2017-2018 Draft Prospects watch.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It’s hard to make that team better. Once he got into conference play, teams just focused on him and there were not enough other threats on his team to keep the opponents honest. That won’t happen in the NBA.

Honestly. I like Trae over Doncic.

Trae really could be the next Curry. He's even surpassed his numbers at an earlier age.

Having said that...If people worry about Doncic playing defense they should REALLY worry about Young's defense. His wingspan is unusually short at 6'4". That is three inches shorter than Sexton. Him and Booker will shoot lights out but also will be known as the black hole brothers on defense.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trae really could be the next Curry. He's even surpassed his numbers at an earlier age.

Having said that...If people worry about Doncic playing defense they should REALLY worry about Young's defense. His wingspan is unusually short at 6'4". That is three inches shorter than Sexton. Him and Booker will shoot lights out but also will be known as the black hole brothers on defense.
Kid does get steals.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
@Phrazbit

I know you don't like Bamba because he is such a project but I've been reading up on him and I'm still interested. His dimensions are soooo intriguing. With his standing vertical his arms are only 6 inches from the rim. He blocks shots without even having to go airborne. But he can jump too. He has decent speed. He can score.

I don't know....If we got #4 pick I might be inclined to go for a home run and chance striking out. It's probably crazy but I would be more excited with Bamba versus Bagley (with his T-Rex arms) or Porter (bad back). I've even read JJJ is still somewhat of a project.

At #4 I probably would take Young though...

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@Phrazbit

I know you don't like Bamba because he is such a project but I've been reading up on him and I'm still interested. His dimensions are soooo intriguing. With his standing vertical his arms are only 6 inches from the rim. He blocks shots without even having to go airborne. But he can jump too. He has decent speed. He can score.

I don't know....If we got #4 pick I might be inclined to go for a home run and chance striking out. It's probably crazy but I would be more excited with Bamba versus Bagley (with his T-Rex arms) or Porter (bad back). I've even read JJJ is still somewhat of a project.

I'm not saying I wouldn't touch him, just that of the guys mentioned in the top... 7 or 8, I think he has the highest bust potential and I think his ceiling on the offensive end is the lowest of everyone in the top 10.

Biggest catch is; you're talking up his measurements as the biggest thing that excites you and yeah, the guy has freaky long arms, however... the history of drafting big guys based on their body and ignoring some serious flaws in the skill department is why the draft is littered with so many big men disasters.

And it isn't really the "project" stuff that scares me from Bamba, it's what I see as a really limited offensive player combined with (my most hated red flag) a guy who people question his motor. Some dudes zip around and are high energy almost all the time... and some dudes that type of play is fleeting and generally those types of players never change.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not saying I wouldn't touch him, just that of the guys mentioned in the top... 7 or 8, I think he has the highest bust potential and I think his ceiling on the offensive end is the lowest of everyone in the top 10.

Biggest catch is; you're talking up his measurements as the biggest thing that excites you and yeah, the guy has freaky long arms, however... the history of drafting big guys based on their body and ignoring some serious flaws in the skill department is why the draft is littered with so many big men disasters.

And it isn't really the "project" stuff that scares me from Bamba, it's what I see as a really limited offensive player combined with (my most hated red flag) a guy who people question his motor. Some dudes zip around and are high energy almost all the time... and some dudes that type of play is fleeting and generally those types of players never change.

Yeah I read about his motor and it is concerning. His offense too is limited. But defensively he's better than Ayton and slightly better on the boards. He's like the "anti-Ayton". Bamba even claims his team beat Aytons team three times in highschool and college. I think his ceiling is as high as anyone in the draft but his floor is lower than a lot of them too.

Yeah I can't deny his bust potential but I think his physical abilities and defensive presence will prevent him from being an outright bust. The question is will he round out his game and live up to his potential? Will he be a star or merely a solid role player type? Maybe there is too much speculation to take that chance this draft with our pick being so high (like what you are saying).

We could go safer on a big and take JJJ or Bagley....although Bagley isn't a great defender. Or just take Young because he's seemingly more like Curry than Curry at his age. At least with those guys there is less risk.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
@Phrazbit

I'd take Young over anyone except Bagley or Ayton. I would try and use #16 to move up and take Carter if we end up outside Top 2. Young & Carter or if we get #1, I take Ayton and make an aggressive move up to take Young. Ayton / Young or Young / Carter are my ideal drafts.

I'm okay with getting Young at #16. I'd even move up from #16 to get him. :wink2:
Definitely would need to take him with our first pick because he absolutely will not be there at #16.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Too soon to get another Len, guys. No to Bamba.
I don't think there is any chance Bamba is another Len. He is a very intelligent kid who is an excellent defender and rebounder already. His offense is more developed than people think. I would not be disappointed at all in getting Bamba. Tyson Chandler is his floor I believe. He will likely be a Gobert type.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't think there is any chance Bamba is another Len. He is a very intelligent kid who is an excellent defender and rebounder already. His offense is more developed than people think. I would not be disappointed at all in getting Bamba. Tyson Chandler is his floor I believe. He will likely be a Gobert type.

That video shows a couple things, but nothing definitive. Ayton’s Post defense isn’t that bad and Bamba needs to get more strength. You can see why Ayton is the better prospect.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely would need to take him with our first pick because he absolutely will not be there at #16.

I was going off the CBS draft ranking in post # 1985.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/prospect-rankings/

I'd run to the podium to get Young at #16. :)

He will go in the top 7 players.

screen-shot-2018-04-17-at-9-50-49-pm-png.26736

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That video shows a couple things, but nothing definitive. Ayton’s Post defense isn’t that bad and Bamba needs to get more strength. You can see why Ayton is the better prospect.
That would be exactly my take away from the video. It was a year ago. Ayton has added body mass since then. Bamba not so much.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was going off the CBS draft ranking in post # 1985.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/prospect-rankings/

I'd run to the podium to get Young at #16. :)

He will go in the top 7 players.

screen-shot-2018-04-17-at-9-50-49-pm-png.26736

Yeah. That's their prospect list. In their mock, they have Young going 11. To me that is still low. It should be possible to trade up into that range to get him. But then again, whoever is drafting in that range would probably not trade if Young was falling that far.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. That's their prospect list. In their mock, they have Young going 11. To me that is still low. It should be possible to trade up into that range to get him. But then again, whoever is drafting in that range would probably not trade if Young was falling that far.

I can't see Young falling to 11 either. The Suns should try to snatch him if they see him sliding. They could use the Heat pick and and something else. There are some other PGs in the draft I like so I wouldn't want to overpay to the extreme.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone run the ESPN lottery machine. I am not sure it is realistic. Ran it 20 times.

#1. 6 times
#2 1 time
#3 3 times
#4 10 times

The results always seems worse than the odds in the mocks. We seem to always get #4 50% of the time or more, while the odds of getting 1-3 for the Suns should be 64%. Oh well. Pointless. Just nervous activity. There is no reason the lottery shouldn't be done already.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Anyone run the ESPN lottery machine. I am not sure it is realistic. Ran it 20 times.

#1. 6 times
#2 1 time
#3 3 times
#4 10 times

The results always seems worse than the odds in the mocks.

It's possible that ESPN has it set up wrong. They're just trying to generate page loads, so they have no particular incentive to debug their randomizer.

Edit: I just did 50 of my own and got

#1 16
#2 13
#3 5
#4 16

so combined with yours, that's

22-14-8-26

which doesn't seem too far off.

Last edited:

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

#1. 6 times
#2 1 time
#3 3 times
#4 10 times

The results always seems worse than the odds in the mocks. We seem to always get #4 50% of the time or more, while the odds of getting 1-3 for the Suns should be 64%. Oh well. Pointless. Just nervous activity. There is no reason the lottery shouldn't be done already.

JC ...you are a lottery simulator junkie. The first step in self help is to recognize the addiction. :mrgreen:

:fans:

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can't see Young falling to 11 either. The Suns should try to snatch him if they see him sliding. They could use the Heat pick and and something else. There are some other PGs in the draft I like so I wouldn't want to overpay to the extreme.

I think Young doesn't slip past 8...maybe even 6.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

That's what I'm thinking...exactly. Worst case scenario is Bamba is a defending rebounding madman. Len isn't known for that or anything else even all these years later. Plus I think too Bamba has more offense in him than people suspect.

Still, there are other players that are more polished and proven in #4 pick range we could take if fans don't want to wait on results.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He really could. Trae could go almost anywhere. If some team drafted him #3 I wouldn't think they were stupid.

Some team may look very smart doing this at #3.

Some people want to compare Young to Curry but I like the Nash comparison better.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I read about his motor and it is concerning. His offense too is limited. But defensively he's better than Ayton and slightly better on the boards. He's like the "anti-Ayton". Bamba even claims his team beat Aytons team three times in highschool and college. I think his ceiling is as high as anyone in the draft but his floor is lower than a lot of them too.

Yeah I can't deny his bust potential but I think his physical abilities and defensive presence will prevent him from being an outright bust. The question is will he round out his game and live up to his potential? Will he be a star or merely a solid role player type? Maybe there is too much speculation to take that chance this draft with our pick being so high (like what you are saying).

We could go safer on a big and take JJJ or Bagley....although Bagley isn't a great defender. Or just take Young because he's seemingly more like Curry than Curry at his age. At least with those guys there is less risk.

Hmm... not sure where some of that info from. Ayton rebounded better in college and I think he would have done even better had he not been stuck defending on the outside so often. Arizona played him out of position at the 4 because their other big had no hope of playing away from the rim. Also, I know for sure they never played each other in college and given that Ayton wen to HS here in Arizona and Bamba was in the North East... I suspect they've never played each other before... except maybe the McDonalds All American game.

If we don't get Ayton, I'd want Doncic or Young next.

And I don't see Young slipping beyond 5th.

Tyson Chandler is an All-Star who won DPOY... when we're talking about "floors" I think every single player in the draft has a lower floor than that. Bamba's floor is Bizmack Biyombo. A freakishly long guy with little skill and a bad motor.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
@JCSunsfan

I know you are sweating bullets over our draft pick number but would you really feel screwed if we took Young at #4?

Me thinks not!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
backyardunwieldy