2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup: Trip to the CONFED CUP

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Speak of the devil.

Looked like it was deflected by a Jamaican. Own goal?

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good game going on between El Salvador and Panama, now on the first 15min period of additional time.

Winner meets US in the next round.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Donovan was in California for a wedding earlier this week. Dempsey was elsewhere for the same reason. I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Donovan was in California for a wedding earlier this week. Dempsey was elsewhere for the same reason. I don't know if that had anything to do with it.
Yeah, they were both at their respective sister's weddings but it wasn't supposed to interfere with today's game. Donovan looked much more dangerous in his 30ish minutes today than he has at any other time this tournament, so all's well that ends well.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Just got back from RFK, I only saw the first half of the Panama/El Sal game as I have to work tonight.

I thought the US came out with a lot more energy today than I had seen in a long time. They still have a problem in the attacking third but they controlled the game for the most part. Also it looks like we finally have a left back in Lichaj. I thought Bedoya played good too.

There were a TON of El Salvadoran's at the game, I had no idea there were so many in the DC area. They all seemed to be cheering on the US in the first game but absolutely went nuts in the second game.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Yeah, I heard on the Highlight Express show that Donovan didn't get back until 7am today. That would explain it. I was initially fuming at Bradley, but he was right on this one.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Just got back from RFK, I only saw the first half of the Panama/El Sal game as I have to work tonight.

I thought the US came out with a lot more energy today than I had seen in a long time. They still have a problem in the attacking third but they controlled the game for the most part. Also it looks like we finally have a left back in Lichaj. I thought Bedoya played good too.

There were a TON of El Salvadoran's at the game, I had no idea there were so many in the DC area. They all seemed to be cheering on the US in the first game but absolutely went nuts in the second game.

It was a sea of blue for that second game. El Salvador was in full force. I am still recovering from an awesome day in DC.

Stout

Reaction score
Is our Gold Cup game on Wednesday even going to be televised? I'm starting to panic. Fox Soccer Channel only has Gold Cup Soccer Semifinal: Teams to be announced, but that's at 9:30pm. Our game is at 7pm.

Seriously, if we can't get our own EFFING tourney's semifinal on TV, I'm going to throttle Gulati.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The game is supposed to be televised, this is from the US Soccer website...
U.S. Men

vs. Panama

Reliant Stadium; Houston, Texas

June 22, 2011 @ 6 p.m. CT

Fox Soccer, Univision

I can't believe that they couldn't find a way to show the other matches in English. Just because the US isn't playing doesn't mean they shouldn't be shown.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Is our Gold Cup game on Wednesday even going to be televised? I'm starting to panic. Fox Soccer Channel only has Gold Cup Soccer Semifinal: Teams to be announced, but that's at 9:30pm. Our game is at 7pm.

Seriously, if we can't get our own EFFING tourney's semifinal on TV, I'm going to throttle Gulati.

FSC will broadcast all US soccer matches. Here's their schedule

Stout

Reaction score
FSC will broadcast all US soccer matches. Here's their schedule

Yes, I know, I went there after it wasn't listed on my DirecTV menu. It doesn't have the U.S. game on there. It just has a GC Semifinal on at 9:30pm, which means it is the Mexico game (1/2 hour pre-game show). They had DAMNED well better just have a schedule screw-up, or just have not updated it by now.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
I sent this message to the Fox Soccer Channel website:

Hey, what's the deal with the Gold Cup Semi-final? The U.S. is supposed to be on at 7pm, and Mexico at 10pm, but you don't have the U.S. game listed in your TV listings, nor is it listed on DirecTV's menu. What gives? Have you just not updated your listings yet? Do NOT drop the ball on this!

Brandon

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I know, I went there after it wasn't listed on my DirecTV menu. It doesn't have the U.S. game on there. It just has a GC Semifinal on at 9:30pm, which means it is the Mexico game (1/2 hour pre-game show). They had DAMNED well better just have a schedule screw-up, or just have not updated it by now.

I assumed that semifinal would be the US game. Didn't think it'd be the Mexico match bc Univision bought the "exclusive rights" to all Mexico matches in the US up until 2014 not too long ago.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score

The last US game on Sunday didn't show up on my Dish Network guide at first. I'm not sure how Directs guide works, but I forced my guide to update and it appeared.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
I assumed that semifinal would be the US game. Didn't think it'd be the Mexico match bc Univision bought the "exclusive rights" to all Mexico matches in the US up until 2014 not too long ago.

It's supposedly there now, although I haven't had time to check. I think they may be airing the Mexico match, as it had a GC Semi-final match at 9:30, and the Mexico game is at 10. Also, are you saying that if it is a US/Mexico final, it would then only be on Univision? That would be a crime.

Edit: They must have just had the time wrong. They now list the U.S. game properly, and the Mexico game is just not on there.

Last edited:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Such an agreement would not include tournaments like the Gold Cup, whose rights are packaged separately.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we win, I think I'll try to catch the Mexico game on the CONCACAF website.

I believe that it is blacked out. (other games were)

You have to watch it on Univision.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
When did ESPN/ABC stop being the official broadcaster of the USMNT? I agree, it would be a crime if you didn't have an option to watch the USMNT game vs Mexico in English in your own country.

It makes sense when you think about how much $ Mexico brings in to the concacaf though. IIRC, I believe Mexico was only behind Brazil in the amount of $ the federations made in the previous WC. They have a ton of sponsors, mainly American, too. The previous info was brought up in a bar with one of my buddies whos a fan of the USMNT, we were both drunk. Don't quote me on anything. lol.