2017-2018 Draft Prospects watch.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Eric said that all of that is built into the odds. I am no stats expert buy I am not sure. I would think that your odds for the second and third picks change depending on who gets the first pick. For instance, if the #14 seed lucks out and gets the first pick, then there is a different number of numbers still in play than if the #2 seek gets it. But don't listen to me. Its not my area.

We are saying the same thing. The odds change as the team who received the pick is off the board.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I know Eric said that all of that is built into the odds. I am no stats expert buy I am not sure. I would think that your odds for the second and third picks change depending on who gets the first pick. For instance, if the #14 seed lucks out and gets the first pick, then there is a different number of numbers still in play than if the #2 seek gets it. But don't listen to me. Its not my area.

We're not disagreeing.

Imagine that your task is to draw a white ball from a bin that contains both white and red balls.

There are two bins. One has 5 white ones and 10 red ones. The other has 10 white and 5 red.

First, you have to pick which of the two bins to draw from. You have to do this blindfolded.

Depending on which bin you pick, you have either a 1/3 or a 2/3 chance of drawing a white ball. However, taking both bins into account, your overall chance is 1/2.

It's true that, at some point in the process, an external observer would be able to give an update on your odds, and there would be a moment during which it would be known whether you are looking at a 1/3 or 2/3 chance. But the final calculation has already taken that into account.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're not disagreeing.

Imagine that your task is to draw a white ball from a bin that contains both white and red balls.

There are two bins. One has 5 white ones and 10 red ones. The other has 10 white and 5 red.

First, you have to pick which of the two bins to draw from. You have to do this blindfolded.

Depending on which bin you pick, you have either a 1/3 or a 2/3 chance of drawing a white ball. However, taking both bins into account, your overall chance is 1/2.

It's true that, at some point in the process, an external observer would be able to give an update on your odds, and there would be a moment during which it would be known whether you are looking at a 1/3 or 2/3 chance. But the final calculation has already taken that into account.

You've got to be cutting and pasting this kind of stuff by now, right?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Twitter freaking out about this dunk today. I like Luka and it was a nice finish but it was maybe a 7/10 in spectularness.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Twitter freaking out about this dunk today. I like Luka and it was a nice finish but it was maybe a 7/10 in spectularness.

Good explosion along the ground, but a weak jump -- he barely got over the rim. If that's the best he has, that's not a good sign at all.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I just don't get it. It's a nice finish, but he's barely getting over the rim on that. I think people are seeing what they want to see here... hell, maybe I'm one of them. But when I think twitter-worthy explosion, that ain't it.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As someone ok with bamba at 4:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I just don't get it. It's a nice finish, but he's barely getting over the rim on that. I think people are seeing what they want to see here... hell, maybe I'm one of them. But when I think twitter-worthy explosion, that ain't it.

It's a step up from a WNBA dunk, which can also set social media ablaze for no intelligible reason.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As someone ok with bamba at 4:

Yup. If that is not some aberration, it makes Bamba quite intriguing. It much more likely Bamba adds a three point shot than Doncic adds lateral quickness.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy drove from past the three point and dunked and nobody could stop him. Now you guys are mad he's not spectacular enough? How many dunks did Nash do?

no one's mad. People are questioning why twitter is going crazy over a nice drive and finish like he just went Amare on Olowakandi.

STOP PROJECTING STUPID ARGUMENTS ON TO OTHERS BECAUSE IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE YOUR POINT STRONGER.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
no one's mad. People are questioning why twitter is going crazy over a nice drive and finish like he just went Amare on Olowakandi.

STOP PROJECTING STUPID ARGUMENTS ON TO OTHERS BECAUSE IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE YOUR POINT STRONGER.

My argument is stupid ....really? You guys keep harping he's not athletic enough . Here he drives from outside the three line and dunks and somehow it wasn't impressive enough. Pffft...he got the job done.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My argument is stupid ....really?

holy crap. YOU JUST DID IT AGAIN. I'll go all caps again since you're either willfully ignoring this or just too dense to understand.

1) NO ONE CALLED YOUR ARGUMENT STUPID.

2) PEOPLE SAID THEY WERE SURPRISED THE DUNK GOT SO MUCH ATTENTION BECAUSE IT WAS JUST A DECENT PLAY.

3) YOU THEN SAID WE WERE ANGRY ABOUT THIS DUNK.

4) THUS, YOU TOOK OUR INITIAL COMMENT ABOUT THE REACTION TO THE DUNK, TWISTED IT INTO SOMETHING IT WASN'T, WHICH PROJECTING STUPIDITY INTO WHAT WE'RE SAYING, AND THEY YOU ARGUED AGAINST SOMETHING THAT DIDN'T EXIST.

My freaking lord.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My argument is stupid ....really? You guys keep harping he's not athletic enough . Here he drives from outside the three line and dunks and somehow it wasn't impressive enough. Pffft...he got the job done.
Poker. Are you missing the green font, or did you just inadvertently do exactly what he just said. . .again?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The guy drove from past the three point and dunked and nobody could stop him. Now you guys are mad he's not spectacular enough? How many dunks did Nash do?
It was a move that 80% maybe more of NBA players could have done.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Doncic makes a nice dunk but what really impresses me about the kid is he is always emotionally supercharged. This may be a detriment in the beginning but he wants it... and badly. I like this in a player.

There is a lot to work with going forward.

By the way there was contact on that dunk.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
holy crap. YOU JUST DID IT AGAIN. I'll go all caps again since you're either willfully ignoring this or just too dense to understand.

1) NO ONE CALLED YOUR ARGUMENT STUPID.

2) PEOPLE SAID THEY WERE SURPRISED THE DUNK GOT SO MUCH ATTENTION BECAUSE IT WAS JUST A DECENT PLAY.

3) YOU THEN SAID WE WERE ANGRY ABOUT THIS DUNK.

4) THUS, YOU TOOK OUR INITIAL COMMENT ABOUT THE REACTION TO THE DUNK, TWISTED IT INTO SOMETHING IT WASN'T, WHICH PROJECTING STUPIDITY INTO WHAT WE'RE SAYING, AND THEY YOU ARGUED AGAINST SOMETHING THAT DIDN'T EXIST.

My freaking lord.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Poker. Are you missing the green font, or did you just inadvertently do exactly what he just said. . .again?

I'll talk to you because cheese seems like he's out of his meds....again.

I thought the play was impressive 'enough' to get a little hype. He drove by a slew of defenders and dunked without too much difficulty.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It was a move that 80% maybe more of NBA players could have done.

Yeah but he's supposed to be unathletic so I think maybe some people got jazzed up seeing his capabilities. If he has some athletism then that will go far with his court vision and Bball IQ.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Doncic makes a nice dunk but what really impresses me about the kid is he is always emotionally supercharged. This may be a detriment in the beginning but he wants it... and badly. I like this in a player.

There is a lot to work with going forward.

By the way there was contact on that dunk.

People don't give him enough credit for his will to win. With that attitude players can overcome a lot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People don't give him enough credit for his will to win. With that attitude players can overcome a lot.

Jackson is a freak athlete but his desire to win stands out much like Doncic. I like his attitude a lot.

A lot of very good players were not phenomenal athletes as you noted with Nash.

Doncic will be a very good player.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get that he is hyper competitive. But Shane Battier was hyper competitive too, and basketball smart. There is a limit to how far that can take you. Guys. If we draft Doncic I will be a huge fan, but right now he scares me. The hype seems way out of proportion.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get that he is hyper competitive. But Shane Battier was hyper competitive too, and basketball smart. There is a limit to how far that can take you. Guys. If we draft Doncic I will be a huge fan, but right now he scares me. The hype seems way out of proportion.

This. You can be determined as all hell. You can even manage to make an amazing play. We see it from bench players in the NBA all the time. It doesn't make you athletic. Give me a break.

Having said that I think he is average. I kind of thought that was what everyone was getting at by not over hyping a single play.

Pokerface made it sounds like people were saying he was Joe Kline. I didn't read that at all.

I think the guy has a high basketball IQ but what makes me hesitant is his speed compared to what he will face in the NBA.

Last edited: