2024 1st round pick #4 is Marvin Harrison Jr

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you watched the Petzing presser he said he's pleased with where Marv is but "he needs to clean some things up." Now Petzing says clean things up like most people use the word "the" so not a big thing but if you watch the whole thing he says it on Marv several times. At one point someone asks him about the analysis(from people like Kimes) that alot of the plays to Marv are low percentage or 50/50 balls and does he have a comment on it and he said no.

I've watched 3 of them now with Petzing I think it's obvious that he thinks the issues between Kyler and marv, are largely on Marv, and that there's communication and just being in the right place issues that they're working on during the week. Week after week he says Kyler is doing a good job of keeping even keel, which is a polite way of saying he's not blowing up at all the drops, bad routes and other things he's seeing.

Petzing was asked if the Wr group is performing as they expected and he without batting an eye says yes, if that's true the entire staff should be fired for knowing the Wr room was this mediocre and not doing anything to upgrade it.
WR coach is going to be the fall Guy if nothing changes.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really did not want us to draft him. Wanted us to trade down and still manage to draft Rome Odunze but get some other picks as well. Even if we missed out on Odunze - I wanted us to get more players. We were not one top WR away from being a contender.

Something just seemed off about MHJ with the way he was handling everything coming out of college. And then there is the history of all of the father and son tandems that have ever played in the NFL - no son has ever followed a HOF career by their father with a HOF career of their own. We are already bad enough - we don't need to try and beat history while we are at it.

Just like Murray, I will keep hoping he proves me wrong. As a fan - even if you wouldn't have drafted either guy - you have no choice but to cheer for the players we do have. SMH.
You wonder if, because he doesn’t necessarily have the money motivation because he grew up with money and, presumably, his pops still had a good chunk of change, maybe he doesn’t feel the urge to have to put in the work to have a long career like a bunch of these guys do.

It’s too early to tell but it is something that might be worth considering and keeping an eye on

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You wonder if, because he doesn’t necessarily have the money motivation because he grew up with money and, presumably, his pops still had a good chunk of change, maybe he doesn’t feel the urge to have to put in the work to have a long career like a bunch of these guys do.

It’s too early to tell but it is something that might be worth considering and keeping an eye on

Where are you getting this, "he doesn't feel the urge to have to put in the work..."?

Every word I have read about him says the complete opposite.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are you getting this, "he doesn't feel the urge to have to put in the work..."?

Every word I have read about him says the complete opposite.
I mean after mini camps an entire training camp and into week 7 of the season you prob shouldn't be making mistakes as to what routes your running at this point. Could very well be a lack of knowing the PB like you should IE a lack of putting in the work?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WR coach is going to be the fall Guy if nothing changes
FWIW Petzing implied that Zay Jones will be a big help because he's so experienced. I took that to mean both we need Wr help, and one of the issues now is only 1 WR on the roster playing, Dortch, has much experience so they're hoping Jones will have a better feel for things

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean after mini camps an entire training camp and into week 7 of the season you prob shouldn't be making mistakes as to what routes your running at this point. Could very well be a lack of knowing the PB like you should IE a lack of putting in the work?

I think he's a hard worker, at least the staff says he is.

One of the points being made now is because we run so much 3 TE, it puts a much bigger load on Marvs' shoulders than any of the other rookie WR's have. He's often the only WR on the field in 3 TE sets, so if it's an RPO and the defense stacks the box for the run, Kyler at times only has 2 or 3 receivers in the route, Marv, McBride and Higgins, 4 if Conner goes out. So there's MUCH more pressure on Marv to get open and because we're in multiple TE's so often he almost always has the opposing teams best CB on him.

Agree with all that but still, I expected him to win those matchups more than he seems to be winning.

Note that comment about the 3 TE stuff comes from Dan Orlovsky who did a review of Murray's play so far and commented on the Wr situation with us and why he thinks Marv is struggling

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
One of the points being made now is because we run so much 3 TE, it puts a much bigger load on Marvs' shoulders than any of the other rookie WR's have.

Malik Nabers has missed all of October so far and still has almost 2x the targets that MHJ has. So I'm gonna say this is cap.

So there's MUCH more pressure on Marv to get open and because we're in multiple TE's so often he almost always has the opposing teams best CB on him.

This is just poor play design, then. That's not on MHJ that there are five DBs covering him and he can't get open.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Malik Nabers has missed all of October so far and still has almost 2x the targets that MHJ has. So I'm gonna say this is cap.

This is just poor play design, then. That's not on MHJ that there are five DBs covering him and he can't get open.

I don't think he's going against 5 defenders or even 3 but he does often see 2.

The point is when we have 3 TE's in, and we throw the ball, there's much more pressure on Marv and Trey to get open because they're the only real receiving threats on the field.

orlovsky talked about Ja Marr Chase as a rookie and said obviously he was just brilliant that year but he was also in a much more wide open system with multiple WR's on the field on every play.

Note I'm not saying I totally agree with it either, there's just been too many plays where Marv is 1 on 1 and isn't winning.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That was good because I finally got a good replay of the ball over the middle the one Frank Sanders said was a good throw and a poor route by Marv. Now i get what he was saying I misunderstood him. If you watch closely, Marv starts to turn before he gets to the 30 and then is completely turned about the 30, but instead of going across the field at the 30, his next step actually goes past the 30. That's why he didn't reach the throw and it's also why he got hit by the safety coming from behind he took another step towards the safety coming up.

Kyler was leading him across the field, but Kyler's throw was assuming Marv would be cutting across at the 30, and he took that one extra step before he starts to do that. That one step is why the throw is too far in front of him.