2024 1st round pick #4 is Marvin Harrison Jr

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Outside of the Rams game, he's been mostly invisible. He's not at all what I expected...I thought he'd be a beast on contested catches and get separation. He doesn't do either of these things. For a guy with his pedigree, I expected a much more finished product.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Nonsense. He was drafted #4 overall and the first non-QB drafted. What would have performing at the Combine accomplished?

This is a choice. Malik Nabers has no problem getting easy targets in an even weaker receiver corps. Getting MHJ and McBride involved earlier is a structural problem.
Agree. It's crazy that the focus is so much on getting Conner rolling instead of getting Kyler, McBride and MHJ rolling.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Has Marvin ever been in motion at the snap to give him a running start and some separation? Why not do anything creative to get him going instead of forcing high difficulty contested catches to him over and over?

Reactions: PJ1

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Has Marvin ever been in motion at the snap to give him a running start and some separation? Why not do anything creative to get him going instead of forcing high difficulty contested catches to him over and over?
No which is part of the problem. That is a Petzing issue for sure.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nonsense. He was drafted #4 overall and the first non-QB drafted. What would have performing at the Combine accomplished?

This is a choice. Malik Nabers has no problem getting easy targets in an even weaker receiver corps. Getting MHJ and McBride involved earlier is a structural problem.

Maybe I'm just explaining what the Cards own coaches and players, Michael Wilson in particular, said about the X receiver spot. The design of it in this offense means more 1 on 1 plays and more 50/50 balls. Wilson said it was a big adjustment for him to have to play it as a rookie when Hollywood got hurt

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. It's crazy that the focus is so much on getting Conner rolling instead of getting Kyler, McBride and MHJ rolling.

They want to play 2 and 3 TE's and control the ball is my take.

I assume that's because they see the WR room and think they HAVE to play that way

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Outside of the 1st qtr vs the Rams it’s been bad. Without the 4th down catch last week you could say he’s no showed in 3 games so far. Those of you who had concerns around draft time that he wasn’t WR1 definitely look warranted.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Outside of the Rams game, he's been mostly invisible. He's not at all what I expected...I thought he'd be a beast on contested catches and get separation. He doesn't do either of these things. For a guy with his pedigree, I expected a much more finished product.

I hate to say it, but MHJ reminds me of N'Keal Harry, a jump ball type receiver.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
They want to play 2 and 3 TE's and control the ball is my take.

I assume that's because they see the WR room and think they HAVE to play that way
I don't buy this. MHJ, Wilson, McBride and Tip is a fine personnel group and still is 2 TE. Basically, what I see is to run this offense through Conner vs Kyler which is a choice.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just explaining what the Cards own coaches and players, Michael Wilson in particular, said about the X receiver spot. The design of it in this offense means more 1 on 1 plays and more 50/50 balls. Wilson said it was a big adjustment for him to have to play it as a rookie when Hollywood got hurt
How is this approach working out for you?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is this approach working out for you?

I'm not saying it's good I'm just saying it's apparently the design of the position in our offense. Mina Kimes also hinted that coaches told her as Marv got better at more routes, he would get a bigger route tree and that would help.

I'm definitely open to some changes in the offense.

I just think it's pretty apparent they expected him to be able to win at the LOS more than he's been able to do.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
it's like the college game came too easy for him, and he didn't put in the effort transitioning to the NFL where secondaries are bigger, faster, stronger.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, everybody pretty much thought he was the best wr coming out of college. Everybody seems to have raved about him in camp. I'm not giving up on him after 6 games.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t see us utilizing his route running ability. It seems most of his routes are designed to be contested.
I saw Amon St.Brown today line up outside. Came in motion and as the ball was snapped he streaked across the middle of the field. A 5 yard pass became an easy 15 yards gain.

We are not using his speed. He is to talented to be underperforming this much.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t see us utilizing his route running ability. It seems most of his routes are designed to be contested.
I saw Amon St.Brown today line up outside. Came in motion and as the ball was snapped he streaked across the middle of the field. A 5 yard pass became an easy 15 yards gain.

We are not using his speed. He is to talented to be underperforming this much.

St Brown is VERY quick, Marv isn't, at least not yet.

Go back to the first target the ball that was incomplete. It was 3rd and 9, not really a ton of pressure and Marv ran about 3-4 yard route turned around and stopped. The DB was playing to take away the sideline so Kyler threw the ball inside, where it landed easily several yards past him with no defenders in sight.

It was 1 on 1 on 3rd and 9 and Marv didn't even remotely beat his man and didn't run the route Kyler wanted him to. We're seeing that over and over with him so far.

He does have big play ability but the idea that he was going to be running wide open all over the field, like Stroud told us he was in college on draft day, has NOT been remotely true.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
He needs more targets, his average yardage per catch is 16.4, 12th best in the league.

Is it a scheme thing or a quarterback thing. We drafted a “Maserati”, we need to use it.
He's a Maserati with the aggressiveness of Yugo. He's got to toughen up and make plays on balls, instead of continuing to let defenders knock him off his route and/or waiting for the ball to get to him.

akg102

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know what people are expecting from him.
We are seeing the player we knew he was when we drafted him. He was the great route running, balanced option of the top 3 in the draft.

Want separation through shear quickness? Draft Nabers.
Want great hands and contested catches? Draft Odunze.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22