2018-19 Season | Point Guard Discussion

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kyrie is leaving anyway.

aaasssss the Brooklyn Nets fans have pointed out.

It would be best if the Celtics kept Terry Rozier.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
These are grown men, and supposedly top negotiators. I can't imagine any scenario where referring to a trade piece as not worthy of a bag of chips would ruin any future diplomacy.

Might make it hard to bring in Rozier later.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You and the guys at fivethirtyeight are all mathmeticians. I am not. They are usually pretty solid with their numbers or I would not have posted it. I do think it is worthy of more investigation.

It's a correlation thing. What they found (assuming their numbers are correct) is that a player with more steals has a much greater impact on his team's success, presumably because the steals are an indicator of good overall defense (even though we know that sometimes they are not). So steals become a convenient approximation of the player's overall impact.

A single steal by itself isn't worth nine points, but that's not really the claim. The claim (for example) is that a player who averages two steals instead of one is, correlationally, likely to have an overall game that improves his team by nine points.

Note that steals are also (usually) a product of good hands, good court awareness, and quickness, all of which help the player's game in other ways. So another way of think about the 538 analysis is that the kind of player who can give you an extra steal per game probably has a higher overall skill set.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would never trade with pompous ass Ainge.

Yet I would take him running this franchise in a heartbeat. He might be pompous but it is simply stupid to burn bridges in the NBA. Especially, when you are a smaller market team.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Yet I would take him running this franchise in a heartbeat. He might be pompous but it is simply stupid to burn bridges in the NBA. Especially, when you are a smaller market team.

I don't think bridges are being burned here. These are professionals. Ainge knows that Rozier is not worth a bag of chips.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think bridges are being burned here. These are professionals. Ainge knows that Rozier is not worth a bag of chips.

No doubt he knows. Just don’t be a dick to someone you may need to negotiate with later. It will bite you later that’s all.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would have preferred better diplomacy, but relieved we are staying away from Rozier.

Whoa. I really really hope this is true.

But seriously - I would much rather have Melton as our starter than Rozier, and I really can't see how anyone who seriously analyizes their recent play could come to any other conclusion.

Without Rozier's little spurt in the playoffs last year nobody would want the guy.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But seriously - I would much rather have Melton as our starter than Rozier, and I really can't see how anyone who seriously analyizes their recent play could come to any other conclusion.

Without Rozier's little spurt in the playoffs last year nobody would want the guy.

Me too but I don't think it's legitimate.

Rozier would interest me a little if it weren't for the reports that he's looking for a big contract. Until we see him playing for another team I'm not sure if we'll know what he is or what he can be. I'd hate to give up value for him only to have him play well enough to interest some rich sucker of a team to buy him away from us this offseason. And that's not even the worst case scenario, he could just come here and prove that he's nothing more than the product of Brad Stevens.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

It's not. The guy has no affiliation with Boston--heck, his twitter has only 3 tweets on it and he's been a member since 2016.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yeah I don’t think this guy with his 110 followers has legitimate sources and can’t imagine James Jones, one of the classiest guys in the league, to use that type of language.

That said, I hope he’s right about Jones not having any interest in Rozier.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah I don’t think this guy with his 110 followers has legitimate sources and can’t imagine James Jones, one of the classiest guys in the league, to use that type of language.

That said, I hope he’s right about Jones not having any interest in Rozier.

You must get offended easily, buttercup.

Pretty mild language if you ask me. I called him a dogshit player. That is moderate language.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You must get offended easily, buttercup.

Pretty mild language if you ask me. I called him a dogshit player. That is moderate language.
I personally don’t care but I’m sure NBA executibes are held to higher standards than fans. You calling him a dogshit player and an NBA executive saying what he “supposedly” said is two different things.

Not arguing about this though because it’s pretty obvious that it’s not legitimate.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I personally don’t care but I’m sure NBA executibes are held to higher standards than fans. You calling him a dogshit player and an NBA executive saying what he “supposedly” said is two different things.

Not arguing about this though because it’s pretty obvious that it’s not legitimate.

I bet NBA executives are much more like you and me when talking privately.

Look at all the comment BC made on Twitter about 76er players...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Buckle your seat belts... again.

https://fansided.com/2019/01/16/nba-15-trades-2019-day-3-suns-wizards-john-wall/

For anyone who doesn't want to click the link, this fan trade is John Wall for Ryan Anderson, the Milwaukee pick and our 2nd rounder this summer.
Just a suggested trade, not a rumor. If we were to get Wall, this is the way to do it. We get out from under Anderson, and we give up peanuts. The negative of course is that Wall is a shell of his former self. Imagine having a declining player (like Ariza was) but at $40 mil per year.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
That a boy James. Ruin any chance of future transactions involving the Celtics! I hope he was more tactful.
Those guys say stuff like that all the time. I’m just surprised if it was leaked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just a suggested trade, not a rumor. If we were to get Wall, this is the way to do it. We get out from under Anderson, and we give up peanuts. The negative of course is that Wall is a shell of his former self. Imagine having a declining player (like Ariza was) but at $40 mil per year.

Um no.

Does nobody understand our cap situation?

We have Oubre and Holmes to resign this offseason. That is going to be minimum $25 million a year commitment.
We have to pay Ayton between 10 -12 million per year for the next three years. We are going to get another high draft pick most likely that will be minimum 5-6 million a year
We have TJ signed for the next 3 years at about 12 million per, Booker at about 30 million per. Bridges is another 4 million

So for our top 7 players - we are going to have a salary commitment of around 96 million - The entire cap is likely 105 million or so.

We have Melton to resign after next year - if we can even find the cap room because we don't have full bird rights, we have Jackson to resign the year after that, then we have Ayton and Bridges to sign after that.

There is no way in hell we can take on Wall's contract unless Sarver wants to pay luxury tax within a couple years. Newsflash - he doesn't.

If we could squeeze wall's contract in, you can forget get any free agents other than min contract guys for the next 4 years.

WALL is not getting traded anywhere unless the cap goes up 20 million or more unexpectedly. No team is stupid enough to take on that contract unless they have equally horrendous contracts they are unloading in the process. Anderson's contract does not qualify - it expires after next season.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Suns aren't trading for Wall, period. I don't know whether it was ever an option, but it certainly isn't now. Fans can devise whatever nonsense fantasy scenarios they want; it has no bearing on the real world.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Um no.

Does nobody understand our cap situation?

We have Oubre and Holmes to resign this offseason. That is going to be minimum $25 million a year commitment.
We have to pay Ayton between 10 -12 million per year for the next three years. We are going to get another high draft pick most likely that will be minimum 5-6 million a year
We have TJ signed for the next 3 years at about 12 million per, Booker at about 30 million per. Bridges is another 4 million

So for our top 7 players - we are going to have a salary commitment of around 96 million - The entire cap is likely 105 million or so.

We have Melton to resign after next year - if we can even find the cap room because we don't have full bird rights, we have Jackson to resign the year after that, then we have Ayton and Bridges to sign after that.

There is no way in hell we can take on Wall's contract unless Sarver wants to pay luxury tax within a couple years. Newsflash - he doesn't.

If we could squeeze wall's contract in, you can forget get any free agents other than min contract guys for the next 4 years.

WALL is not getting traded anywhere unless the cap goes up 20 million or more unexpectedly. No team is stupid enough to take on that contract unless they have equally horrendous contracts they are unloading in the process. Anderson's contract does not qualify - it expires after next season.
You do know that we have Holmes' Bird Rights, correct? He shouldn't be factored into the projected cap.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05