2023 1st round pick is #6 Paris Johnson

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with Brit. I believe the Cardinals are going to run into a struggle adding meaningful talent next year outside of the draft. This will lead to them keeping some players they should let go.

I don't even think it's a particularly good FA group next year to add talent from.

It's more a "deepen the roster" group than add top end talent.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't even think it's a particularly good FA group next year to add talent from.

It's more a "deepen the roster" group than add top end talent.
Most FA classes consistently leave a lot to be desired. It is one reason I believe it is prudent to add quality players every year if available vs targeting one big FA year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly? I think high. I think the team love his energy and style of play.

Cutting him saves $5.5m. I'm guessing they value his attitude and locker room presence more than $5.5m.
I thought he was a goner 100% before the start of the season. Now I put it at about 65/35 he gets cut.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Next FA, my hope is the Cardinals add some DL depth, LG, veteran CB, S, maybe WR.

I imagine Jon Gaines will come in at LG next year although I'd expect them to draft someone later to develop.

The CB FA market next year is rank. The best guy available under 30 is Adoree Jackson and he's ass.

It's old guys, major projects (Okudah, CJ henderson) and guys who's max is average CB2.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I imagine Jon Gaines will come in at LG next year although I'd expect them to draft someone later to develop.

The CB FA market next year is rank. The best guy available under 30 is Adoree Jackson and he's ass.

It's old guys, major projects (Okudah, CJ henderson) and guys who's max is average CB2.
Looks like we will have to build the CB room from the draft

I do not like Wilson so far and our depth is really weak

So trade as many players at the trade deadline that have any value and try for an on target draft

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The underbelly of the team is well stocked. Now we need legit good NFL starters!
Is it? Where?

I get that we need to push some guys down out of starting positions, but who are the guys second on the depth chart and below you're feeling good about?

I think the EDGE group is stacked. I think we have 3-4 NFL-caliber players and the entire unit is coming back in 2024. Despite what I post about Ojulari, I think he'll be an above-replacement-level player.

At TE, Jeff Swaim is a 2024 free agent and Zach Ertz has a staggering $12.5 million cap charge in 2024. That's currently the eight-highest cap hold among TEs in 2024 (counting Taysom Hill LOL).

Hump, PJJ, and Beachum are all under contract in 2024. You can feel pretty good about OT.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Is it? Where?

I get that we need to push some guys down out of starting positions, but who are the guys second on the depth chart and below you're feeling good about?

I think the EDGE group is stacked. I think we have 3-4 NFL-caliber players and the entire unit is coming back in 2024. Despite what I post about Ojulari, I think he'll be an above-replacement-level player.

At TE, Jeff Swaim is a 2024 free agent and Zach Ertz has a staggering $12.5 million cap charge in 2024. That's currently the eight-highest cap hold among TEs in 2024 (counting Taysom Hill LOL).

Hump, PJJ, and Beachum are all under contract in 2024. You can feel pretty good about OT.
Ha - that was more a classic Cards comment than anything...lots of talk back in the day about building up the underbelly, and it seems what is old is new again.

Most of are "starters" are actually depth guys. We need to find a way to get some above average starters, which I think we have precious few.

D-
Budda
Jalen
?

Seriously, do we have any other ABOVE AVERAGE starters on D?

Offense -
Kyler
James Conner (generous)
Hollywood is a decent #2, not an above average starter as a 1 for sure

Not sure how any other starter would be considered above average. There is much work to be done.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The underbelly of the team is well stocked. Now we need legit good NFL starters!

Is it? Where?

I feel like we are starting quite a few dudes who will be solid back-ups next year.
Plus we will be adding several draft picks (6 in top 75ish).
I would think a starting free agent or two.

We need impact players, which we don't have right now.
The depth seems like it could be better next year than in a long long time.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Ha - that was more a classic Cards comment than anything...lots of talk back in the day about building up the underbelly, and it seems what is old is new again.

Most of are "starters" are actually depth guys. We need to find a way to get some above average starters, which I think we have precious few.

D-
Budda
Jalen
?

Offense -
Kyler
James Conner (generous)

Not sure how any other starter would be considered above average. There is much work to be done.

Fair enough. The D is a rolling catastrophe, which is why some of us were sensitive about losing Byron Murphy and Zach Allen. I think that with a better pass rush in front of them Wilson and Clark will be fine. It's just a tough look right now when we have to game pressure or it never arrives.

On offense, Kyler, Conner, Ertz, the Captain, PJJ, and Hernandez are good. Michael Wilson might develop into an above-average starter. Hollywood is above replacement level.

I feel like we are starting quite a few dudes who will be solid back-ups next year.
Plus we will be adding several draft picks (6 in top 75ish).
I would think a starting free agent or two.

We need impact players, which we don't have right now.
The depth seems like it could be better next year than in a long long time.
Who are you thinking?

I don't expect a lot from draft picks. The top two might drop in as adequate starters immediately, but the rest like are B.J. Ojulari-caliber fringe-ish players for at least the first half of their rookie seasons. It's just unlikely that you're going to get 2-3 impact players from a draft class (not impossible).

I think we need one elite player on offense and two on defense. I think we need four our five additional starting-quality players on the defense to be competitive, and maybe one or two more on the offense (especially if we let Ertz and Conner walk in 2024). Roster looks really bad right now. We could use three of those top six picks on defensive linemen.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Who are you thinking?

I don't expect a lot from draft picks.

Totally agree with you on elite/impact players - we need them and don't have them.

Outside of above - I am purely talking about depth.
2023 draft - we got 2 starters and 7 depth guys (all the way through round 6).
2024 draft - we will have 6 of top 75 picks and will get another 2-3 starters and probably 6-10 guys for depth.
We signed a few solid free agents this year Wallace, White, etc and I expect a handful of those again next year.

Not saying super talented but "potentially" (should probably add that) good depth/better than we have had in a long time.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Totally agree with you on elite/impact players - we need them and don't have them.

Outside of above - I am purely talking about depth.
2023 draft - we got 2 starters and 7 depth guys (all the way through round 6).
2024 draft - we will have 6 of top 75 picks and will get another 2-3 starters and probably 6-10 guys for depth.
We signed a few solid free agents this year Wallace, White, etc and I expect a handful of those again next year.

Not saying super talented but "potentially" (should probably add that) good depth/better than we have had in a long time.

I don't think 20% of our team will be rookies and second-year players in 2024. Those elite players have to come from somewhere, and you hope one of them is that top 5 pick.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

D-
Budda
Jalen
?

Offense -
Kyler
James Conner (generous)

On the offense...take a closer look at the line.. Hump is average...surprisingly, Frodo has been above average...and PB&J might get a pro bowl alternate nod as a rookie.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
First game that paris really struggled. Hes been one of the few bright spots this season.

Hopefully it was just a one off
According to PFF Paris has been the worst of the OTs drafted in the 1st round by a good margin. We might've have been better off just staying at 12. He's still been good overall.