2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup: Trip to the CONFED CUP

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Yeah, I figured Altidore would be out for the duration. That really stinks, because he was really starting to play well so far.

My guess is to look for the 4-2-3-1 formation like we ran out against Jamaica, with Donovan in for either Bedoya or Kljestan.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Ok I was wrong, Donovan stays on the bench...

USA Starting Lineup:

-----------------------Agudelo------------------------

Bedoya-----------Kljestan-----------Dempsey

-------------Bradley--------Jones-------------------

Lichaj--Bocanegra---Goodson---Cherundolo

----------------------Howard--------------------------

USA Bench- Hahnemann, Edu, Donovan, Wondolowski, Bornstein, Ream, Adu

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That is a huge, huge mistake. I understand why Donovan didn't start the last game, but the whole 'don't change it 'cause it worked' excuse is really thin when you leave your best player (sans the keeper) on the bench because of it. I REALLY hope this doesn't come back to bite us, but I have a bad feeling about benching Donovan again. I think it is REALLY stupid.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
That is a huge, huge mistake. I understand why Donovan didn't start the last game, but the whole 'don't change it 'cause it worked' excuse is really thin when you leave your best player (sans the keeper) on the bench because of it. I REALLY hope this doesn't come back to bite us, but I have a bad feeling about benching Donovan again. I think it is REALLY stupid.

Unless Donovan has an undisclosed illness or injury I agree with you 100%, Donovan is at least twice the player Kljestan is.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really think Donovan is still hurt with whatever kept him out of the Spain game. He's been a shell of his normal self this entire tournament.

Stout

Reaction score
Well, Ricardo Clar--I mean, Jermaine Jones, sucks just like he usually does, and will probably get a yellow. Klestjan (sp?) just plain sucks again, and Donovan is on the bench. No excuses, Bradley. Donovan sat because he only flew back to the team the day of the Jamaica game--that makes sense. Bradley suddenly thinking he's slick and sly sitting Donovan again for no supposed reason? Ugh.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Donovan in for Kljestan to start the half...at least Bradley didn't wait.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Nice ball from Freddy to Donovan and Dempsey times his run off the ball...good goal, about time.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice ball from Freddy to Donovan and Dempsey times his run off the ball...good goal, about time.

That was the best pass of the tournament there. Amazing job by Adu there.

Must applaud Bob Bradley here. He deserves praise for the moves he has made the past 2 games.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Well on to the final, still have to play better than we have so far. The play in the attacking third is really lacking.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Honduras coach says Chicharito will fear Honduras' defense.

Posted by Carlo Costly's twitter:
You must be registered for see images

ITS ON!!

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
That was the best pass of the tournament there. Amazing job by Adu there.

Must applaud Bob Bradley here. He deserves praise for the moves he has made the past 2 games.

Let's hold onto the praise a little bit more, eh? I agree that the Adu sub was phenomenal, though I hated it at the time...obviously coach knew more than we thought we did about Adu. He completely flubbed it by not starting Donovan, though. Utterly and completely. Face it--he had to use a sub to make up for his mistake, and that could have really cost us.

Still and all, excellent result. I'm quite glad that Adu did as well as he did. I still think Klestjan (sp?) and Clark are garbage, but I also realize, IMO, that Bradley shouldn't be our coach. Since he is, I expect him to make crappy decisions and fixate on the completely wrong players at times.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Let's hold onto the praise a little bit more, eh? I agree that the Adu sub was phenomenal, though I hated it at the time...obviously coach knew more than we thought we did about Adu. He completely flubbed it by not starting Donovan, though. Utterly and completely. Face it--he had to use a sub to make up for his mistake, and that could have really cost us.

Still and all, excellent result. I'm quite glad that Adu did as well as he did. I still think Klestjan (sp?) and Clark are garbage, but I also realize, IMO, that Bradley shouldn't be our coach. Since he is, I expect him to make crappy decisions and fixate on the completely wrong players at times.

Not sure why you hated the Adu sub at the time..it was the right call(if a little late). Adu is an offensive guy, we needed a goal and the Panama defense was tired...nobody in our player pool has Adu's skills with the ball at his feet, he can be dangerous with space to work. His problem is fitness and lack of defense...he isn't a complete player.

The rest of what you wrote I pretty much agree with (although I think Jones is a better player than you think--he broke up pass after pass today and was really good against Jamaica).

Stout

Reaction score
I just remembered how badly Adu had flamed, and really didn't think that the Gold Cup Semi-Final was the place to try him out again. I can happily admit that I was wrong on that one.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I just remembered how badly Adu had flamed, and really didn't think that the Gold Cup Semi-Final was the place to try him out again. I can happily admit that I was wrong on that one.

I just wish the kid had been used earlier in the tourney, namely the Guadalupe game when things had slowed down and their defense was obviously tired....but we saw Kljestan come in instead (Adu didn't even dress so he wasn't an option). Creativity and improvisation are severely lacking in the US lineup (aside from flashes from Dempsey) and Adu gives us something we just don't have much of off the bench.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mex-Hon 0-0 FT.

Dos Santos with an epic miss to seal the deal. Mexico doesn't have the midfield to break through a bunker, if the US does this next round, good chance they win.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
2-0 Mex, it took awhile but they broke through.

Should be a good final.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Unfortunately the final will be like a Mexican home game. I bet 80/20 or 75/25 Mex to US fans in the Rose Bowl.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This game vs Honduras was 95-5 Mexicans and it didnt matter much. Mexico's weakness is playing against the bunker. If the US wants to win, they will need to bunker, and need to score early.

Hopefully the final isn't as dirty as this match was. Some players couldv'e been seriously injured tonight.

Stout

Reaction score
This game vs Honduras was 95-5 Mexicans and it didnt matter much. Mexico's weakness is playing against the bunker. If the US wants to win, they will need to bunker, and need to score early.

Hopefully the final isn't as dirty as this match was. Some players couldv'e been seriously injured tonight.

Sadly, I think you're right. I don't see us having much chance in this one. In the past, I think you've been out of your mind thinking Mexico were so much better than the U.S. The Gold Cup victory over our D squad particularly stands out. Now, this year, in this Gold Cup final? Looks like your A squad severely outclasses our A squad.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sadly, I think you're right. I don't see us having much chance in this one. In the past, I think you've been out of your mind thinking Mexico were so much better than the U.S. The Gold Cup victory over our D squad particularly stands out. Now, this year, in this Gold Cup final? Looks like your A squad severely outclasses our A squad.

Im actually kinda nervous... It seems as if the US has been getting stronger with every game, and Mexico is going the opposite way.

The US' forwards don't scare me as much as the midfield does. Dempsey and Donovan are more consistent than any midfielders we've got. They're able to keep possession, create for themselves, and fire from distance. I don't think we've faced anything like that yet, and that could give us fits.

As far as our strengths go, I think our midfielders have a good edge over your LB and RB... Bocanegra and whoever the heck you decide to line up against Chich will have a long night.

Prediction 2-1. Mexico.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake