2023 2nd round #41 pick is BJ Ojulari LB

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
It's one pre-season game but I didn't see anything good from him.

#53 and #57 created constant pressure and #57 played the run so much better than BJ.

Hopefully, dude isn't 100% or just rusty.

That was a very important pick for us (high 2nd)...we have to hit on those.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Weird that we haven't heard peep one about him in camp. Was he simply injured and not participating? If so, why no commentary about his progress?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Weird that we haven't heard peep one about him in camp. Was he simply injured and not participating? If so, why no commentary about his progress?
It was reported he had minor surgery on his knee (cleanup), based on something found during the draft process. There’s an article somewhere on here, from training camp…and I think Gannon mentioned it in one of his daily pressers. He just started practicing last week and finally got game action yesterday.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
There was an ESPN article summarizing the preseason of every single draft pick, and for Ojulari they detailed the off-season surgery and said something to the effect of “it would probably be too risky to cut him and try to stash him on the practice squad to continue developing.”

The fact that someone is even intimating that we cut our second round pick is… wow!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

He missed pretty much all of camp with an injury. Saturday was his first game snaps.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Even so, for a 2nd rounder supposed to be our big-time pass rusher, you'd expect to hear at least updates every once in a blue moon. I honestly forgot about him for most of the summer.
Bro he literally wasn't around for training camp. We only hear reports about players that play. There was the occasional mention that he was hurt.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The Cards picked guys who would require unusually long development time. He may be fine, but he’s very raw. He won’t endanger the tanking effort.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Wait. I thought the thing was that he was polished.
Yeah that's what every scouting report I've read about him has stated. Ojulari already knows a ton of pass rush moves, more than the typical college player. I've actually read it as a negative because he tries moves that he isn't very good at LOL.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
he Cards picked guys who would require unusually long development time. He may be fine, but he’s very raw. He won’t endanger the tanking effort.

This really isn't true. Paris Johnson, Michael Wison and Kei Trel Clark all look to have earned starting positions or significant playing time. Hopefully, Ojulari will also develop quickly and earn playing time early in the season.

As reported, he had minor knee surgery and missed all of the off-season workouts and most of the preseason. He's just now getting back on the field and has only had contact drills for about a week or two. Anyone who thinks he may be cut is not a serious observer of the Arizona football team.

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score
There was an ESPN article summarizing the preseason of every single draft pick, and for Ojulari they detailed the off-season surgery and said something to the effect of “it would probably be too risky to cut him and try to stash him on the practice squad to continue developing.”

The fact that someone is even intimating that we cut our second round pick is… wow!
That's not true. The ESPN article on him reads as follows:

"Ojulari missed OTA's, minicamp and almost the first two weeks of training camp with a knee injury that was cleaned up between the combine and NFL draft. He's been brought along slowly since he returned but is part of a very deep outside linebackers room."

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This really isn't true. Paris Johnson, Michael Wison and Kei Trel Clark all look to have earned starting positions or significant playing time. Hopefully, Ojulari will also develop quickly and earn playing time early in the season.

As reported, he had minor knee surgery and missed all of the off-season workouts and most of the preseason. He's just now getting back on the field and has only had contact drills for about a week or two. Anyone who thinks he may be cut is not a serious observer of the Arizona football team.
Agree. Coming off a procedure of any kind, an EDGE player will always be tentative to plant and go. I said from day 1 when he wasn’t seeing time during the offseason OTA’s etc, that we wouldn’t get much of a contribution from him for at least the first quarter of the season.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was frankly surprised about how pedestrian he looked.

yeah he didn't show much and that was against third stringers for the most part. I wouldn't count on him for much of anything this season based off of what I saw.

Hopefully he can eventually develop now that he finally is getting some reps with the team.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was frankly surprised about how pedestrian he looked.
Same here, I know he didn’t get much work in during camp but he looked slooooow. No real burst at all, but he really is just now starting his true training camp. Gonna take him a few weeks

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Same here, I know he didn’t get much work in during camp but he looked slooooow. No real burst at all, but he really is just now starting his true training camp. Gonna take him a few weeks
Do we know which knee it was? Wondering if which side of the defense he lines up on has anything do with his explosiveness, or lack thereof. I seem to recall he was lined up on the left side of the defense against the Vikings.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Do we know which knee it was? Wondering if which side of the defense he lines up on has anything do with his explosiveness, or lack thereof. I seem to recall he was lined up on the left side of the defense against the Vikings.
He was most often lined up on the defense's left side over the offense's right tackle.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
yeah he didn't show much and that was against third stringers for the most part. I wouldn't count on him for much of anything this season based off of what I saw.

Hopefully he can eventually develop now that he finally is getting some reps with the team.

You saw a guy who had a knee procedure and missed camp.

How anyone can draw conclusions from that is mind-boggling.