2011 Draft: Jeremy Beal, LBer

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Get to know a little bit about LB prospect Jeremy Beal through a catch all.
(These kind of gatherers show a person how subjective scouting is.)
What's your take?

Vitals

OLBer
Ht: 6-2 Wt: 262
School: Oklahoma
POST COMBINE UPDATE w/ numbers!
40 yard dash: 5.16
Arm Length: 33
Hand Size: n/a
Reps on Bench w/ 225lbs: 21

You must be registered for see images

Check out the links for the full report!

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=62828
NFP said:
A compact pass rusher who coils up into his stance well and exhibits a good but not great first step off the snap. Has the ability to occasionally threaten the edge. However, it's his natural body control and suddenness that makes him really tough to block in the pass game. Does a nice job taking offensive tackles up the field and quickly breaking off a hard inside move, accelerating through the "B gap" and using a quick club to work his way free inside the blocker. However, he will allow himself to get a bit upright fighting his way through blocks at times and can be pushed past the play too easily once he gains a step. Has the ability to work from a two-point stance as well, but doesn't seem to get off the snap as well. Plus, he really struggles to defeat blocks once an opposing lineman gets into his frame.

Isn't overly instinctive vs. the run game and has a tendency to lose containment on misdirection plays toward his side. However, exhibits an impressive initial burst and closing range when asked to chase the football away from his frame, and he's a powerful striker who generates good pop on contact. Isn't real stout at the point of attack when run at and can be easily sealed from the play outside, but the guy works very hard in pursuit and I love his motor from the backside.

Impression: A compact pass rusher who does a good job changing directions and using his short-area burst to close on the ball. Isn't real physical as a down defensive lineman, but could end up becoming a decent 3-4 pass-rushing outside linebacker in the NFL.
http://sidelinescouting.com/rankings/de/jeremy-beal.shtml
Sideline Scouting said:

Positives:
Good athlete... Good speed... Solid pass rusher... Explosive... Disruptive... Good suddenness... Very solid initial quickness... Good bend on the corner... Solid power... Tough... Plays physical... Can bull rush... Good club move... Violent, active hands... Will knock down passes at the line... Good acceleration... Solid flexibility and body control... Good closing speed... Can get off blocks and make plays versus the run... Makes plays in the backfield... Closes on the ball quickly... Good lateral movement... Very good change of direction agility... Active... Plays from sideline to sideline... Good tackler... Hard hitter... Goes for the strip... Reliable... Hard worker... Good motor... Good character... Football smart... Good instincts... Reads and reacts quickly... Sees quite a few double teams... Solid drops in coverage... Looks comfortable in coverage... Runs reasonably well... Moves well and has a lot of experience in space... Played 4-3 WLB and 3-4 OLB versus Nebraska in the Big 12 championship game... 3-4 OLB potential, would fit as TED/MLB if at 255 lbs... Good leader... Spends a lot of time in the video room... Has not missed a game in college... Selected All-Big 12 first team for the 2008, 2009 and 2010 seasons and named 2010 Defensive Lineman of the year.

Negatives: Needs to get stronger at POA... Does not shed blockers especially well... Needs to add more pass rushing moves... Does not chase especially well... Does not always pursue plays going away... Needs to get better versus the run... Not very stout at the point of attack in running plays... Gets a little too upright at times... Needs to improve in backside containment... Can be taken out of plays... Will miss some open field tackles.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1123597
CBSports said:
2011 SENIOR BOWL FALLER: Jeremy Beal, DE, Oklahoma: Lacking explosiveness off the snap and the strength to push tackles into the pocket, this Sooner superstar may have been exposed as a high-motor player with limited athleticism and upside. - NFLDraftScout.com

Beal's production, strength and versatility give him a great chance to succeed at the next level. Oklahoma coaches stand him up, put his hand down, drop him into the flat, even stuck him at middle linebacker at times when needed in 2009. Defensive coordinators using 3-4 or 4-3 base systems, therefore, will covet his skills. He probably won't be picked as early as former teammates Bradford and McCoy because he's not off-the-charts elite in any part of his game. In fact, the Sooners did not even offer him a scholarship when he attended their summer camp because of his average athletic testing. But NFL scouts will likely feel the same way Bob Stoops did when he saw Beal's high school game film: they will want to have the well-rounded, hard-working and intelligent player.

Pass rush: Hustle-type player who pressures the outside shoulder of right tackles and gets to his target on deep drops, but lacks the elite speed to quickly turn the corner. Rushes the passer with his hand down (on the strong side) and standing up. Gives great effort to get to the quarterback if he hangs onto the ball too long or the play breaks down. Quick reaction to get hands up to block passes when unable to reach the passer. Has the lateral movement to play linebacker at the next level. Fair movement in space when dropping into coverage; is a bit stiff in his hips but manages to get into his zone. Can handle coverage of tight ends but quicker running backs may elude him. Must work on recognizing and defeating cut blocks from running backs. Does not vary his pass rush moves.

Run defense: Uses his low center of gravity to play with leverage against taller tackles, stacking them so he can force plays inside, but struggles to get off blocks until the play is past him. Holds his ground and sheds against tight ends one-on-one but does not dominate them. Hustles to plays on the outside, solid tackler who can anchor against big backs to prevent them from getting extra yardage. Assignment-sure player who keeps containment on his side but still makes plays on inside runs.

Explosion: Not an elite edge rusher but has enough power and quickness off the snap to shrink the pocket and make tackles pay for technique mistakes. Punches his opponent's chest to shock them but does not knock better tackles back. Can be violent with his hands to create space between him and his blocker

Last edited:
OP
OP
SuperSpck

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Could he fit as a SILB/Thumper in a Hayes type mode?

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
Could he fit as a SILB/Thumper in a Hayes type mode?

In the system Horton will try to implement here where the linebackers are expected to be very versatile...absolutely. Though I think personally that he would be better suited as the SOLB.

Beal, after his poor performance at the Senior Bowl, has fallen off a lot, but there are few OLB prospects that have as much all around game as him. He won't wow you at any one particular aspect of his game, but he is solid. He has a very bright football mind, very intellectual and is a leader on his side of the ball.

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
In the system Horton will try to implement here where the linebackers are expected to be very versatile...absolutely. Though I think personally that he would be better suited as the SOLB.

Beal, after his poor performance at the Senior Bowl, has fallen off a lot, but there are few OLB prospects that have as much all around game as him. He won't wow you at any one particular aspect of his game, but he is solid. He has a very bright football mind, very intellectual and is a leader on his side of the ball.

Wow, this guy at draft ace has him rated in the 1st round. Remember how bad we wanted Larry English two years ago?

18. San Diego- Jeremy Beal OLB, Oklahoma
Former first round pick Larry English has failed to produce from the outside edge rusher position in the Bolts 3-4 defense. Beal is an ideal fit for the scheme and resembles former Charger Shawn Merriman better than anyone in this class. Beal’s experience as a stand-up rusher as well as in a three-point stance makes him a valuable commodity for a team that runs a 3-4 scheme. He’s currently rated as my top pass rushing prospect.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Note to self - Never look up draft info from Draft Ace.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
I don't think Beal resembles Shawn Merriman at all, but I do think Beal could easily end up being taken in the 1st. He's become very underrated since the Senior Bowl. I don't think he'll last until the 3rd.

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
I don't think Beal resembles Shawn Merriman at all, but I do think Beal could easily end up being taken in the 1st. He's become very underrated since the Senior Bowl. I don't think he'll last until the 3rd.

It's hard for a guy to get drafted in the first round if they're not even rated in the top 5 at their position.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
It's hard for a guy to get drafted in the first round if they're not even rated in the top 5 at their position.

Of course, because we all know that pre combine rankings are the end all, and we all know that teams base their boards on what Mayock, Kiper, CBS Sports, Sideline Scouting say about prospects right :p

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
Of course, because we all know that pre combine rankings are the end all, and we all know that teams base their boards on what Mayock, Kiper, CBS Sports, Sideline Scouting say about prospects right :p

He doesn't do anything better than Miller, Quinn, Houston, Aldon Smith, or Ayers.

He only covers better than Kerrigan who's a natural 4-3 DE.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
He doesn't do anything better than Miller, Quinn, Houston, Aldon Smith, or Ayers.

He only covers better than Kerrigan who's a natural 4-3 DE.

He plays standing up which a lot of 3-4 teams covet. He doesn't have the pass rushing potential of Miller, Quinn, Houston of maybe even Smith, but he is a much better pass rusher than Ayers.

He is, despite what you claim, a proven commodity in pass defense. He shut TE's and RB's down in the passing game in the flat and intermediate routes, where most LBs are asked to cover. Those other guys may prove to be better than him but as of right now, the only ones that can even claim to have extensive experience dropping into coverage is Miller and Ayers.

Like I said earlier, he's not going to wow people in any one area, but as far as NFL ready OLBs in this years draft, he has the most complete skillset and is very versatile.

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
He plays standing up which a lot of 3-4 teams covet. He doesn't have the pass rushing potential of Miller, Quinn, Houston of maybe even Smith, but he is a much better pass rusher than Ayers.

He is, despite what you claim, a proven commodity in pass defense. He shut TE's and RB's down in the passing game in the flat and intermediate routes, where most LBs are asked to cover. Those other guys may prove to be better than him but as of right now, the only ones that can even claim to have extensive experience dropping into coverage is Miller and Ayers.

Like I said earlier, he's not going to wow people in any one area, but as far as NFL ready OLBs in this years draft, he has the most complete skillset and is very versatile.

Right now his two biggest assets are his weight and his ability to drop into coverage.

I personally value the ability to get to the passer way higher than those two, and I think most GMs would agree with me.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
Right now his two biggest assets are his weight and his ability to drop into coverage.

I personally value the ability to get to the passer way higher than those two, and I think most GMs would agree with me.

Um...have you watched him at all? He gets after the QB just fine. 11 sacks last year, 9 this year with quite a few hurries and hits.

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
Um...have you watched him at all? He gets after the QB just fine. 11 sacks last year, 9 this year with quite a few hurries and hits.

The problem is that he doesn't project well.

His get off isn't very fast out of a 2 point stance, and he lacks the blazing speed of a Miller, a Quinn or a Houston.

He's a bigger slower guy who's better against the run and won't be as good at getting to the QB. He's not Kerrigan but he's not Quinn in terms of hip flexibility.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
The problem is that he doesn't project well.

His get off isn't very fast out of a 2 point stance, and he lacks the blazing speed of a Miller, a Quinn or a Houston.

He's a bigger slower guy who's better against the run and won't be as good at getting to the QB. He's not Kerrigan but he's not Quinn in terms of hip flexibility.

Again, how much of him have you watched? He's not slow by any means. He may not have Miller, Quinn's or Houston's blazing speed, but he is far from slow.

There are very strong similarities between Beal and Lamar Woodley. Both in size and ability. They both have about the same skill set. They both run at about the same 40, of course we'll have to see at the combine what Beal's official time is, but everytime he's been clocked thus far, it's at about equal. You think if the 2007 draft was held again, knowing what we know now, that Woodley wouldn't be a 1st round pick?

Now with the depth at OLB in this draft, he may not get taken in the first, but I could see a team who values complete players with versatile skill sets who are leaders off and on the field take a flier on him in the later part of round one.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Note to self - Never look up draft info from Draft Ace.
I think Draft Ace, Huddle Report, and the guy from the Dallas paper have the best record on predicting 1st round picks the last 3 years. Frank Coyle, of Draft Insider's Digest, also has Beal going in round 1. I don't see it either but there may be a little something to it.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This guy is a maniac, maniac on the field. And he plays like he has never played before...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Keep in mind also that Beal was working almost exclusively at DE at the Senior Bowl, and that's probably not where he projects in the NFL. He'll be a project no matter where he ends up (and I'm intrigued by the idea of making him a two-down heavy inside run-stuffer).

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
He'll be a project no matter where he ends up (and I'm intrigued by the idea of making him a two-down heavy inside run-stuffer).

Good stuff. I feel the same way. I actually just put him in my top 5 SILB list.

1. Kelvin Sheppard - LSU
2. Nate Irving - North Carolina State
3. Josh Bynes - Auburn
4. Jeremy Beal - Oklahoma
5. Colin Mcarthy - Miami

Some of these guys have to put on a little weight but they have the traits and body types I like for my SILB prospects.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Now with the depth at OLB in this draft, he may not get taken in the first, but I could see a team who values complete players with versatile skill sets who are leaders off and on the field take a flier on him in the later part of round one.

This, and his size and experience playing OLB, are exactly why I like him as a 2nd round pick to eventually replace Haggans. I don't think Beal will be Merriman spectacular but he could very well be a guy who plays like Hayes or Haggans or Okeafor and takes care of your SOLB spot for 8-10 years.

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
Good stuff. I feel the same way. I actually just put him in my top 5 SILB list.

1. Kelvin Sheppard - LSU
2. Nate Irving - North Carolina State
3. Josh Bynes - Auburn
4. Jeremy Beal - Oklahoma
5. Colin Mcarthy - Miami

Some of these guys have to put on a little weight but they have the traits and body types I like for my SILB prospects.

This board hates Greg Jones

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This board hates Greg Jones

Because he's not all that good.

Greg Jones is just too small and his instincts aren't as great as some believe.

I agree with Joe's list, though I would put Nate Irving ahead of Sheppard. IMO Irving makes so many plays behind the line of scrimmage to not put him as the #1 ILB prospect.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
The best thing Beal has going for him is he dares to be very good. In that way he is relentless.

Yet, when you match his game tapes versus the other edge rushers, you see a tanglible drop-off in athleticism and edge speed. He just doesn't have it ahtletically...mentally yes...emotionally yes...but athletically, no. Not quick or fast enough.

He battles like hell, and you love that about him.

But, take Ryan Kerrigan...while he's not the fastest quickest guy around, he's a bull who blows up double teams (and I mean blows up)---and he has the ability to get underneath and twist blockers and divert right to the ball. Beal lacks this. He gets held up too much and he doesn't shed fast enough, nor does he turn the edge like a pro.

The Woodley comparison can only be in terms of tenacity, because Woodley brings brute strength and a burst to the ball that Beal can only dream of.

Now...what intrigues me more than a little is Joe projecting him as an ILB. Beal is strong minded and relishes contact. Who knows? Not sure what his range would be at ILB...and you have to question whether he could ever be a factor in pass coverage...but hey, as I said, who knows?

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Because he's not all that good.

Greg Jones is just too small and his instincts aren't as great as some believe.

I agree with Joe's list, though I would put Nate Irving ahead of Sheppard. IMO Irving makes so many plays behind the line of scrimmage to not put him as the #1 ILB prospect.

I like Joes' list too, Krang, but I too like Irving better than Sheppard, as I see Irving as being a little more instinctive and atheltic---while being similarly strong.

That said...I would be very happy with Sheppard in the 3rd or 4th round.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maksince98