Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a followup to my earlier post about draft predictions by position:

NBA.COM - C, PF, SF, PF, SG/SF
SI.COM - C, SG, C, C, F/C
BLEACHERREPORT.COM - C, SG, PF, PF, SF
CBSSPORTS.COM - PF, C, SG, PF, SF
ESPN.COM - SF/PF, PF/C, C, SG, PF/C

As you can see despite all the talk of this being a Guards league now this draft predictions look pretty traditional to me minus everyone throwing in Doncic in there.

If this plays out this way, it sounds like the old thinking is still the dominate thinking in the NBA that legit front court men are just too hard to come by and the most important commodity in the NBA.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a followup to my earlier post about draft predictions by position:

NBA.COM - C, PF, SF, PF, SG/SF
SI.COM - C, SG, C, C, F/C
BLEACHERREPORT.COM - C, SG, PF, PF, SF
CBSSPORTS.COM - PF, C, SG, PF, SF
ESPN.COM - SF/PF, PF/C, C, SG, PF/C

As you can see despite all the talk of this being a Guards league now this draft predictions look pretty traditional to me minus everyone throwing in Doncic in there.

If this plays out this way, it sounds like the old thinking is still the dominate thinking in the NBA that legit front court men are just too hard to come by and the most important commodity in the NBA.

I'm not sure this means quite what you think it does. For one thing, this has been touted as the draft of the big man for a couple years now. OTOH, despite this being a guard's league, a dominant modern big man is still the holy grail.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure this means quite what you think it does. For one thing, this has been touted as the draft of the big man for a couple years now. OTOH, despite this being a guard's league, a dominant modern big man is still the holy grail.

That is my point. All I have heard for the past few years is that this is no longer a big mans league, shooting and getting up the court are now the MO for winning. Yet team priorities still seem to point that isn't the case. It appears that most team still feel that a dominant big man is still the "holy grail" as you state.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is my point. All I have heard for the past few years is that this is no longer a big mans league, shooting and getting up the court are now the MO for winning. Yet team priorities still seem to point that isn't the case. It appears that most team still feel that a dominant big man is still the "holy grail" as you state.

I'm fairly sure they do. But like I said, this draft has been greatly anticipated for a few years now because of the big men at the top.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
And last year people were drooling at the idea of getting either Ball or Fultz. An elite PG is the one thing teams seem to still want more than an elite big. This just happens to be a draft that the best overall talent is big men for the most part.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
There is no law that if you draft 5 players, you have to keep them all on the final roster.

I agree with Mainstreet - the Suns need to be taking as many flyers on finding talent as possible. I think they should be taking a shot with any and al draftpicks they can lay their hands on. They all aren't going to work out, but it's not like there is an opportunity cost in doing it. The vast majority of the current roster can and should be replaced, and the draft is the easiest and most likely resource for that.

Sure, we can sign a FA or two for veteran presence - we have more than enough cap space to do so. I don't see the need to trade draft picks for "veteran help" unless some extraordinary deal presents itself, which honestly I don't see happening. But trading away draft picks for nothing just because you're worried you will end up with too much youth on your roster is foolish, especially for a franchise that has very little margin for error at this point.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
There is no law that if you draft 5 players, you have to keep them all on the final roster.

I agree with Mainstreet - the Suns need to be taking as many flyers on finding talent as possible. I think they should be taking a shot with any and al draftpicks they can lay their hands on. They all aren't going to work out, but it's not like there is an opportunity cost in doing it. The vast majority of the current roster can and should be replaced, and the draft is the easiest and most likely resource for that.

Sure, we can sign a FA or two for veteran presence - we have more than enough cap space to do so. I don't see the need to trade draft picks for "veteran help" unless some extraordinary deal presents itself, which honestly I don't see happening. But trading away draft picks for nothing just because you're worried you will end up with too much youth on your roster is foolish, especially for a franchise that has very little margin for error at this point.
I agree unless they can trade some of them for some proven talent. The only pick they should keep at pretty much all costs is the 1-4 pick. All other picks should be on the table if there are players available that can help this team get better next year.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand how they want players that can win now and contribute so getting that many rookies seems counterproductive but they could draft more finished products later in the draft who should be able to step in and give some quality contributions right away even if their ceiling isn't very high.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I understand how they want players that can win now and contribute so getting that many rookies seems counterproductive but they could draft more finished products later in the draft who should be able to step in and give some quality contributions right away even if their ceiling isn't very high.
Like Reed and Peters? Hasn't worked out great with them so far. TBF neither has seen much court time and Reed spent a lot of the season recovering from injury.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Asked who the Suns should take if they got the #1 pick, both Booker and Jackson said Ayton. Hopefully we get lucky at the lotto drawing.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Asked who the Suns should take if they got the #1 pick, both Booker and Jackson said Ayton. Hopefully we get lucky at the lotto drawing.

Booker definitely didn't answer that question.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Suns need to use that second #1 on a PG unless they get Doncic in the first. Rather not pay the price of a vet PG.
Package picks and trade up for Young is what I’m hoping. He wore down because he had no help at OU, imagine him on a team with Booker, Jackson and either Ayton or Bagley.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Interesting that Booker mentioned four guys, knowing the Suns will pick in the top 4. A sign that the organization considers Bamba one of their top 4? We know they consult with Booker, so I think there is at least a little to take away from which players are on his mind.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Package picks and trade up for Young is what I’m hoping. He wore down because he had no help at OU, imagine him on a team with Booker, Jackson and either Ayton or Bagley.

I agree. I still believe he is the most likely to become that generational player from this lottery class.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in favor of this. I just worry about the defense.

Yeah defense will be a challenge but my biggest concern is whether his body will hold up. If I were confident that he'd have a fairly healthy career, I'd be screaming my head off in favor of taking him. But team needs and body type lead me to Ayton as our probable best first pick.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Interesting that Booker mentioned four guys, knowing the Suns will pick in the top 4. A sign that the organization considers Bamba one of their top 4? We know they consult with Booker, so I think there is at least a little to take away from which players are on his mind.
Come on man. That is not a “sign” of anything. Those are just four of the guys he could think off the top of his head. He didn’t even mention names for everyone because I don’t think he could rattle off all of them without thinking about it.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Come on man. That is not a “sign” of anything. Those are just four of the guys he could think off the top of his head. He didn’t even mention names for everyone because I don’t think he could rattle off all of them without thinking about it.

Sure...that's likely the case...

OR it could be definitive proof that the Suns board is Ayton, Doncic, the Kid from Texas, and Bagley.

I'll let the board decide!

(The Suns went 21-61 this year. Rampant speculation and over analyzation are all I have to keep me entertained!)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure...that's likely the case...

OR it could be definitive proof that the Suns board is Ayton, Doncic, the Kid from Texas, and Bagley.

I'll let the board decide!

(The Suns went 21-61 this year. Rampant speculation and over analyzation are all I have to keep me entertained!)

I think Booker knows more about the draft than he is carrying-on. ;)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s a sign of things either. But I also think Booker knows a lot more about these players than he is letting on.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we fall to 4, what are people thinking in terms of the player to take?

For me it will be all about the best medical staff in the nba. The same staff that in 2010 told the suns amare s knees would not hold up more than a couple years, and were right.

If they evaluate michael porter and say he will hold up, I'm taking him. 6 11 matchup nightmare that was largely considered number 1 prospect heading into last season

I figure bamb a and jjj are raw enough you are rolling dice with them in different way, so what's the difference, at least you can have some good confidence in the porter risk because of the suns medical staff

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we fall to 4, what are people thinking in terms of the player to take?

For me it will be all about the best medical staff in the nba. The same staff that in 2010 told the suns amare s knees would not hold up more than a couple years, and were right.

If they evaluate michael porter and say he will hold up, I'm taking him. 6 11 matchup nightmare that was largely considered number 1 prospect heading into last season

I figure bamb a and jjj are raw enough you are rolling dice with them in different way, so what's the difference, at least you can have some good confidence in the porter risk because of the suns medical staff

I roll the dice and take Young.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser