2024 1st round pick #4 is Marvin Harrison Jr

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
His dad has been giving him feedback his whole life. Is that really what he needs?
Sure, but there is a difference to our reception of feedback after we have landed on our face. Could be some of the things that his dad has been preaching to him have been going in one ear and out the other.

Last edited:

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure, but there is a difference to our reception of feedback after we have landed on our face. Could be some of the things that his dad has been preaching to him have been in one ear and out the other.
And sometimes who is giving the feedback can matter too.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's a failure on all levels. Petzing needs to emphasize getting MHJ the ball. Kyler needs to identify when MHJ has an easy matchup, and accurately get him the ball on time. Late and high is the most consistent part of Kyler in the passing game. MHJ needs to be more aggressive to the ball and catch it with his hands.
Agreed 100%, it’s a vicious cycle. MHJ isn’t getting open, so he’s not getting the ball. They force it to him, he drops it, so Kyler has less reason to go back to him unless he’s truly wide open.

MHJ is in a bad head space right now. He looked disinterested and going about 70% most of the plays last night. He was jogging through his routes and then had bricks for hands when he did get opportunities. The attempted jump/body catch late in the game was incredibly poor technique and we were lucky he drew a penalty on the play.

He’s got to get it together. I put it on him mainly as he’s got to perform, but as a team they need to try to get him some designed plays. Jet sweeps, sprint options (starts in the slot to one side, goes in motion, snap the ball and he sprints to the flat for an easy completion), quick outs when the defense gives a 10 yard cushion, etc.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The failure started when Petzng and Kyler echoed the not worried about MHJ targets after week 1.

The problem was exacerbated when JG ****grinned about how we didn't change anything after MHJ's big week 2 game (1st Qrt).

James Conner was great today but this is a loss against any team that had decent weapons on offense. Might have been worse than the Packers game if Herbert had Love's WRs.

A win is a win. However, MHJ and Wilson have 57 yards combined the last two weeks. That's not sustainable. What are we doing to develop those guys because I've seen the story of James Conner eventually getting a injury and we're screwed.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey dude, focus... lose the bling when you're in warm-ups or on the field. You got the rest of your life to show that stuff off... I have young people in my life so I know what that's about. And catch the ball with your hands.

Most of us have played sports at one time or another and we know people who were good, real good. Show it once in a while.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hey dude, focus... lose the bling when you're in warm-ups or on the field. You got the rest of your life to show that stuff off... I have young people in my life so I know what that's about. And catch the ball with your hands.

Most of us have played sports at one time or another and we know people who were good, real good. Show it once in a while.
In addition my fear is his personality will impact his success.

He seems passive to me. Its been mentioned about his focus on his game but I’m beginning to wonder if he seems focused but in reality he is just passive.

Can you have a passive personality and have a great career, maybe?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was bad on a few plays, maybe more, but I don't fault him for the drop on the helmet to helmet hit a week after being concussed.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't want us to draft him and so far I feel right in my original assessment. Hope the kid figures it out at some point.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The term "generational talent" doesn't get thrown out there a lot. Harrison pre draft had the measurables, had the tape, had the pedigree. Last night he was soundly outplayed by Ladddddd.

He's been a big disappointment so far, and nothing of what we expected.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The kid is still a rookie but I haven't been impressed so far. I really want to see more fire from him. I'm not seeing that killer instinct on the football field.
I don’t think a kid with his pedigree and overwhelming hype out of college about being the most polished generational WR in some time holds much weight. Being a rookie isn’t an excuse to just blatantly drop passes over and over and run your routes like youre walking into your Sunday school class 15 mins early.

Card4Life

Rookie
Reaction score
It's a shame we aren't able to go more vertical with him than we are. I know part of the problem is the opposing pass rush getting pressure on Kyler quickly and not having the time to let the deep routes develop. Need to be more creative in how we use him. Line him up more in the slot if that's what it takes until we have better pass protection. With his talent, we have to find ways to get him involved.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I watched him take some plays off during that game which is worrisome. The drops? Looking lost? Maybe they should have eased him into the lineup. He just looks completely lost.
I wonder if someone will bring up Mhj's low effort plays at a press conference. What would the coaching staff say about it?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think a kid with his pedigree and overwhelming hype out of college about being the most polished generational WR in some time holds much weight. Being a rookie isn’t an excuse to just blatantly drop passes over and over and run your routes like youre walking into your Sunday school class 15 mins early.

Can't say I don't agree with this. The Drops and lack of effort when the play isn't coming his way is disappointing.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The kid is still a rookie but I haven't been impressed so far. I really want to see more fire from him. I'm not seeing that killer instinct on the football field.

The term "generational talent" doesn't get thrown out there a lot. Harrison pre draft had the measurables, had the tape, had the pedigree. Last night he was soundly outplayed by Ladddddd.

He's been a big disappointment so far, and nothing of what we expected.

I watched him take some plays off during that game which is worrisome. The drops? Looking lost? Maybe they should have eased him into the lineup. He just looks completely lost.

I think he's not use to being in a run first offense, an OC who seems indifferent if he gets the ball and with a QB who scrambles on plays he's open.

Guys are totally right in questioning his lack of dawg/killer instinct. However, we've seen talented soft NFL players have success. I'm still not sure that he's soft but more disengaged with this outdated passing attack.

He's not Calvin Johnson/Moss like the hype was building him up. However, he looks like a taller CD Lamb as a rookie. CD had more dawg, but MHJ is bigger/more potential.

Lets build him up. Lets keep him engaged. Conner wont be able to carry this team in 2 years.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets build him up. Lets keep him engaged. Conner wont be able to carry this team in 2 years.
I prefer to keep it real and call it like it is. I am cheering for the kid but pretending he isn't playing like he is isn't going to help. We have seen many young NFL players careers derailed by forcing them to do things they were never ready for. I hope that isn't the case and he is just slow out of the gate.

akg102

Veteran
Reaction score
The play of both MHJ and Wilson screams "I have no ball skills, no contested catch ability, no confidence in my hands."
Since Terrell was hired, have we seen an improvement in the passing game or receiving corps?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I prefer to keep it real and call it like it is. I am cheering for the kid but pretending he isn't playing like he is isn't going to help. We have seen many young NFL players careers derailed by forcing them to do things they were never ready for. I hope that isn't the case and he is just slow out of the gate.
I hear you, but I still feel like this is matter of circumstance.

MHJ went off against the Rams. TD early vs the Lions. Everything was going well until the Kyler underthrow on the int. There was a thread here after that game about forcing the ball to MHJ too much. And it kinda felt like that Lions game made them go back into turtle mode.

I will say that I was one of the few here who suggested getting Mike Evans (Bucs signed him early obviously) with MHJ or another guy that shares #1 WR qualities to ease his transition in the NFL. Fitz had Boldin (I know that was a rough year, but still), Moss had Carter, Julio had Roddy White, etc.

There was always a fear I had about MHJ + ??? =profit with his offense. Cause not everyone is Justin Jefferson or Jamar Chase out of the gates.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Can't say I don't agree with this. The Drops and lack of effort when the play isn't coming his way is disappointing.

Do you think Randy Moss was busting his ass when he KNEW that he wasn't part of the play?

If he draws coverage away from the design, he'd done his job.

At this point, I'm pissed at the number of times he attempts to body-catch.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The play of both MHJ and Wilson screams "I have no ball skills, no contested catch ability, no confidence in my hands."
Since Terrell was hired, have we seen an improvement in the passing game or receiving corps?
Its funny cause his passing attack/WRs in Washington wasn't great either. Why was he hired again?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was bad on a few plays, maybe more, but I don't fault him for the drop on the helmet to helmet hit a week after being concussed.

Except he dropped it before the hit.

I'm absolving him of the not blocking on the long catch and run by Conner because he had just taken the helmet hit a few plays earlier and had that one earlier where he hit the first down marker and came up a bit hurt. So I will live with him not trying to block Derwin James on what could have been the game clinching TD.

But the drop it's like the 3rd time at least this year where he jumped for a ball he didn't need to jump for. The reason he dropped it was he jumped and then had to reach down for the ball, that's just a really odd thing for a Wr with his pedigree, it wasn't like it was a long throw he had to track or something the ball was right to him he just jumped for no apparent reason.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan