2017-2018 Draft Prospects watch.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is there a chance that a Head Coach is named before the draft? A Head Coach's skills and preferences should be taken into account in filling out the roster.

I'd be shocked if we hadn't named a coach well in advance of the draft.

I would guess, at latest, we will have named a coach within days of the finals ending, probably much sooner unless we're specifically targeting an assistant on a playoff team.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yes there is. If Cleveland stays at 7 and Lebron is leaving then that team goes full rebuild. Warren / Chris / and both Miami picks would get it done.
Hmm I don’t think. A star is always more valuable than an pupu platter of “assets.” The Cavs likely hope for a Trae or Porter to fall into their laps.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my journey across the internet, I found a nice article on Doncic explaining why he will succeed in the NBA.

See the last line on the chart. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to copy.

Last year, at 17 years old, he was awarded the EuroLeague Rising Star Award, which is reserved for the best up-and-comers 22 or younger. Previous winners include Ricky Rubio, Nikola Mirotic, and Danilo Gallinari, whose seasons pale in comparison to how Doncic is currently playing.

Here’s what their numbers were compared to when Doncic won the award last season, with the final line showing the numbers he’s producing this year:

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/3/1/17031800/luka-doncic-nba-draft-2018-first-pick-projection

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be shocked if we hadn't named a coach well in advance of the draft.

I would guess, at latest, we will have named a coach within days of the finals ending, probably much sooner unless we're specifically targeting an assistant on a playoff team.

These are my expectations as well unless the coach is on a playoff team that advances. Even then, it will likely be clear who the Suns are selecting.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm I don’t think. A star is always more valuable than an pupu platter of “assets.” The Cavs likely hope for a Trae or Porter to fall into their laps.

Agreed. People here overrate our assets regularly, just like when they thought we could get the Brooklyn pick for Bledsoe.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Agreed. People here overrate our assets regularly, just like when they thought we could get the Brooklyn pick for Bledsoe.
We likely would have gotten more if it wasn’t for the situation. Bledsoe as a player had more value than the return, but we had no leverage because of the situation.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Posters were saying that right in the middle of the situation.
I don’t think they realized just how much the lack of leverage hurt his value. I may have even been one of them, but I honestly don’t recall what I expected in return back then.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Yes there is. If Cleveland stays at 7 and Lebron is leaving then that team goes full rebuild. Warren / Chris / and both Miami picks would get it done.

Only problem with that scenario is that Free agency is after the draft, and I don't think there's any way Lebron would tip his had either way about what he's doing before it. If anything, he (or Rich Paul) will passive aggressively pressure the Cavs to 'make the right moves' with the threat of him leaving.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Fran Fraschilla‏Verified account@franfraschilla 12s12 seconds ago
Have watched a lot of film of DeAndre Ayton & Marvin Bagley III & it’s hard to find a lot of plays they take off on either end of court. Do they have warts, especially defensively? Yes. But NBA teams will not need to teach them effort. A huge start.
Definitely good to hear. Effort is going to be a major part of how good each of those guys become. Physically there is no reason for either of them to be less than all star caliber players. Will depend on effort and drive to improve (and staying healthy).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently, Wendell Carter is considering returning to Duke.

Also, here's an interesting read on a potential sleeper at point guard:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23114608/elie-okobo-france-enters-nba-draft

I'll believe it when I see it on Carter. i know like Bamba he's a unique kid a legit student and that's great but I'm still very skeptical he's going to stay. When he didn't announce right away I jokingly said the reason was he couldn't remember which NBA agents he has NOT already dealt with and was afraid to go pro, hire an agent and then remember he'd already dealt with that agent and get ruled retroactively ineligible. That joke is of course because he was one of the kids Yahoo named as having dealt with Christian Dawkins, and then his parents insisted they walked out of the dinner without actually eating, but then the mom "remembered" they'd also met with another agent, without telling Wendell, so she reported that to Coach K. it's since come out there are 2 other agents who allegedly met with his parents too.

So it's just very hard for me to believe that a kid whose parents met with 4 agents, before he played a game in college, will actually stay in college, if for no other reason that I doubt the NCAA will overlook that many agent contacts. One yeah you can claim it was just dinner, 2 ok borderline but the NCAA already cleared him. But 4?

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So it's just very hard for me to believe that a kid whose parents met with 4 agents, before he played a game in college, will actually stay in college, if for no other reason that I doubt the NCAA will overlook that many agent contacts. One yeah you can claim it was just dinner, 2 ok borderline but the NCAA already cleared him. But 4?

Hopefully, your instinct is right. The more players who declare, the better for the Suns imho.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have spent some time reading through many of the newly released mock drafts. It's interesting but despite the league fawning over guard focused play (i.e. Steph era) I find it interesting that most of the mock drafts have all the elite big men going before the elite guards.

That is traditionally how it has always been. All I have heard for the past few seasons is how the NBA has changed and it's now an elite shooting guard league and yet all the teams at the top of the draft appear to be drafting traditionally versus that perception.

Not really drawing any conclusions but I thought it was interesting.

SunsFanFirst

Veteran
Reaction score
New here and havent gone through all 128 pages of this thread but the biggest steal in the draft this year will be Austin Wiley from Auburn.. had he been eligible to play he would be a lotto pick this year. Has he been discussed?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New here and havent gone through all 128 pages of this thread but the biggest steal in the draft this year will be Austin Wiley from Auburn.. had he been eligible to play he would be a lotto pick this year. Has he been discussed?

I do not believe he has been discussed.

Nbadraft.net has him going #47.

By all means, feel free to talk about him.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I do not believe he has been discussed.

Nbadraft.net has him going #47.

By all means, feel free to talk about him.
Maybe Suns will take him with their 5th pick.

If the Suns draft 5 rookies there is a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Suns will take him with their 5th pick.

If the Suns draft 5 rookies there is a problem.

I don't think the Suns will draft and keep five rookies but I think they should seriously consider keeping up to 3 rookies.

The Suns roster was not that good.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I don't think the Suns will draft and keep five rookies but I think they should seriously consider keeping up to 3 rookies.

The Suns roster was not that good.
Depending on who they keep they could set a new record for most players under 20. Woohoo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way Sarver let's this team draft 5 rookies and keep them. Not a chance.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser