agree--Donovan should definitely start on Saturday.

We must be watching different games. Donovan has played like crap when he has started and well off of the bench. It has worked.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Guardado and Salcido questionable for tomorrow's game with injuries. Uh oh.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soccer by Ives says: 1-Howard, 3-Bocanegra-C, 4-Bradley, 6-Cherundolo, 8-Dempsey, 10-Donovan, 13-Jones, 14-Lichaj, 20-Adu, 21-Goodson, 22- Bedoya

So yes Donovan, plus Adu

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Soccer by Ives says: 1-Howard, 3-Bocanegra-C, 4-Bradley, 6-Cherundolo, 8-Dempsey, 10-Donovan, 13-Jones, 14-Lichaj, 20-Adu, 21-Goodson, 22- Bedoya

So yes Donovan, plus Adu

If anyone was wondering what Mexico's lineup would be, here it is:

GK: Talavera LB: Salcido RB: Juarez CB: Moreno CB: Rafa DM:Torrado DM:Castro M:Guardado M:Barrera M:Gio FW:Chicharito

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
USA!!!!

Wow.... Some brass balls with the Adu start. I will give Bradley credit for that. Let's see if his attacking and decision making will make up for his mental lapses and defensive shortcomings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake